Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been noticing over the past couple of years that when you look in magazines and especially Victoria's Secret catalogues, all of the women in there have long, wavy hair. You'll never see a girl with a cute bob in VS. So here's my question - is the only sexy hair long? Can a girl with short hair be sexy or is she always destined to be 'cute' or 'pretty'?

I'm questioning this because I've had a short bob for quite a few years now. I've always liked it but have been wanting a change lately. I'm thinking about growing it out but this is a hard road to take! And I also don't know if I'll have the patience and time to blow dry/straighten/curl it numerous times a week once it's long. Anyway, I'm needing a change because my self-esteem has been below par lately. I've been thinking about gettting extensions but they are costly and high maintenance. Are there any ways to grow hair fast that anyone has had luck with? What's everyone's opinion?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Study after study on gender prefernce in sexuality have shown cross-culturally that long hair is considered sexier. The rationale is essentially gender opposite features are considered more sexual and though many would argue it is a social construct long hair is a biological construct. Why? Women can grow longer hair which came in handy specifically if running for young to grab onto for stabilisation. Men did not get as long hair because it was dangerous during hunting/clashing.

I have seen bobs and heard arguments but it does not hold water. This one I can listen to every argument in the book but the fact remains that science has more or less shown repeatedly that long=sexy, fertile and short=aging or less fertile (masculine women also tend to always keep their hair shorter).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Lexi! That's exactly the response I was looking for. I just wish it didn't take SO long to grow out hair and have all those awkward stages in between.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Yep me to, just read it recently MEN prefer long hair. As a matter of fact they like it straight and long. That has always been my experience also.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I wasn't even looking but came across this article:

w w w.sugarshockbeauty.com/2009/08/burning-question-is-long-hair-more.html

Interesting...SO...how do all you long-haired girls style your hair from day-to-day? Any quick ways to style?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
So I've been noticing over the past couple of years that when you look in magazines and especially Victoria's Secret catalogues, all of the women in there have long, wavy hair. You'll never see a girl with a cute bob in VS. So here's my question - is the only sexy hair long? Can a girl with short hair be sexy or is she always destined to be 'cute' or 'pretty'?

I'm questioning this because I've had a short bob for quite a few years now. I've always liked it but have been wanting a change lately. I'm thinking about growing it out but this is a hard road to take! And I also don't know if I'll have the patience and time to blow dry/straighten/curl it numerous times a week once it's long. Anyway, I'm needing a change because my self-esteem has been below par lately. I've been thinking about gettting extensions but they are costly and high maintenance. Are there any ways to grow hair fast that anyone has had luck with? What's everyone's opinion?
Hi,

You can oil your hair regularly to help it grow fast. You can use almond oil, coconut oil or olive oil.

HTH

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, pumi! I have heard that coconut oil is one of the only things that can actually penetrate the hair shaft to strengthen it. I have some at home for this reason but never use it. I will start to now! I need 10 inches overnight.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I've seen plenty of sexy women with short hair....and plenty of UNsexy women with long hair. I think MOST men are intelligent enough to look at the whole package rather than a few physical attributes. Would you really want to be with a guy who valued you only for your hair and only thought long hair was sexy? How shallow a relationship that would be...I would feel like an object. Is VS the standard here??

Why not grant ourselves the freedom to wear our hair the way we feel it is most flattering and appropriate....not the way stereotypes and men's preferences dictate? We aren't living in the Dark Ages or the "property" of a man!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I've seen plenty of sexy women with short hair....and plenty of UNsexy women with long hair. I think MOST men are intelligent enough to look at the whole package rather than a few physical attributes. Would you really want to be with a guy who valued you only for your hair and only thought long hair was sexy? How shallow a relationship that would be...I would feel like an object. Is VS the standard here??

Why not grant ourselves the freedom to wear our hair the way we feel it is most flattering and appropriate....not the way stereotypes and men's preferences dictate? We aren't living in the Dark Ages or the "property" of a man!
I agree in theory and that also extends to "would you want to be with a man who only liked you for your looks" but I think in reality it is about immediate "attraction" and that is what most studies concur on with long hair. I myself always wanted to have short spikey "Madonna circa True Blue" hair but I think women appreciate the short hair more than men. I have always thought it was somewhat sexy but coming from a heterosexual female I can wonder what that means?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Lexi
I don't know any guys who think short and spikey is sexy! but there are other short styles out there! Initial attraction will only take someone so far and then are you left with a beautiful exterior and nothing else to offer?

Kind of like a guy with overbuilt muscles and too much cologne - trying too hard for the initial hit.

Long hair is just another choice, not the ONLY choice.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
No--my point was I LIKE short and spikey and always thought it was sexy on women. I do not much like Bob's I think they look "sophisticated" a la Victoria Beckham's faux attempt to look very stylish 1930's fashionista. Clearly nobody things exterior is everything but in the world of attraction like it or not there are just some givens. I hear you 1000% trust me and I agree with you Fawnie but there are just certain things that "mainly" (not always) appeal to most people of the opposite sex.

Beauty is also very subjective. I just saw two guys, one was really nice looking with an amazing body the other was a bit less "toned" but had the sexiest face and tattoos. I looked really close and ascertained that I was attracted to his facial features and then realised he had these really stereotypical masculine features. Like a slanted forehead, orbital ridge, strong jaw and a goatee. Totally not my type but something animal in me would not let me stop looking. Biology in motion!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Around the 1950's and before too! Women were cutting their hair short and put curlers, this was a way to say now I'm no longer a little girl, no poney tails. It was a statement. Now it's all the other way around, to look younger.

I think the long hair started in the 60's with Brigitte Bardo, Raquel Welch.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I like short hair, I also totally agree with Fawnie (in theory and hope). I just know unfortunately the studies on biological attraction say long hair is best. I still think that certain women would never look good with long hair though.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I like to have mine shoulder lenght, I used to wear it short (yep with curls on top) I find it was more trouble to keep it short, especially in the morning when you wake up, I have to wet my hair to place it. With shoulder length if my hair is terrible and don't have time to wash it in the morning, I do a poney tail. (and it's not to try to look like a little girl) LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oooh, I like the debate I've started here!

Well, here are my thoughts. First, here's my disclaimer. I'm 25 years old. I have a boyfriend that loves my short hair. My thoughts on growing it out are for myself, so that I feel sexier as I've always been called 'cute' and people think I'm much younger than I am. I'm trying to look older, more like a woman and sexier. This is why I posed this question.

Secondly, as much as looks shouldn't matter, they do. Why should people feel ashamed because they are trying to look better? Sure, I'm working on myself on the inside, too, but why not become a better person all-around?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
To counter that I have thick and curly black hair (ethnically mixed) and would do anything if I could just cut it all off. It just does not suit and I think would make me look way older or just "cute" because I too am very small.

I agree with you Vananners otherwise, great post!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would love to have thick hair. Mine is pretty fine and only slightly wavy...almost like it can't decide if it wants to be curly or straight.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Secondly, as much as looks shouldn't matter, they do. Why should people feel ashamed because they are trying to look better? Sure, I'm working on myself on the inside, too, but why not become a better person all-around?
No one is saying that looks don't matter! only that the stereotypical "longhairissexy" thinking is not always true for everyone and shouldn't be swallowed whole! We each have to do what we think is best for ourself, taking into account our lifestyle, overall physical attributes, and particular preferences, not to catch or please a man.

If becoming a better person all-around includes growing your hair long, then go for it!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would love to have thick hair. Mine is pretty fine and only slightly wavy...almost like it can't decide if it wants to be curly or straight.
The grass is always greener. My sister has stringy asian hair and I would love to have that instead of my thick curly black hair. I do not straighten because it is a waste in this weather (I now live in Miami).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts