Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey you all,
I am also fighting my melasma for 3 years now. I was able to get it lighter by using Phyto+ (Skinceuticals) but I can still see it very clearly w/o makeup and it bother me too much!!!
I am always looking for the latest treatment so last week I went to a skincare SPA and they really recommended the "SPECTRA-PEEL" laser. They say that it helps a lot with melasma or any brown/age spots. Also they mentioned that there is almost no risk and no downtime!!!

Sounds too good to be true...

Has anyone heard about the SPECTRA laser ??? I'd appreciate your comments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry...I've never heard of it...I tried to google it entering "SPECTRA-PEEL" laser, forum, melasma" and didn't find much. I thought maybe someone else on some other forum may have tried it....I only found one post by a lady named "Donna" ....I copied and pasted what she said about it below.

It's a combination of 3 differnt posts that she made on the subject:

I've suffered from melasma since the birth of my son in 1978. I have tried literally EVERYTHING including fractional resurfacing, lasers, bleaching creams, etc. I either got no benefit or my condition worsened - particularly with the fractional treatments.

Dr. Tanya Evans, a dermatologist in Laguna Hills, CA, recently purchaed a device from Korea called a Spectra something (sorry) and did a series of SpectraPeel treatments on me. My face is completely clear and has been for a couple of months. She tells me that since melasma is hormonally driven, it may recur, but at least she has a proven way to treat it if it does.

If youlivein Southern CA and suffer from this insidious condition, I suggest calling Dr. Evans. She's my miracle worker.

It got darker and lighter with sun exposure and stress, but was darker in some areas and lighter in others. I hated it and am thriiled that, so far, it has stayed away.

There was no downtime with the treatments Dr. Tanya gave me. It did take about ten (10) of them to get satisfactory resutls, though.
I think it was $350 a treatment, but I bought a package of 10 treatments so I got "a deal". It took all ten plus two more to completely clear up my 28+ year issue.

To be honest, I would never let anyone at a spa perform anything on my face other than a regular facial!!! It just makes me nervous!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much!!! I know that it's hard to find about the Spectra-peel cause it's new in the US and the FDA approved it only 5 months ago!!!!
However, the nurse that told me about it REALLY REALLY sounded so confident that this is the BEST treatment for melasma. That's why I wanted to post it here for all of us who are looking for some results.
I think I am going to do it... Its expensive but still much less than all this Fraxel, FX lasers....

Thanks so much for the quote!!!! That helped me a lot. Now I am really sure that it's the only option to treat these stuborn brown spots!!!

I will post again once I strat the treatments.

All the best!

·
Registered
11 Posts
i had dark patches on different areas of my face and used celacor. the patches are gone. i thought of laser treatment before i found celacor. i am so happy that i put off the laser treatment. today i cant see the patches and i can actually walk down the street without being stared at.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello

Ive had Melasma for ten years and have for the same amount of time been looking for a treatment. Im currently doing Amelan and so far so good but, during my research ive been strongly advised against laser as if Melasma returns the effects are often twice as bad.

Dont know how true it is but i didnt risk it, keep me posted though and best of luck.

Ali x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello

Ive had Melasma for ten years and have for the same amount of time been looking for a treatment. Im currently doing Amelan and so far so good but, during my research ive been strongly advised against laser as if Melasma returns the effects are often twice as bad.

Dont know how true it is but i didnt risk it, keep me posted though and best of luck.

Ali x
Hi there, what is amelan and how does it work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by davster

Be very careful of laser treatments for melasma. I frequently treat melasma, and rate laser as the intermediate to last choice for patients. Safer to use creams, add a mild peel and save laser for last. Often, especially in darker skin types, laser / fraxel / IPL can make melasma worse.
I do however use fractionated laser/ fraxel at the end of the treatment to hit dermal melasma or more stubborn areas. The safety of fraxel / fractionated lasers can be maximised if the patient is on a bleach cream to decrease the incidence of post inflammatory hyperpigmetation.
In summary- lasers, especially fractionated lasers/ fraxel can be useful in resistant melasma. One has to be cautious in their use and conservative in the parameters.

Davin Lim
Dermatologist
Brisbane

Dear Dr. Davin Lim
I think it is also correct in Asian people with III-VI Fitzpatrick. Worsen melasma and post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation after laser cause stress for both patients and doctors
. In these groups, now I apply only non-ablative lasers and/or PDT with selective patients.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would be wary of anything that sounds too good to be true. I had a laser treatment for spider veins, and they also said "no downtime"....After the first treatment I could barely walk for 3 days.

·
Registered
135 Posts
A colleague of mine uses lasers for brown pigmented lesions and she has this laser, but refuses to use it for melasma, despite the claims and hype.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts