Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much flap-jaw occurs around the subject of black women choosingto lighten their skin. Accusations of self-hatred nip at these women's heels. Is it true? The researcher in the linked article hypothesides that this was in fact the case. The research, however proved otherwise! ALL lighteners wioll find this synopsis interesting. Refer anyone to it if they give you a hard time over your choice.Skin Bleaching, Self-Hate, and Black Identity in Jamaica -- Charles 33 (6): 711 -- Journal of Black Studies

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Very informative, Ondine. It would be similar to saying that Caucasians have self-esteem issues if they choose to tan. Seems like everyone is seeking that same coveted shade of honey brown skin and who knows, maybe some day that will be the reality!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The right to make choices was slow in coming to black people in North America. The right to be deemed fully human was won in the early 1900's. Before that, blacks in the USA were 3/5 ths human. In the early/mid 1800's if you read, you died. Blacks who could read had to hide the ability. The right toattend the same schools as whites came in the late 50's. Nowadays, the economics of povery maintains a more segregated school system than in the 60's. Early feminists in the temperance movement instituted 'sumptuary laws' & black women were forbidden from wearing hats (too seductive) or makeup & perfume (ditto
) or pearls! Black women had to wear those 'mammy' head scarfs. They became very adept at tying these on in creative & attractive ways. The law soon changed. This little known history has informed our society's beliefs about who gets to do what. Self-enhancement is very new in North America for black women. It was only in the late 70's that makeup companies began maning colours suitable to darker skinned women. Before that, if you had anything more than a tan, you were out of luck!

Hair straightening has come under fire as a symbol of self-hate BUT a white woman who crimps, curls or perms her hair is making the choice to enhance herself out of self-love. Skin colour alteration is just the next rung on the equality ladder. White women can tan if they will it. Despite thousands of deaths from malignant melanomas each year, the FDA would NEVER consider banning tanning beds or rendering suntan lotions a prescription only item. BUT a black who wants to lighten requires prescription strength creams & must get them from a dermatologist (overwhelmingly a white controlled profession). Of course, these derms refuse to prescribe it unless you have a medical condition that THEY diagnose & THEY decide must be treated this way. Understandably, blacks are reluctant to go plead with a white Dr. to be permitted to make a choice the reverse of which any white teenager can make at a walmart! It will be up to those seeking to lighten to obtain what they need from non white sources who understand lightening as a historically & culturally valid choice MUCH safer than tanning will ever be.

·
Registered
919 Posts
It annoys me SO much LOL. White people can do whatever they like, but WE can't. How is that fair????White people tanning is no different. They HATE they're pale skin too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have always stood by what i think there is double standards in this world that we live in. The white people can tan and make their skin look more attractive and there is a big industry to support this need. Tanning causes skin damage and in some cases skin cancer but this is still not banned and there is no big song and dance about the negative sides of it.

Now when it comes to skin lightening there is not a lot of reach on it for ethnic skin most of it is for white skin with hyperpigmentation problems.
All the products that were effective are now being banned even though there has been no proof that it causes cancer or death.

Anybody lightening thier skin is said not to love themselves and have low self esteem.

The same then should apply to people who tan, alter their features through plastic surgery and other methods.

Just because one wants to look more attractive does not mean they have no self esteem or hate themselves.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I have always stood by what i think there is double standards in this world that we live in. The white people can tan and make their skin look more attractive and there is a big industry to support this need. Tanning causes skin damage and in some cases skin cancer but this is still not banned and there is no big song and dance about the negative sides of it.

Now when it comes to skin lightening there is not a lot of reach on it for ethnic skin most of it is for white skin with hyperpigmentation problems.
All the products that were effective are now being banned even though there has been no proof that it causes cancer or death.

Anybody lightening thier skin is said not to love themselves and have low self esteem.

The same then should apply to people who tan, alter their features through plastic surgery and other methods.

Just because one wants to look more attractive does not mean they have no self esteem or hate themselves.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I will continue to lighten till i fill i dont need to anymore i look at all the people doing all these life threating operations such as boob jobs tummy tucks etc and no thing is said against it by saying oh look at that person he/she hates herself.

This is a free world and if i want to lighten i will but its not because i hate myself its because i believe i am more attractive when i do just like every body else that do things to make themselves more attractive.

Welcome to the real world.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I will continue to lighten till i fill i dont need to anymore i look at all the people doing all these life threating operations such as boob jobs tummy tucks etc and no thing is said against it by saying oh look at that person he/she hates herself.

This is a free world and if i want to lighten i will but its not because i hate myself its because i believe i am more attractive when i do just like every body else that do things to make themselves more attractive.

This^
ppl dont get it when I say that it pisses me of..it has nothing to do with self hate
well at least for me.
I dont know how other "bleachers" feel about it

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
This^
ppl dont get it when I say that it pisses me of..it has nothing to do with self hate
well at least for me.
I dont know how other "bleachers" feel about it
I just hope people will get that message that i love myself and i am proud to be who i am African i just want to have a more attractive looking skin i still look African.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just hope people will get that message that i love myself and i am proud to be who i am African i just want to have a more attractive looking skin i still look African.
I hate this double standard too. and when i see ppl bashing skin bleachers on you tube and facebook. I say the same thing. I love myself so much that i actually take pride in taking care of my skin and i actually love myself even more when my skin is a few shades lighter, i have no desire to be white or look white, i just love my lighter skin and the ability to change my hair color and makeup colors.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I hate this double standard too. and when i see ppl bashing skin bleachers on you tube and facebook. I say the same thing. I love myself so much that i actually take pride in taking care of my skin and i actually love myself even more when my skin is a few shades lighter, i have no desire to be white or look white, i just love my lighter skin and the ability to change my hair color and makeup colors.
Baby girl join the choir we have to sing loud and clear for the deaf people to hear how we love ourselves
we do not want to be white.

when white people tan no one says oh look they want to be black therefore they hate themselves so why us

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
this is a delicate issue for us but i don't think it is the white people who judge bleachers sometimes black people do , in my case & i bet a lot of you guys , r judged by their family of not loving how god created u , changing your figure or even folling men into liking u without the knowledge that u r originally a dark black or bronze woman or whatever your original color is. I think white people maybe harsh in their judgment but we have to not allow a racist idea into our minds cus both blacks & whites judge u the same way. But people who control the availability of bleaching products r defintly wrong in being bistandarized.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I think white people maybe harsh in their judgment but we have to not allow a racist idea into our minds cus both blacks & whites judge u the same way. But people who control the availability of bleaching products r defintly wrong in being bistandarized.
I am singing my song to anyone who judges people that lighten thier skin I am refering to both black and white people alike. God created me African and even though i lightened my skin i am still an African i cant change that.

The same applies to a white person that tan and looks black they are still white as God created them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am singing my song to anyone who judges people that lighten thier skin I am refering to both black and white people alike. God created me African and even though i lightened my skin i am still an African i cant change that.

The same applies to a white person that tan and looks black they are still white as God created them.
Exactly, is like if you are born naturally light and you get tan or permatans just from years being in the sun does that mean you are not the way God created you. You are still who you are just a little sun kissed , why cant pple view changing your hair color or texture the same way. The same family members who tell me that God did not create me that way, I say, "God did not create you with straight hair and you change it from curly or kinky to straight but you still permanently straighten your hair. There is no difference from me temporarily changing my complexion.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Exactly, is like if you are born naturally light and you get tan or permatans just from years being in the sun does that mean you are not the way God created you. You are still who you are just a little sun kissed , why cant pple view changing your hair color or texture the same way. The same family members who tell me that God did not create me that way, I say, "God did not create you with straight hair and you change it from curly or kinky to straight but you still permanently straighten your hair. There is no difference from me temporarily changing my complexion.
I think they are jealous i cant think of no other reason.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I hate **** like this, Who gives a **** if one is lightening their skin or changing something about themselves? Who cares "how god created one".

"Skin lightening stems from a deep self hatred & slavery .... blah blah blah"

It's pretty simple for me, I want to look sexy in my skin. I don't have some deep self hatred/inner problem relating to my race,I mean, my skin is one of insecurities, but i'm not sitting on my *** & whining about how I want skin like 'that' girl. I'm deciding to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yeh girl go girl join the choir we have to sing it out loud and clear to the deaf people who think we hate ourselves

·
Registered
422 Posts

To be honest, Yes I did have low self esteem when it comes to my complexion....Im pretty I will admit/good facial features etc....tight lil petite body...but for the life of me, when at like 10 I noticed my sister getting soo much loove cause shes light skin. I mean we are pratically twins in facial features but of course she has always gotten more shine...I love her to death and she even admitted thatn she know she gets more attention special treatment cause of her complexion and the 'whats up red bone' cat calls from the guys proves that point even further............

So for me to sit up here and lie and say i did not develop a complex over that would be completely dishonest. However, now she is out of shape, and stuck with deadbeat 2 baby daddies, she smokes, she just dnt look as good anymore...me , I knew I had to stay in shape/never smoke/drink/eat extremly healthy etc i guess cause I knew any other way Id be single/low self esteem forever. Hell i even joined 'problack' groups ya know to try to feel empowerment in my skin color, yet most of the leadrs of these so called 'love your black skin' groups seem to favor the ligher skinned sistas/and or even biracial ---really light skin bw. i met my guy in one of those groups, (hes from nyc and they have a bit more acceptance for darker tone women there imho...many rican men in nyc really like brown-dark skin girls if the are in shape/pretty in the face)....but living in the south, these guys are colorstruck.

My guy moved down here and he was even disgusted by why some of these down south bm were soo obsessed with skin color?! And he understood more why I had a complex(and is why I have to hide my skin bleaching from him, hehe, cause he'd kill me if he found out i bleached) But He is high yellow and I sometimes feel like even he gets treated better then me, and I want us to be equal, I know the only thing im lacking is the super light skin.....I cant wait till he see me super light, I feel like he will be soo much more turned on by it.

Oppurtunities do seem a bit better when a female is light, I really want to be an entertainer, a dancer/professional and own my own dance studio, and I know my chances are higher/lighter.

I think being lighter skinned as a female makes you more marketable to more ethnicities, when you are a dark skin-brown skin woman, even beautiful many other ethnicities/other men are almost intimidated by that.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Girl Im loving your posts you are hitting it on the nail

1 - 20 of 27 Posts