Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

In the press recently I've just seen photographs of Madonna's arms. Over the years I have made efforts to maintain my muscle tone in my upper arms and have been satisfied with the results and can wear sleeveless tops with confidence.

But on seeing the excessive muscle definition in Madonna's arms I just wonder if she has gone to far.

I certainly wouldn't like definition like this.

I'd be very interested to know what other people do to ensure that their upper arms are well toned especially the backs of the arms.

I do press-ups and tricep dips and use light dumb bells but am guided by my husband who used to teach Physical Education,

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
698 Posts
ooo great thread! Ive constantly battled to try and get nice defined arms. I'm actually very slim all over but I don't think my arms are consistent with the rest of my body. They're not big in anyway but I do find the upper arm looks chunkier than the rest of my body. I have a very small waist and small bum
and so my arms look a lil odd to me. I do a lot of free weights and rowing but I still havent got my desired result....any tips?

And I totally agree about madonnas arms, they look rather scary! would never want that!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I do weights for my arms also. Morning and night. About 2 weeks ago there was a woman I saw with arms that would put most men to shame. We were at an "event" when I saw her. Everyone was staring at her and you could see all the whispers. For me she appeared to be freakish. Firm and tone is ok, but arms bigger than a lumberjack on roids no way.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi there,

In the press recently I've just seen photographs of Madonna's arms. Over the years I have made efforts to maintain my muscle tone in my upper arms and have been satisfied with the results and can wear sleeveless tops with confidence.

But on seeing the excessive muscle definition in Madonna's arms I just wonder if she has gone to far.

I certainly wouldn't like definition like this.

I'd be very interested to know what other people do to ensure that their upper arms are well toned especially the backs of the arms.

I do press-ups and tricep dips and use light dumb bells but am guided by my husband who used to teach Physical Education,

Best wishes,

redrose
To each their own, why do we critize a person for being too lean when it's considered rude to point out people who are fat?

Oprah is fat, Rosie is fat, even Jessica Simpson is starting to get fat. Have they gone too far?

If it's something that a person enjoys and we know that Madonna is a health freak then why does it matter?

Right now I'm not lean at all, but I'm off-season from modeling and bodybuilding right now so it doesn't matter, but when I get ready for a bodybuilding competition I get so lean you can fit your fingers between the abs. Is that going to far? Who cares, if I like to do it then that's all that matters.

On the other hands, I wouldn't want to date a woman that lean, but that's my personal preference, if she wants to get even leaner then all the power to her.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Tone or muscle! Heavier weights less reps for muscles, lighter weights more for tone is what I use.
While this is often true, it's not always the case. Your diet has much more to do with how you gain or lose weight rather than your rep scheme.

Also, there's much more to weight than just the rep scheme. There are rest periods, tempo, centric motion timing, eccentric motion timing, total workload, etc.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
I don't mind Madonna's arm definition. If she likes it so be it. To each their own. Like I have said before, If that is what makes them happy, then I am happy for them!

Having that kind of definition takes alot of time and effort.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Freddie I agree. And starting is not the right phrase for bimbo Simpson! Madonna works very hard and the alternative for a woman of 50 is likely not great. I see Jack Nicholson floating in Italy like a whale with a cigarette and then dancing the night away with girls far younger than him and he is called a "lad" or "stud" but the woman of 40 are all "still" good for their age (according to the media) until of course their flaws are shot then they are shown on close ups. Makes me dread getting older!

I have very toned arms and like my toned arms and I have veins everywhere too and I am in my 30's. They are not as Madonna's but they are toned enough that people comment. I let myself go once for a few months and hate the flab. It is as psychological as is overeating.

I do yoga and now also have incoprorated shadow boxing holding hand weights into my regimen. I also do rebounding and cardio via other activities.

I also agree with Fawnie, though I am not as far leaning they are shopped, I certainly think that when a photog takes a photo of some female celebrity and gets a really bad shot it seems to hit the front pages so much quicker than the good shots. I commented today in a Daily Mail (UK) article that showed how great Cindy Crawford looked that last time they did it they followed the great article with one showing her knee and stomach sagging. They seem to want to show women cannot stay young and fit without looking monstrous.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've been noticing that Madonna has gone for a very lean and muscular look, generally, for quite a while now.

As you say, it's her decision - and I admire her for hard work leading to results. All the same, I think she's possibly overdone it a bit and looks rather masculine to me.

Otherwise, I love her blonde glamour look and think she really suits it well...

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Freddy how can I get leaner slimmer arms? Without losing weight elsewhere?
Not Freddy....duh
It generally will not work that way. Just like trying to spot reduce your stomach to get those magic washboard abs wont work. If your overall weight/bodyfat suits you, just work on your arms with either weights, dumbells, or some kind of bodyweight resistance. Fairly high reps and short rest periods is an option. If your somebody who needs to lose weight/bodyfat all over, (someone other than yourself) create a calorie deficit of around 12-14 calories per pound of bodyweight. Combine this with resistance training and aerobic activity. Watch your carb intake. Especially try to avoid simple carbs. Eat high quality proteins from fish, whey protein, chicken, beans, legumes, seeds, nuts etc. Supplement with fish oil, extra virgin olive oil. At least take a quality multi-vit

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Not Freddy....duh
It generally will not work that way. Just like trying to spot reduce your stomach to get those magic washboard abs wont work. If your overall weight/bodyfat suits you, just work on your arms with either weights, dumbells, or some kind of bodyweight resistance. Fairly high reps and short rest periods is an option. If your somebody who needs to lose weight/bodyfat all over, (someone other than yourself) create a calorie deficit of around 12-14 calories per pound of bodyweight. Combine this with resistance training and aerobic activity. Watch your carb intake. Especially try to avoid simple carbs. Eat high quality proteins from fish, whey protein, chicken, beans, legumes, seeds, nuts etc. Supplement with fish oil, extra virgin olive oil. At least take a quality multi-vit
Ok so how can we get those washboard abs if spot reduceing your stomach doesn't work-

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Freddy,

What is centric motion timing as opposed to eccentric motion timing? You mention it in one of your posts. Really interested.

While this is often true, it's not always the case. Your diet has much more to do with how you gain or lose weight rather than your rep scheme.

Also, there's much more to weight than just the rep scheme. There are rest periods, tempo, centric motion timing, eccentric motion timing, total workload, etc.
Kind regards,

redrose

·
Registered
698 Posts
Thanks peri...but im scared if I keep doing weights, I'll end up making my arms look 'bigger' and even more out of proportion with the rest of my body. I've been told this isn't true, but I'm gaining muscle, and they just dont seem slimmer yet tho...

·
Registered
550 Posts
To each their own, why do we critize a person for being too lean when it's considered rude to point out people who are fat?

Oprah is fat, Rosie is fat, even Jessica Simpson is starting to get fat. Have they gone too far?

If it's something that a person enjoys and we know that Madonna is a health freak then why does it matter?

Right now I'm not lean at all, but I'm off-season from modeling and bodybuilding right now so it doesn't matter, but when I get ready for a bodybuilding competition I get so lean you can fit your fingers between the abs. Is that going to far? Who cares, if I like to do it then that's all that matters.

On the other hands, I wouldn't want to date a woman that lean, but that's my personal preference, if she wants to get even leaner then all the power to her.
Thanks for saying that!!
"To each their own, why do we critize a person for being too lean when it's considered rude to point out people who are fat?"

I have always been small and blond and women are so MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
I have had hundreds of strangers say to me "you're sooooo small" while they're eating a triple size banana split laced with a 5000 calorie candy bar and drinking their DIET COKE!!!!!LOL

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I can't agree more with Lordm- SOME Women are so mean. I'm not quite sure it's jealousy, or if deep down inside they feel like pond scum but hey they can be quite nasty! There are all kinds of body sizes and no doupt there are some people ready to critisize each and every one of them. (must be nice to have all that time, nothing bigger going through their brain!) I think anybody has the right to be comfortable with themselves. If they are happier over weight- why not let them (unless it's a health issue!) I would much rather my huney be a bit overweight than him be unhappy. When people are happy they exude confidence and that to me is as sexy as you can get. ( I'm saying be obese mind you but if that 10 lbs means the difference between being happy or unhappy I'll take the 10 LBS any day!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can't agree more with Lordm- SOME Women are so mean. I'm not quite sure it's jealousy, or if deep down inside they feel like pond scum but hey they can be quite nasty! There are all kinds of body sizes and no doupt there are some people ready to critisize each and every one of them. (must be nice to have all that time, nothing bigger going through their brain!) I think anybody has the right to be comfortable with themselves. If they are happier over weight- why not let them (unless it's a health issue!) I would much rather my huney be a bit overweight than him be unhappy. When people are happy they exude confidence and that to me is as sexy as you can get. ( I'm saying be obese mind you but if that 10 lbs means the difference between being happy or unhappy I'll take the 10 LBS any day!
That used to drive me crazy !!!!!!!!! I remember thinking when I was young that I couldn't wait to get old and over weight so I could blend in with everyone else. But I then wizened up and just started saying "Thank You!" IT WORKED.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts