Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I am a newbie and would like to learn more about Kojic Acid and its efficacy in skin lightening.

I ordered raw material kojic acid Powder Crystals. I was expecting to receive the material along with instructions and use (ei. storage conditions, what to use it on, and how, and prehaps instructions on how to use it). However, I did not know that the company supplies mostly b to b and thus did not suppply that information.

Can any one help me on how to use this product?? It was a pretty expensive and I know its a very good product.

Can anybody PLEASE help!!!
I tried asking in other threads , but everyone ignored my posts.
If anyone knows, please be kind enough to respond.

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
For a 10 percent concentration of Kojic Acid Cream, use as follows:
4 and a half tablespoons of Eucerin Original Lotion
1/2 tablespoon of Kojic Acid Raw Powder

Place the 4 tbsp of Eucerin and 1/2 tbsp of kojic acid powder in a glass pyrex measing cup, mix them together and place them in a shallow pot of boiling water, wrap the glass pyrex with a plastic saran cling wrap and let it heat up on the boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes, after 5 minutes stick a meat thermometer in there to check to see if the temperature is 170 degrees fahrenheit, when it is at that temperature, stir is occassionally until you have seen all the kojic acid dissolve into the cream. Turn off heat and let it cool with the plastic wrap on. Transfer to a air tight, brown or colored pump bottle for use.

For a 20% concentration of Kojic Acid, use 4 tablespoons of Eucerin Lotion and 1 tablespoon of Kojic Acid Powder.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, LightenNLift! I will try that.

I am a mix of asian and spanish (slightly lighter than Jennifer Lopez, more like Selma Heilic), how much should I use throughout the day? (morning, noon, night...under makeup and SPF ?).

How did you learn about the recipe for Kojic Acid Lotion? You seem VERY knowledgable.

·
Registered
524 Posts
does anyone actually use kojic successfully? its notorious for oxidizing (and thus becoming ineffective) no matter what

since u ordered already u might wanna prepare it daily or weekly, at most.

wow, 20% kojic acid?!!?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm... something to think about...Thanks...guess who. So i need to prepare this every day? Is 20% too high?

LNL, do u know where I can find an airtight brown or colored pump bottle ?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I didn't know kojic acid can oxidize quickly?

LNL so 1/2 tablespoon of Kojic Acid Powder equals 10%? How many ounces, ml, or grams will this batch make and how long can it last if only using for the face?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
radientskin, just use twice a day, once in the morning, once at night, thats enough. Yes, guesswhoIam, ALL homemade compounds are made daily or weekly at most. Every active ingredient you can find from tretinoin, to vitamin c, to acids, to hq become oxidized when exposed to air, thats why we put a cap on it after we quickly squeeze some out or use it in a air tight pump bottle. The air even oxidizes food.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
air tight pump bottle: makingcosmetics.com

1/2 tablespoon in accordance to the ratio of eucerin in formula I just listed is 10%, read my posts carefully. The recipe I gave you is for 1 weeks worth of kojic acid cream used on face, neck, and body. If you run out you can always make some more, takes 20 minutes tops.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where and how should I store the kojic acid raw material once I open it? I assume use a strong clip seal to prevent air and light. I can double bag it and keep in a large drum like container.
How do you suggest I handle the material?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long should I do the treatment since I would like to soon do a 15%TCA treatment for acne scarring on my face? ( ia m new to tca peels)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LNL, I went to making cosmetics.com and they dont have the air tight pump bottles in dark containers, they are clear... unless I just didnt see them?%&*

Being that there's oxidization problem with this product, its not a problem for me to make it fresh every day.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
yes make it every other or every three days, just purchase the one from making cosmetics and put your bottle in a brown paper bag or cut the brown paper bag and wrap it around the clear bottle with duct tape.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
524 Posts
oh i heard its good to use bleaching products for a few weeks before you do any peels, to reduce post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. a few weeks prior. since after the peel u cant put anything much more than neosporin for up to a couple weeks or so while skin heals.

·
Registered
819 Posts
does anyone actually use kojic successfully? its notorious for oxidizing (and thus becoming ineffective) no matter what

since u ordered already u might wanna prepare it daily or weekly, at most.

wow, 20% kojic acid?!!?
You need to your kojic acid creams in the fridge. Prevents oxidising.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts