Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

for those who cant see

http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...0504PM.jpg?o=8

She's so pretty. She's a model by the name of Tomiko Fraser. She does Maybelline. She's been with them for about 8 years but she is really not featured that often in their commercials. You see more of Adriana Lima

Her features are much more refined than mines though. But she is so lovely and in a lot of ways give me inspiration to appreciate my darkskin, even though I am lighter than her. She is such a beauty

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Naomi is a classic.

Just looking at Tomiko Fraser the other day, made me realize that maybe I shouldn't try to get too light. Currently I am lighter than her, but naturally I am quite dark. I mean, look at her, she's so beautiful, dark, and confident, than why can't I be the same? It would save me a lot of money to love myself anyway lmao

·
Registered
241 Posts
DBG out of curiosity, you say you were naturally dark, has anyone noticed your lighter skin tone? and what do you tell them when they do?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DBG out of curiosity, you say you were naturally dark, has anyone noticed your lighter skin tone? and what do you tell them when they do?
Yeah, a relative of mine. She's a cousin and we used to play together a lot. I was very chocolate back then. We met up again once at a family reunion, and she remarked that I was much lighter now. I just laughed and said, "really, I think I look the same". She just kept saying, "no you used to be much darker." And that was that. I think I blamed it on the makeup I was wearing.

A lot of people bleach their skin. I've met up with friends from high school that used to be dark, and noticed how lighter they are now. And they probably notice I am a bit lighter now too. They won't say anything because they are doing it too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I agree lots of people do it, however going back to Tomiko, who is an unquestionably beautiful dark skinned woman amongst many, I would say have confidence in your natural skin tone, but if you wanted to go lighter, maybe a few shades nothing extreme. I am personally in the process of lightening and evening certain problem areas, my goal is about one or two shades, nothing extreme.

·
Registered
265 Posts
different skin tones just fit different people and we all arent born with the perfect fit of nose or breast or skin tone and we decide to change. But some people are just lucky, she wouldnt even look good light she got the perfect shade for her.

I dont see lightening any different than any enhancement or plastic surgery. It doesnt mean you dont like the shade of color you are, you just dont like it on you but on others it may look amazing

·
Registered
138 Posts
I can understand how pale light skin is considered beautiful for white people but why black people? Shouldn't a refined version of a black persons natural skin tone be considered beautiful for them? And isn't it sort of racist to presume only pale light complexion=beauty?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Why does it have to be beautiful dark skinned women? Why not just a beautiful woman? In a way, it is saying that beauty in dark skin folks is a rarity or more rare than in fair toned persons. What does skin tone really have to do with being beautiful? Physical Beauy does not correlate to skin tone. If someone is not attractive, it is because of their features, not skin tone. I digress. But Naomi is gorgeous to me, especially when she was younger.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I can understand how pale light skin is considered beautiful for white people but why black people? Shouldn't a refined version of a black persons natural skin tone be considered beautiful for them? And isn't it sort of racist to presume only pale light complexion=beauty?
Good question! A complex question too with not one answer. While Black people come in various skin tones, from sandy beige to caramel brown to blue-black, for some, lighter skin is favored. But this issue transcends the Black community, colorism or having a idealized skin tones is common within the Hispanic and Asian community....

I don't think it is racist...I mean racism for me is more like you discriminate someone by treating them differently or whatnot because of their race.

I think this topic can branch out into other topics..

·
Registered
463 Posts
Why does it have to be beautiful dark skinned women? Why not just a beautiful woman? In a way, it is saying that beauty in dark skin folks is a rarity or more rare than in fair toned persons. What does skin tone really have to do with being beautiful? Physical Beauy does not correlate to skin tone. If someone is not attractive, it is because of their features, not skin tone. I digress. But Naomi is gorgeous to me, especially when she was younger.

Naomi is beautiful and she is not a light skinned person. I agree that it has more to do with features than your skin tone. I have come across some unattractive white/light skinned people.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
what features makes a person ugly?
I think the answer depends on the person, so there is no standard answer. But in general, people who have features that are not proportional or symmetrical are considered unattractive.

But different strokes for different folks, I personally think Rihanna is kinda ugly, her button nose and tall forehead, she looks like that alien in the predator movie,lol. But some think she is beautiful. But there is a general consensus of who's beautiful and who's not. For ex:, the majority of people think Halle is gorgeous while the majority think Sarah Jessica Parker is homely. All in all, ugly can come from one's actions or personality too.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the answer depends on the person, so there is no standard answer. But in general, people who have features that are not proportional or symmetrical are considered unattractive.

But different strokes for different folks, I personally think Rihanna is kinda ugly, her button nose and tall forehead, she looks like that alien in the predator movie,lol. But some think she is beautiful. But there is a general consensus of who's beautiful and who's not. For ex:, the majority of people think Halle is gorgeous while the majority think Sarah Jessica Parker is homely. All in all, ugly can come from one's actions or personality too.
I've heard a few people say that Rihanna is not classically beautiful. She is one of those women that have a lot of other attritubes that just triumph her not so good ones like a nice even skin tone, slim body, long legs, and green eyes. She takes good pictures too

1 - 20 of 400 Posts