Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im a 20 year old male and here recently Ive been noticing this one spot in the middle of my forehead becoming darker and it can be seen better. I went to my parents and they immediately noticed it. Its not very bad but you can see the different pigmentation very clearly.

I use to get a big red spot on the top of my nose between my eyes due to my sinuses. Im wondering if this might be something associated like that or what? I havent hit it on anything and I noticed it about a year ago and sometimes it goes away and comes back.I thought maybe it might be some pressure or something causing it but I just dont know. I have insurance and eveything but Im not a fan of doctors. Might anyone have some ideas?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Sethro,

Welcome to the site!
You have come to the right place for all your skin care questions.
Firstly, are you a deligent wearer of sunscreen?
Do you notice any other spots on your face?

Cheers,
Gigi

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill try to get a pic and I have no other spots except a few acne blemishes and spots and no I dont wear sun screen.

sethhall . com/img107.png << Image

Youll need to take out the spaces because it wont let me paste URLs until I post 15 times.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site Sethro! I recommend that you bite the bullet and go see a doctor, but in the meantime go and get yourself a good high spf, something like skf 30- or higher. the sun may be the culprit however it could be something totaly different. Go on and get it checked then when the doc has seen it, we'll be able to help you better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like hyperpigmentation aka Melasma. Those with brownish skin tones are at greatest risk.

Melasma is an area of tan or brown coloring that usually appears on the face. A woman with skin that pigments easily may develop melasma if she is pregnant, or taking certain forms of birth control. Not sure what might explain it in men.

Creams containing a combination of tretinoin, kojic acid, and azelaic acid have been shown to improve the appearance of melasma. Occasionally, your doctor may recommend chemical peels or topical steroid creams. In severe cases, laser treatments can be used to remove the dark pigment.

Avoiding the sun and using sunscreen are key to preventing melasma.

I can't diagnose, but this would be on my list to investigate. Using Google Image and doing a search on the condition will produce photos that may help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts