Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using La Roche Posay Antehlios Xl 50+ for about 2 weeks now. It's great as a protection against the sun, but it gives me a lot of whitening.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I like Devita zinc oxide 30 sunscreen. It doesn't leave the white ghost look and still is a pretty good screen.
Also Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF45 with Helioplex.
Anything with titanium dioxide I stay well away from - very drying to me plus that white ghost look. Also, it photographs too shiny and opaque. Terrrrrible.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just an idea that I've been aiming to try - how about just adding some self-tanning lotion to the sunscreen? As long as the factor on the sunscreen is high enough it should be able to handle some dilution.

When I bought a nice self-tanner last summer (Clarins) the cosmetician actually advised me to dilute it down with moisturizer to lessen the darkening effect. This way is could be used year-round, if desired, without an abnormally dark tanning result. It did so and it worked well, and stretched out the supply of tanner considerably vs. using it straight.

Of course, the moisturizer is inert compared to the sunscreen, but maybe the actives in the sunscreen won't care about the tanning ingredients. I think it is worth a try and plan to do so in a month or so - it's still too early for suntans here in Canada.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's a super idea mireckca! I seem to recall some sunscreens with a self-tanner in them....maybe it was Clarins! The best of both worlds then!

I like Aveda Sun Source for jump-starting a faux tan - in 2 days it gives me a deep golden color that lasts a week. Maybe now I can add some sunscreen to it....

Skin | care | talk

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
No, Krazy, no mexoryl, but helioplex is supposed to do the same thing: stabilize the avobenzone so that it doesn't degrade on the skin.

Neutrogena | How Helioplex Works

At least that's what the ad says!
I tried Neutrogene Age Shield Face Sunblock today, and it left a horrible smell. It was almost non whitening though
However, it doesn't contain Zinc Oxide, so I'm probably not going to purchase it again.

Any other alternatives? I've heard Avene is great..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been using La Roche Posay Antehlios Xl 50+ for about 2 weeks now. It's great as a protection against the sun, but it gives me a lot of whitening.
i have been using it for many years and was JUST instructed the correct application to avoid the whitening. Apply in short strokes and then roll your fingertips over the surface of your face. it matts the white out. I am Asian, living in Thailand and have to have 50+ everyday, sometimes with make up on top. This was the simple trick needed. hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts