Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is supposedly coming here in England and my legs look like they're made out of lizard skin - or a shedding snake. The skin is flaky and dry, not itchy, but so unsightly! I know the sun will help it but I can see it needs more than that. Exfoliating doesn't seem to help; in fact nothing is making a difference! I have been recommended La Roche Posay ISO-Urea Body Milk Moisturiser - has anyone tried it? Would love to know a bit more about it before I buy. Any opinions gratefully received!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you mean that visible skin on your legs that looks like a crocodile I can tell you that this is genetic! I have had that since I am about 15 and I had an ex-bf who had it since he was 16 and it can only be visibly improved by using glycerine so I have found. Maybe someone else has better advice than me!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If you cannot get glycerine use baby oil, all these do is sit on top really and make it look better though glycerine is a humectant (it attracts moisture).

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Becca
That LRP Urea should do it. Urea is a great moisturizer. You may need to exfoliate and use the Urea several times a day to get it under control!
Unrefined Virgin Coconut Oil is good too and smells nice for summer!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You also might consider using a 15% solution of vitamin C in distilled water. I used it this winter on my legs and it was the first time in years that they were not dry and flaky all winter. It sloughed off the dead, scaly skin and enabled my lotions to penetrate that much better.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You also might consider using a 15% solution of vitamin C in distilled water. I used it this winter on my legs and it was the first time in years that they were not dry and flaky all winter. It sloughed off the dead, scaly skin and enabled my lotions to penetrate that much better.
What do you use as the Vitamin C solution? I would really like to try this as my skin is very dehydrated and is not absorbing much right now-even water rolls off me in the shower!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
What do you use as the Vitamin C solution? I would really like to try this as my skin is very dehydrated and is not absorbing much right now-even water rolls off me in the shower!
I started making this as a simplified version of the C serum (15%) that we talk about alot here. I call it a "vitamin C spritzer." I simply put 15g (1 tablespoon) of l-ascorbic acid crystals in an opaque spray bottle, add enough distilled water to make 100ml and shake well.

The solution keeps well for at least the two weeks that it lasts me. The same rules apply - if it turns yellow (oxidizes) toss it out; I keep it unrefrigerated in a dark place, but in the summer it may require cooler storage.

I spray it all over after bathing and it works as a great exfoliant. But beware - it can leave a yellow tinge on light colored clothing, but it washes out. We haven't quite figured out whether this is dead skin (yuck) or just oxidized ascorbic acid, or both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow guys - thank you all so much for this information. I love it. I am definitely going to start a lab and make the solution. You all make it sound so easy - here's hoping even my small brain will manage!! Will keep you posted.
This forum is great - I love the way I just went to bed, and woke up to all this stuff! THANK YOU. Hope you all have a great day.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Lexi i have to say if you are still having a crete paper on your skin then personally i would recomend using a vit c serum, this will exfoliate the skin and you may not want that at the mo! Just a thought for ya though, others may disagree!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks Mirecka! I think it is the ascorbic acid as I have liquid vitamin C and it stains a yellow anywhere I drip it if I am not careful.

IluvNY I am slowly improving a lot and have had to exfoliate now a few times because my skin actually gets very hard if I do not. I am going today to the dermatologist again and went in there and saw her yesterday briefly (she is near me and also an acquaintance of mine via mutual friends) and she said to me that I NEED to exfoliate gently because my skin is dehydrated and any oils I put on it will not penetrate, Today I am going to have her really examine my skin and discuss remedies. I have concluded that what happened is a combination of the Donell 20 (20% AHA) and the sun which keratonised the outer layer of my skin thereby causing the crepe-paper appearance so suddenly. The hazards of living in the sun! Dehydrated skin is very different than dry skin and it does age the skin dramatically but is not a permanent problem luckily as there are treatments but unfortunately you need to do some exfoliating to get back to the fresher skin which is able to receive the moisture. The trick is balancing exfoliation and healing which is why I made the appointment with the dermatologist to get the best advice on this. Vitamin C should actually help as Mirecka describes it as the antioxidant action and the light exfoliation work in tandem.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow guys - thank you all so much for this information. I love it. I am definitely going to start a lab and make the solution. You all make it sound so easy - here's hoping even my small brain will manage!! Will keep you posted.
This forum is great - I love the way I just went to bed, and woke up to all this stuff! THANK YOU. Hope you all have a great day.
Becca - The l-ascorbic acid can be crystals or powder, but must be pure - no fillers, starches, etc. I just buy the crystals from the local health food store. It dissolves but with difficulty. A number of folks here use ultra-fine powder which dissolves instantly and can be ordered from - Ascorbic Acid, Ultrafine - Lotioncrafter LLC .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, can I just double check Mirecka that I have this right please?! I have sourced the crystals, so am ready to go just about! I simply mix 15g of the crystals with enough distilled water to make 100ml, then shake it up. To use I spray it on my legs after shower/bath. Then...I just leave it and it gets to work, or do I need to rub with a loofah or something? Thanks for your time.

If anyone in the UK is looking for these crystals, try Natures Own - they sell in some health food shops and online too - just google.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by Beccaboo

Ok, can I just double check Mirecka that I have this right please?! I have sourced the crystals, so am ready to go just about! I simply mix 15g of the crystals with enough distilled water to make 100ml, then shake it up.

Yes- that's right. I find that the more room to shake, the better the crystals dissolve. So it's best if the bottle is not completely full.

Quote: Originally Posted by

To use I spray it on my legs after shower/bath. Then...I just leave it and it gets to work, or do I need to rub with a loofah or something? Thanks for your time.

Yes - spray it wherever - except on your eyelids (too sensitive). No need to loofah. Read the following description in the link below. It explains how to use vit C serums / solutions. See especially post #17.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...concotion.html

The key thing is that you need to wait 20 minutes or so after showering/bathing before applying. The pH of most soaps increases the pH of the skin, and this has to drop to below 3.5 in order for the vitamin C to be absorbed into the skin. They say that this takes about 20 minutes.

And then wait 20 minutes or so after applying the solution before using lotions or creams, etc. This is so that the vitamin C has a chance to exfoliate the skin. If one did not care about exfoliation (i.e., just wants the anti-oxidant benefits), then lotion can be applied right after the skin dries.

I generally rub in some lotion afterwards to help ward off the staining effects of the vitamin C. I find that it washes out - but be careful if you have delicate lingerie that cannot take a good washing.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Yes lexi if you use the ferulic with the vit c then this will work as an antioxident, but i must say there are many product out there that you can use for antioxident use as well!

Also as far as dry, dehyrated skin are concerned i agree with you in some aspects but i must add that dry skin ages far faster than oily skin, and also it can easily become de hydrated if not treated properly!

Personally i have always found that in the winter my skin is always far more dry and dehydrated than in the summer, some days it would not even matter how much water i drink its just the way my skin is, but then being on medication might also be a factor of the dry skin, but then according to my GP this should not be the case!

Who knows the truth really!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yes lexi if you use the ferulic with the vit c then this will work as an antioxident, but i must say there are many product out there that you can use for antioxident use as well!
Ferulic acid in a facial/neck serum, yes, but in a body spray too? That sounds very expensive to me. I personally do not think it is necessary for the entire body.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
WELL--I have been to the dermatologist and I have some answers. I do indeed have dehydrated skin and the good news is that it is not permanent but it does require care. I was told it was less the sun actually than it was my overly enthusiastic use of glycolic scrubs, aha's, and manual exfoliation. The AHA at 20% being the number one culprit. I do indeed have to "gently exfoliate" twice a week and I have also been told to wash with non-soap wash (which I do) and continue to moisturise and avoid the sun. If there is no change in 3 months she thinks I may well need to do some peels ALL over which is a daunting thought. She told me that AHA's cause more damage than one would think which I suspected. It is not so much the lower numbers but more the stronger lotions such as the Donell 20 (20% AHA) which do not mix well with the Miami sun EVEN with a strong sunblock on. The way she explained it was more or less what I said in that the skin keratonises because you essentially strip the protective barrier and even with a block the sun does get through to some extent and causes the skin to harden because it is not ready or able to be the "protective" layer as it is fresh new skin. Over time it forms what seems like a shell. The crepe-paper appearance is due to the rigidity of the outer layer not so much laxicity. So now I have some answers though not exactly as easy as I had hoped it would be to treat. I have improved dramatically though so I am hoping it will continue and soon be normal again!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Mirecka i was not trying to say put the ferulic all over your body, but hey i suppose if you want too why not!

Lexi pleased to see your getting your bady back on track! I have to say i cant wait for my dermos appointment

1 - 20 of 29 Posts