Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO since i started this lightening regimine, I've paid closer attention to complexions, skintones, knees, elbows exc... and i am not so sure what even constitutes as "light skin" Now.. Yes, i am aware that to different people from different places and especially different ethnic backgrounds will have differences of opinions on who is light and who is dark but this time im actually referring to people of the same shade... I am of two ethnic backgrounds and so its so intresting to me when i hear someone call a african american girl brown/dark skinned and a puerto-rican girl with the same tone as "light".. I guess it may just be that both could go either way so a reference is just thrown out..But, i wonder if other things help in pushing one to light and the other to dark..like: eveness of skin, features, hair.. I hope im not confusing anyone and it could very well just be me...but i have noticed that and just wonder if there are any underlined rules to the categories..
Not that there should be any @ all

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
On a cultural/community level, there definitions are bound to vary enormously. Scientifically, there are different & more objective scales Dr's use. The Fitzpatrick scale divides skin types into a range of 1 (pinky white, never tans)-6 (very black) for photosensitivity purposes. There are other scales that consider undertone, ranges of tone & ethnicity too. There's a thread here about that where many of the scales are linked.

Facial features can play a role in these perceptions too. An almost white person with west African features will 'look black' whereas a brown skinned person with European features will get mistaken for a white person with a super-deep tan (happened to me often even B4 lightening!
).

Sticking to more scientific terms is more useful & clear than talking about '2-3 shades' (whatever that means!). Even referring to the tone of a well known celeb (one whose tone doesn't change like the weather) makes for a good visual image for ex 'Denzel's colour' or 'Alicia Keys' colour. Most people know what that means.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts