Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched through this site, as well as two others and still I have the same question: which is the best between kj, gl or hq?

I am looking to lighten my elbows, knees and lol...um, backside. I was hoping for about 2-3 shades to match the rest of my skin.

Anyone who has used one of these products, can you tell me how it worked for you? Pics would be great, but not necessary. Also, if you would provides links of your sources for products, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
MKaay, what is better depends in part on the individual person's response to the products.
Some people respond well to HQ (Ido). Some respond well to Kojic acid (It was irritating for me). As for what is 'stronger', well, that depends on the concentration of the actual agent. They also behave differently. Kj & Gl are exfoliants. Primarily, they lighten by removing dead skin & revealing new skin BUT they do not reduce the body's melanin production. HQ is a tyrosinase inhibitor. Put simply, it reduces the skin's melanocytes' melanin output. So, as dead melanin saturated skin cycles away through exfoliation (aided by kj, gl or RA) the new skin becomes progressifvely lighter as it contains less melanin. Bleaching of pre-existing melanin doesn't take place. It has to cycle away naturally. That is why ads for creams claiming to whiten in days are lying.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MKaay, what is better depends in part on the individual person's response to the products.
Some people respond well to HQ (Ido). Some respond well to Kojic acid (It was irritating for me). As for what is 'stronger', well, that depends on the concentration of the actual agent. They also behave differently. Kj & Gl are exfoliants. Primarily, they lighten by removing dead skin & revealing new skin BUT they do not reduce the body's melanin production. HQ is a tyrosinase inhibitor. Put simply, it reduces the skin's melanocytes' melanin output. So, as dead melanin saturated skin cycles away through exfoliation (aided by kj, gl or RA) the new skin becomes progressifvely lighter as it contains less melanin. Bleaching of pre-existing melanin doesn't take place. It has to cycle away naturally. That is why ads for creams claiming to whiten in days are lying.
Actually Kojic acid works in the same way HQ does by inhibiting the activity of tyrosinase, its a "natural HQ" but its said that its more irritating than HQ.. Its not irritating to me, though, the HQ caused me breakouts because i have oily skin and the cream was too greasy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You know I'm not convinced Likas soap has any real lightening agents in it. I've been using it for about 2 weeks, but with the other parts of my skin care routine, it's very difficult to know what is causing what. I haven't been able to find any studies that have any real proof it works for skin lightening. There have been testimonies, but products that do nothing also have those that swear they're great.

I bought the soap because I thought, hey, what could it hurt and maybe it'll help. But it only stays on the skin a few minutes max, so I can't see how it has enough time to penetrate. I think it might just dry you out so the skin exfoliates quicker. Anyone, feel free to argue with me on this. I'm hoping I can find something a little more scientific than just 'yeah it's great' on Asian sites.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have searched through this site, as well as two others and still I have the same question: which is the best between kj, gl or hq?

I am looking to lighten my elbows, knees and lol...um, backside. I was hoping for about 2-3 shades to match the rest of my skin.

Anyone who has used one of these products, can you tell me how it worked for you? Pics would be great, but not necessary. Also, if you would provides links of your sources for products, that would be helpful.
Gluthatione is probably the weakest of these, as it has a low absorption rate, if taken orally - I have used the soap but it really irritated my skin. Kojic works well in conjuction with arbutin and glycolic, as I have read (inhibitors) and HQ is probably the most used. Many dermatologists are working on numerous solutions to find an alternative to HQ. I havent used papaya (likas) soap yet.

As ondine says, concentration is key

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The Likas company makes no claims that their product lightens skin. Users noticed differences. What I find is that is extremely exfoliating so you wind up with a truly clean slate for your creams.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay,I think I will probably start with the Likas or Kojic as my main defoliators. Then add in HQ for the lightening I want.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You can get a kojic/papaya soap. I tried it & it did exfoliate like crazy BUT it irritated certain parts too much (face, underarms, private areas). since I'm also using mono, I can't afford to have sensitized skin. I want to lighten my skin: NOT fry it off.

That being said, your skin may react differently & since soap is relatively cheap, if you wind up having to discard it, you've lost little. Give the Likas a go: I plan on buying more of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
3000BC, a spa in PA, sells a line of skin care products. My aunt has been going to this spa for a number of years and she recommended I try their products for my acne. I thought if any of you are also struggling with acne you might want to check out their website. 3 0 0 0 b c d o t c o m

Their products seem to really focus on promoting cell regeneration, which I thought would also help with a skin lightening regimen. I haven't yet purchased anything, since they are a little expensive. But I plan to try them soon and I will let you know what I think.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Beautifully golden, there is a dept specifically discussing acne treatment. Perhaps someone over there could benefit from these treatments. I will check out this site to see what they are selling. Retin A speeds cell regeneration AND supports skin lightening & it can be readily & cheaply obtained, It also treats acne.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I tried Retin A specifically for my acne years ago when I was seeing a Dermatologist. I remember it making my skin very red and I would feel this burning sensation. Since it's been so long it's hard to tell if my skin would react the same way, so I'm definitely going to try that again but I've just been looking into some possible alternatives. It sounds like these 3000bc products would also support skin lightening, that's why I mentioned it here. While they are more expensive, the ingredients seem less irritating for people with sensitive skin. So I thought for those that didn't respond well to Retin A, they could check it out. Let me know what ya think!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Hi! I just got back from checking out that source. You are correct that their products are expensive! Considering the ingredients in them & the small containers, they really are overpriced. They also make vague claims (a bad sign). For instance, their $52 night cream claims to 'revitalize the look' of your skin. The serum you mentioned contains no skin lightening ingredients at all. Many people will buy this stuff because they'll assume that if a spa sells it, it must be good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts