Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know how but a dozen likas papaya soaps costed me $50 I guess it was the shipping. Anyway I thought its been working since summer but everyones noticing blackheads on my nose and cheeks lately, including me.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Grechen,

It is unfortunate you seem to be developing blackheads. Are you sure it's the Likas? My pores seem really clean. Everyone's skin is different so it could be you are allergic to something in the soap. Or could it be something else you are using? Do you use Retin-A? That is the best thing for blackheads, acne and everything else.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Other members here have also been experiencing blackheads on the nose and cheeks as of late from using Likas papaya soap, the reason for this goes back to my old posts about using a correct pH cleanser for you face. You need to use a cleanser with a pH of less than 5.5 for it to keep your acid mantle intact so that it can keep bacteria, toxins and acne (including blackheads) out of your skin. ALL SOAPS have a pH of higher than 7 and they are basic which damages your acid mantle, even if it isnt blatantly apparent for some people. What probably happened with the Likas for you is that it stripped parts of your acid mantle on your nose and cheeks, therefore, more than enough sebum is being produced by your skin and the acid mantle is not healthy enough to regulate the sebum. So the extra sebum clogs your pores and it results in blackheads.

Some examples of pH correct cleansers are:
Neutrogena Deep Clean Cleanser (gel original version)
Neutrogena Deep Clean Cream Cleanser
Earth Science Clarifying Wash
All of Paulas Choice Cleansers
MD Forte Glycolic Cleansers
All Spectro Jel Formulations

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
well if you are having problems with ur likas papaya soap like acne, blackheads, whiteheads, dryness then you shouldnt be using it at all, use something else, but if you have no problems with it then stick to it. It is important to note that using lightening soaps doesnt ligthen the skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
1 to 3 months, it has to open up and peel away the top skin so you can squeeze the blackheads out or wash it off in the shower. For whiteheads, its going to convert them to blackheads and then the blackheads fall off. It takes time but when you see the blackheads and whiteheads surfacing and about to come off then thats how you know the retin-a is working at the deepest level of your skin.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I have been using the likas soap at one time but it didn't do much in lightening my complexion unfortunately and it was too drying for my skin.

Does anyone have had any success with this soap?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got my retin-a from ADC and sometimes i fell like I am clearing the blackheads then I go and use Likas everyday, which clogs back my pores so its going to be aneverending cycle. The soap that came with Makari seems alittle better but I like the smell of Likas better. In the shower or bath, its so refreshing and did not scratch my face like the Makari soap did.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I hope I don't get black heads from them, so far none. It does actually clean quite well as others had mentioned, but I notice sometimes when I have it on my face it stings my eyes alot like the way bleach would. And I dont put it near my eyes and only keep it up there for a few seconds because of the stinging in my eyes. But, I never had this problem with diana stalder papaya kojic soap and that is papaya and kojic acid. Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I dont know how but a dozen likas papaya soaps costed me $50 I guess it was the shipping. Anyway I thought its been working since summer but everyones noticing blackheads on my nose and cheeks lately, including me.
It seems like you are using too many products on your face you have listed quite a few already, maybe that is the problem.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I don't know what to think of likas others swear by it and others have bad side efffect(blackheads, skin thinning!)..this cant be good?! has anyone used it for a long time?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I think I may start to just use it for the body soon since it reacts better. I think maybe me using likas on my face as well as using retin-a makes my face burn too much. may just switch back to natural black soap for the face.

Well, does it sting anyone's eyes like bleach or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I mainly use it for my face, arms, hands, and neck. But I now have cut back to once a day, for my face that is. the rest 2x daily. I think it may last possibly until the spring or summer 2010.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not using diane stadlers, but I am using a papaya soap with kojic acid and licorice, I do see some white heads and bumps coming on my cheeks. I'm not gonna use it on my face anymore, gonna wait for ret a. Gonna buy one of the washes Lnl recommended.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i think likas is to harsh for the face for most. it tore up my face! **** so many products tore up my face argggh!!! damn sensitive skin...but i do use it on my body and i think its great for that

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i think likas is to harsh for the face for most. it tore up my face! **** so many products tore up my face argggh!!! damn sensitive skin...but i do use it on my body and i think its great for that
You have sensitive skin too? I have sensitive skin so I dont use likas soap everyday anylonger because that happened to me too. But maybe a couple of times during the week and I went back to using my black soap mos of the time. I was also thinking that using retina along with likas can be too much for sensitive skin. And I only leave it on for a couple of seconds and quickly rinse it off so that it wont burn.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts