Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Well I am a 36 year old female and a few years ago I tried a over the counter product that said it would clear my pores. When I used it all the tiny pores of my face opened up. I didn't think nothing of it at first other than....eww..and thinking that was meant to happen and that it would shrink back to its normal size eventually. Of course that did not happen.

Shortly after seeing no progress I started investigating online to see what would help. To my disappointment I find out that you can't shrink pore size. I was truly upset and the way I felt about myself changed. I hate going out because I hate the way that I look. The first thing people notice is your face and my face has just become worse over the time.

At age 36 I feel like i'm 80. I have seen older women with gorgeous smooth skin. All they have are wrinkles which I would take over any day over my enlarged pores. They are absolutely hideous. These days not only are the pores on my face bigger but they create the illusion of many tiny lines that look like wrinkles as well. The texture of my skin is very uneven and bumpy too.

When I apply make up on the foundation settles into the deep pores making them look a thousand times bigger. I have been blotting as suggested but it really doesn't help. I'm hoping maybe someone has any advice as which make up products are better for me to use to help with my appearance. Also what skin care products that may help smooth and firm the appearance of my skin. I'm desperate.

I've been thinking about having plastic surgery but I really don't want to. Even the plastic surgery itself does not help remove pore size at all; however, my skin is so bumpy and uneven that i want to tighten it up to see if it'd look any better.

I really don't have that kind of money to spend on plastic surgery, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately you can't really get rid of large pores for genetics reasons but that don't mean you can't fake the funk. 1 quick Simple trick is too ice your face in cold water no longer than 45 secs. causes your pores to shrink and look smaller. Dermadoctor has some good products if you wanna check them out. Most importantly keep your pores clean because they only get worse if you don't.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ditto to the previous poster. You are stuck with your pore size. You can minimze the appearance by using a good foundation, and a foundation primer, which partially fills them in before you apply your makeup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel your pain =( I don't know of any women out there, that doesn't want perfect skin and we all have our skin challenges. I can't say that I'm an expert, but I do know a little about skin care and I think I can help.

First, I need you to answer a few questions and to be honest! How often are you washing your face? With what product(s)? Is your skin oily and in what areas? Do you use a Toner or Moisturizer? If so, what brand(s)? Do you use an exfoilating product? How often, Which one? Do you use a masking product? How often and which one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wrote this really long message and then it got sucked into internet oblivion when I hit the submit button. Hate when that happens!

Anyway, to make it shorter this time, there's not much you can do once you have large/scarred pores. We're stuck with them, unfortunately. Believe me, I feel your pain and I sympathize! I've never seen another woman with pores as awful as mine and I'm only 28! It really sucks to deal with. Basically, what you should focus on first is a good skincare regimen. The most important thing is to do damage control first. Gentle PH balanced cleanser, exfoliation about 3 times a week (manual or chemical), light oil free moisturizer (only where and when needed), a retinol or retinoid product like retin-a or if thats too strong for you...green cream is great. Also a uva/uvb full spectrum sunscreen. After that makeup primer and good foundation will be your second best friend. I've heard Clinique makes a really good pore minimizer you can wear under makeup and I've also heard that silicone foundations are good with large pores.

I'd steer clear of laser/resurfacing treatments like peel and such until you do thorough research. Don't just do what the derm recommends without researching thoroughly! Some of those guys just see us as cash cows and try to capitalize on our pain and desperation. Ablative lasers are not good for large pores even though they claim to be...they're a big gamble and could make your pores worse. Non-ablative would be a better route to go. Anything that isn't taking layers of the top of your skin (the retinol will do that just fine) but rather you want something that helps build and repair the collagen beneath.

Alright...I'm RAMBLING again. I hope that helps. All the best of luck to you!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Do what VibrantThing has recommended. My sister has the same prob, and she uses ice which improves the look of large pores.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I used to have humongous pores. But I've noticed that exfoliating a lot and making sure that my skin is not oily is usually helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do what VibrantThing has recommended. My sister has the same prob, and she uses ice which improves the look of large pores.
Wouldnt that cause those red capilaries??
i was told to use hot water or steam to open the pores to clean them, then splash with freezing cold to close them, but ive notices i have the tiny red capillaries
so im confused on this!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
UglyMe -- you're not ugly -- you're simply focussing on one specific area of your face. I have large pores and have learned to live with them. I found that wearing very little makeup helps -- now I simply use a light blush, eyeshadow, along with light lipstick and I'm ready. I use cosmetic blotter sheets to remove excess oil. I bet those ladies with wrinkled skin would trade their wrinkles for your pores. Play up your best feature -- you'd be surprised to see the scars, pores, & discolouration that celebrities have. That's why there's talented people out there air-brushing them into perfection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have large pores, I have tried quite a few cleansers to no avail. I cannot wear certain makeup, the mineral powder is a big No NO. It seems to magnify all of my skin imperfections. If anyone knows of any good cleanser or moisturizer for oily skin, please feel free to post. Thank you

·
Registered
412 Posts
Get a good tightening mask (MB Temporary Lifting Mask- made with egg) and exfoliate regularly to keep the pores clean and clog-free. I have a few massive pores and I heard that you can get injectable fillers to smooth them out. I dont know if they bother me that much. Try masking a few times a week with clay masks or egg masks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been using Yves Rocher Bio Specific - 4 step.
1-Purifiying cleanser
2-Mattifying toner
3-Pore Refining mask-tightens pores
4-Pore Expert-Pore refining Moisturizer.
Making sure that pores are unclogged and keeping them unclogged and using on a regular basis have really reduced the appearance of the black-heads and large pores on my nose.

·
Registered
40 Posts
as a lot of products for closing pores contain witch hazel, I use it pure, and unadulterated. I keep it in the fridge, and use it morning and evening after cleansing my face. It works for me

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have giant pores and retin a definitely works...eventualy after all the peeling and flaking goes away! I'd rather use a pore mask a few times a week like Temporary Lifting Mask or use my Estee Lauder idealist instead of moisturizer. LUV that stuff. I probably said that 100 times over the months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone,

Well I am a 36 year old female and a few years ago I tried a over the counter product that said it would clear my pores. When I used it all the tiny pores of my face opened up. I didn't think nothing of it at first other than....eww..and thinking that was meant to happen and that it would shrink back to its normal size eventually. Of course that did not happen.

Shortly after seeing no progress I started investigating online to see what would help. To my disappointment I find out that you can't shrink pore size. I was truly upset and the way I felt about myself changed. I hate going out because I hate the way that I look. The first thing people notice is your face and my face has just become worse over the time.

At age 36 I feel like i'm 80. I have seen older women with gorgeous smooth skin. All they have are wrinkles which I would take over any day over my enlarged pores. They are absolutely hideous. These days not only are the pores on my face bigger but they create the illusion of many tiny lines that look like wrinkles as well. The texture of my skin is very uneven and bumpy too.

When I apply make up on the foundation settles into the deep pores making them look a thousand times bigger. I have been blotting as suggested but it really doesn't help. I'm hoping maybe someone has any advice as which make up products are better for me to use to help with my appearance. Also what skin care products that may help smooth and firm the appearance of my skin. I'm desperate.

I've been thinking about having plastic surgery but I really don't want to. Even the plastic surgery itself does not help remove pore size at all; however, my skin is so bumpy and uneven that i want to tighten it up to see if it'd look any better.

I really don't have that kind of money to spend on plastic surgery, so if anyone has any suggestions or advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
hi i m new here i have the same problem large res bumpy uneven skin firstly i used to ave good skin but always hated my freckles only had a few lines anyway i decided to plung for erbium yag weekend laser peel ffor freckles n few wrinkles im 37 btw i looked great at first plumped perfected skin but as the months went by i started looking worse a year n half later im left with large pores skin that looks scarred n bumpy i believe it was the laser and over exfoliation from chemical peels i feel the same as you its awful i know things arnt excellent but getting a little better i ve seen slight improvement in using boots protect & perfect serum and moisuriser then i use clinque pore minimiser over the top i try not to use foundation as it can can make matters look worse if if u do stroke downwards so not to push into the pores same with powder or blush downwards pushing into pores will look worse ie circular motions or upwards i also use kanebo allie sunscreen seems to help minimise i recently purchased tua viso facial excerise might not work for all but seems to even my complexion a little not an overnight fix as there site claims ten days or so i ve been using two n half month and seen slight improvement so im hoping more improvement with more time eh well hope this has helped if anyone can give me any advise would be appreciated too im on a trial n error with all this looking into allsorts researching!

1 - 20 of 116 Posts