Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone! I am a new member just joined. I am 37 was married young and divorced young. I have been re-living my youth for quite a while and while I maintain a healthy lifestyle I do have a vice--tanning. I have always enjoyed really nice skin and I am not opposed to going under the knife and am considering a laser, CO2, procedure after the summer and some peels on my neck and decolletage. I am trying to avoid that though and have been trying TONS of products. I am single at present and have become very paranoid as this year, the past 6 months, I noticed sudden "crepy" skin all over my body, starting first on my neck. I have two suspicions, one is that I have been over-exfoliating and damaged my skin (I am using 20% Glycolic now and Copper Peptides, tri-luma on my face and have been religiously using sunblock on my face, neck and decolletage). I still do tan at a salon, which I know is bad for me but I am tanorexic trying to slowly break the habit.

I am trying to find a way to improve my skin texture and elasticity. I know stopping tanning is important but I do not ascribe to the 100% sun avoidance doctrine and I know I am highly addicted to a natural tan (have tried all the fake ones).

Anyway--I was doing a regimen with Jan Marini products that included the scrub and I took it further the last 6 months by using the abrasive side of a sponge to scrub my skin, often raw with cuts, every day! I am suspecting this may have caused the crepy skin and thus I have stopped. But then I also suspect going into the "tan only" UVA beds that I was using, no longer using, could also have done this. Either way I need to find my way back to healthier and younger skin! Am looking for all tips for a quick recovery! I currently use Donell 20 all over my body mixed with Nivea CoQ10, Eucerin Intensive Repair, and SkinBiology's array of Copper Peptides. This is on my body! Face/neck I use copper peptides, Donell 20, tri-luma, and about anything and everything else--vitamin c cream, jan marini TGF growth factor, Olay multi vitamin cream etc.

What really freaked me out was how suddenly my arms and body skin seemed to have aged. I am hoping it was an underlying factor and not just nature and even more I hope it is reversible!

Well that is a bit about me and why I am here! I do have a lot of knowledge on nutrition and aging and skin care but obviously I took a wrong turn so I am here to learn and to share the things I do know.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well welcome Lexi-

First and foremost- the skin you are talking about neck, arms, decollete, etc, will only get worse if you continue to tan. You can do all the maintenance you want on them, but until you stop the fake and bake, you are wasting time and your money!

You will find that most of us on this site are SPF junkies. You must wear sunscreen and protect yourself at all times from the sun. Protecting yourself from the sun and wearing a good SPF is a total no brainer.

Please do yourself a favor and wear sunscreen! Now a days there are great alternatives to tanning. Spray tans are great, so are the Tan Towels. You can get great product reviews on Makeupalley.com.

Best of luck-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
HI Lexi!

Oh the crepiness! I used to tan and am paying the price now with the crepiness.
What supplements do you take? I think MSM/Vit C helps, along with adequate protein, minerals and WATER!
Virgin raw coconut oil is my new weapon - I rub it on several times a day. Smells nice too!

Let us know what works for yu!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Welcome Lexi, I'm also not opposed going under the knive, but I will do everything not to! I'm too afraid ! Even the best surgeons wake up in the morning and don't are not feelling 100%. keep posting about your experiences!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Lexi,

I too love the sun. I just recently joined this forum and was convinced that I need to stop tanning. The summer is just around the corner, and I usually spend all of my time outdoors tanning at every chance I got I am now considering myself a reformed "tanner" I have decided to really listen and learn from everyone's advice and I now wear sunscreen, and have decided to avoid the sun. I started to notice the signs of aging, and I attribute a lot of it to sun damage. Even though I always new the sun was damaging, I enjoyed being tan too much to give it up. But through this forum, I am truly convinced that I need to wear sunscreen and avoid the sun. I will admit, it is not going to be easy as I love the beach, the pool etc, Everyone that knows me, knows how much I love to tan. But I have became more afraid of the dangers and how it truly damages (and has damaged) my skin, that it is not worth it any more. Now I wish that I did not spend as much time in the sun. I cannot change the past, but I can do something about my future, so I will be wearing sunscreen ALL the time. I will consider some good tanning lotions, but thats about as far as I will go for color. With the help of all these wonderful people on this forum, I am now trying to repair my sun damaged skin and I certainly do not want to undo what I am working so hard at to "repair" I feel your pain though LOL LOL as a sun worshipper, but I just though I would share how much I have gained in the short time that I have been on this forum, and believe me, it was not so long ago, that no-one could of convinced me to stop tanning.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All! I classify myself as tanorexic because I think it is as bad as anorexia. My brain and mind know that the tanning is aging my skin. Fortunately until now I looked quite good for my age and to a large degree still do. I tend to date younger guys (mid-20's) and act young. Suddenly this year I saw the crepy skin and it was VERY sudden. It happened in the last 6 months I think and I do attribute it to the fake tan. Aside from my addiction to it I also have my intellectual opinion on it based on things I read and if I am honest I do not think 100% sun avoidance is realistic OR healthy. I think a minimum but healthy exposure is good for people and this is backed by a lot of science. I have a good friend of my mother's who is in her early 50's (52 I think) and she NEVER went in the sun and has not really aged then suddenly she did age and the lines and crepy skin and all just showed up. My mother has nearly ten years on her and like me was in the sun all her life. I grew up in a house where the big child's book and aluminum foil was used as a "reflector". My mother is not overly aged but you do see the sun damage.

Oddly I think my problem is two fold. I think I have scrubbed my skin unhealthy! I basically used the hard side of a sponge instead of a loofah with Jan Marini Glycolic Body Wash and then used AHA's and all sorts of creams. It has made my skin raw and leathery. BUT I also attribute the bad skin to the UVA bed I was addicted to. I am weaning myself from addiction but anyone who has been addicted like me knows that part of the problem is that once you have been addicted you cause discolorations and such that do not look good as you get lighter and it is depressing to see which in turn leads you back to the sun. It does not help I live in Miami and every other person is naturally mocha brown!

I do attribute part of the damage to my scrubbing though as stated and that is because I have definitely seen significant improvement in discolorations--which in turn has enabled me to lessen the sun exposure. I am not too fond of the fake tanning or spray tanning products because I find that when you are repairing your skin you are exfoliating and in turn it gives an awful appearance as it flakes off unevenly. I did try a spray tan a while back when I was going to go over to that instead of fake bake and I have to say that it was a humiliating experience. I had to go to a work event over a weekend at a hotel in another city and was stranded in the middle of nowhere and three days after the spray tan, due to all the products I use, my chest was blotchy with white areas and residue, I looked "dirty". Since then I realize that I need to be in a more completely "exfoliated" state to try it and that you really cannot be actively exfoliating in any way, manual or chemical. If anyone knows differently, I am VERY open to listening. I am not opposed to stopping but I think what many dermatologists and skincare experts do not realize is that for some of us, tanning covers the damage even if it is causing more so it is somewhat addictive-similar to alcoholism or eating disorders, you do it, hate yourself for doing it but the only way out is do it some more.

Anyway, I do take all these supplements, EVERYTHING! I am a supplement freak and take about 40 pills twice daily. I use a lot of skin creams as stated and will now try the virgin raw coconut oil! (Thanks for the tip). I bought Aquaphor this morning which I have just put on one arm and cotton seed oil on the other, the Aquaphor arm looks visibly tighter but I think last time I used it I broke out from an allergy to lanolin--so I may just add a bit to my regimen to make the crepy skin look a bit better.

Thank you all for all the replies. I really like this forum because so many people yell at me and tell me I am age obsessed and that I need to just get over it etc. it is nice to find like-minded people!

MOMOF2GIRLZ-I hope I get there! I do and have used sunscreen on my face for years and this past year have used sunscreen and mix zinc oxide in for face and neck and use a 30SPF UVA/UVB block on my decellotage. I am weaning but it is hard because like it or not we all do look better with a tan even if it is damaging us. There was a shot on the horizon called ********* (melanomate). It was found at U Arizona and was being developed in Australia and is sold illegaly on the internet, I do not buy it as it requires needles but it gives you a natural melanin tan by stimulating the hormone in the brain that releases melanin. This for me would be ideal and I think it is a shame we have so many restrictions in USA because for people like me, and I am far from alone, it is the lesser of two evils!

Anyway I thank you all! Today I will go buy the Virgin Coconut Oil, won't be at the beach, and will be logging on here more often!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS are there any threads that address crepy skin? I have searched and even google it and find so little on it that I am surprised as I see it all the time on women everywhere!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Lexi,

To be honest with you, I only just recently started to take care of my skin. What brought me to this forum is something very similiar to you and your story. I was fortunate to always look younger than my age. When people found out I had a child in high school, I was always told "how could that be, you look so young". One day I was in a dressing room trying somethings on, I happened to get a close up of my face (under those fluorescent lights which did not help)I wanted to cry, all of a sudden I looked like I aged overnight I saw things on my face like crows feet, creppy skin on my neck, I felt like I was looking at someone else. But what I couldn't figure out was how did this all happen, it seemed like it all caught up to me in one day. This happened just a few months ago (I am 42yrs old) and since then I started to take an interest in my skin, and then I found this forum. Which has been such a blessing. My biggest problem is oily skin, large pores, sun damaged (uneven skin coloring) and sagging neck skin. I always felt I looked better with a tan, it seemed to even out things on my face. I will not totally avoid the sun but I will not bake in it anymore..

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am like you. The flourescent lights make me want to cry. When I am out shopping I take my sunglasses to try anything on because I cry if I see my skin in the changing rooms. It happened to me overnight as well. It just became noticeable suddenly but I have been doing very abrasive skin regimen which I am starting to think caused at least a good part of the damage though I think most was from a high powered UVA bed that I became addicted to and have since quit!

Like you the tan always makes me feel like I look better because it evens out the imperfections, and actually, ironically, it will tighten the skin and minimize wrinkles at first because it makes your skin thicker!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ladies,

Several multilateral, double-blind, placebo controlled, studies have uniformly concluded that flourescent lighting, is the vile spawn of satan, himself.

I was pretty excited about those energy-saver light bulbs (mainly, because they look like soft serve ice cream cones) -but when I put one in... carbon footprint be damned!

But, flourescent (or other very pink/cool) light really is a distortion. They might as well throw a funhouse mirror in the dressing room, as well.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Ladies,

Several multilateral, double-blind, placebo controlled, studies have uniformly concluded that flourescent lighting, is the vile spawn of satan, himself.

I was pretty excited about those energy-saver light bulbs (mainly, because they look like soft serve ice cream cones) -but when I put one in... carbon footprint be damned!

But, flourescent (or other very pink/cool) light really is a distortion. They might as well throw a funhouse mirror in the dressing room, as well.
LOL isn't that the truth!!!
Your post made me crack up!! Ya those ice cream cone shaped light bulbs......the same one my husband decided to put in my laps on each side of our bed.......I HATE THEM!! What in the world....I feel like I am laying next to a tanning bed trying to read at night!!

I told him don't you dare think about putting one of those in my bathroom!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But my question is are they "better lighting" or do they distort things? I know every doctor's office uses them I always hate when I go to a dermatologist and they hand me a mirror to look at something I feel like "oh no if I look I will not want to be seen in public and will run home and hide!". They are like flaw evoking lights. I hated them even when I was a teen I remember being in clubs and would not look at myself in the mirrors if they had that lighting, it made every pimple show, every imperfection, they are CRUELTY lights! Forget waterboarding, make someone look at themselves in a room of mirrors with those lights!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Ladies,

Varya, do you wear sunscreen indoors as well (I do!). Do you feel that it protects against the fluorescent light?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fawnie-

I don't really know anything about the physical effects of indoor lighting- just that fluorescents, as Lexi pointed out, are emotionally abusive.

I think that it is just an efficient and inexpensive way to light places- like office buildings, municipal buildings, schools. They are bright and can light a room evenly, but the spectrum of the light is out of balance.

Ok! I will stop being a zealot, now.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
No problem! I am a zealot about non-smoking and other health risks!

I know I don't feel right when I'm in a room with fluorescents - makes me jittery and I can't wait to get out!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fawnie it is known to cause seizures in people with epilepsy so it is dangerous! I hate the way it brings out every physical flaw!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts