1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Actually, there's a Dr. from Thailand who wrote a book about the melanin removing diet. The problem is that her claims are vague & the 'science' bhind her claims is at best fuzzy. She, herself, is as white as chalk (IMO she looked prettier, considering her facial features, with her tan complexion).

Actually, unless a person has melasma or some other disorder, there is no such thing as excess melanin. Dark skin is not a disease, does not cause disease & is not indicative of poor health. In this entire forum, only one member has ever expressed 'hating her skin' because of colour & it was someone esp young & vulnerable. Melanin can be a great thing as in dark skin not aging the same way as white skin does as it is not a vulnerable to sun damage. In some cultures, however, fair skin is socially preferred. This is due to sociocultural factors (beliefs about 'class' & social status) not scientific/medical ones. Depending upon a person's features, darker skin may actually suit a person better. No one look is for everyone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wanted to bump this back up because I do feel as though there is some validity to this. When i gained weight, I was in the sun less and yet I got darker. Since I've lost weight, Ive been in the sun more and I've gotten lighter.

When I was a kid, I was light naturally and got darker when I got older. I went from seriously beyonce to meagan good. I think as I have lost weight, its easier for me to get back to my younger lighter color. So this may not apply to people who were born dark but perhaps even if you were dark, and lost weight, you may be a lighter shade of dark?

I was thinking this was due to change in diet, eating healthier food, but this makes me wonder, maybe it was just the weight

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. From what the study says, your bodys melanine is being used to combat fat related illinesses, cause malanin is a natural anti oxidant.
It may be that the fatter you become, the more melanin your body has to produce to combat the fat related illinesses.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I wonder if thast's the case for alreadfy white people? I've seen many white people who are incredibly fat yet very pale (blue veins showing & red blotches). Why doesn't their melanin production increase too?

With darker heavy people, the skin tends to have folds & rolls that slom people's skin just doesn't have. Could the shadow effect created by the rolls of skin & fat make a person appear darker than they are?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Here is another theory--being overweight stresses the liver and those with fatty liver and liver disease are often darker not just from jaundice but actual changes in entire body chemistry and often they appear tanned. Any diet that truly alleviates all physical stressors on the body increases metabolism of every part of the body.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
You're a smart cookie, Lexi. That posits an entirely new theory on the obesity/melanin link.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks Ondine. It is an issue in medicine often that too many people think inside the box and not enough actually give thought to root causes. The lesson holistic medicine has to teach western medicine is to treat a problem in its entirity and look for root causes, not explain the symptom and treat the symptom.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wonder if thast's the case for alreadfy white people? I've seen many white people who are incredibly fat yet very pale (blue veins showing & red blotches). Why doesn't their melanin production increase too?
With darker heavy people, the skin tends to have folds & rolls that slom people's skin just doesn't have. Could the shadow effect created by the rolls of skin & fat make a person appear darker than they are?
I think its because they dont have any melanin to begin with anyway so you can really increase production of something thats not really there.... just my theory

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ve just read the first article again and I noticed something that eluded me the first timeI read it. That theory about L glutathione reducing melanin sounds possible. L glutathione is a natural anti oxidant like melanin. By introducing l glutathione into your system you might be reducing the need for melanin production in your body.

·
Registered
265 Posts
after a certain amount of glutathion enters your system, your body flushes it out, never giving it a chance to raise to the levels it would need to lighten skin.

Wont work. you would have to continuasly flood the system with glutathione under a doctors supervision intraveneously for a long time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts