Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys long time no see :) probably forgot me lol :p
anyway I was thinking about maintaining once i reach my goal.. still working towards my goal -_-... (kinda took a break) anyway

are these products enough for maintaining

BODY
kojie san soap
glytone body lotion

FACE
vitamin c serum 10%
Retin-a
sure white gel

also msm (2000mg) and vit c vitamins (2000mg)

is this enough?
what els can i add?

(using HQ twice a week at night is optional.. but I'd like to completely get rid of it :/)

thanks

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Whatever strength of hq used to lighten has to be equivalent to the strength in the alternative product you use otherwise you will darken. The best alternatives to hq are Kojic acid, alpha arbutin, mulberry extract, bearberry extract, niacinamide , liquorice extract and sepiwhite. It is best to get a product that incorporates at least 2 or 3 of these actives for example Kojic acid and alpha arbutin. Also use this with retin-a for penetration into the skin. It is best to exfoliate the skin first for these other actives to be effective so doing a peel or using an AHA lotion is important when using these products. The best way to do this is to wean yourself of hq by using it 5 times a week in conjunction with your alternative lightener then cut it down to 3 days then 1 day the just using your lightener. Don't forget to use vitamin c serum and sunblock and taking your supplements of vitamin c , msm and vitamin e. Drink lots of water and moisturise your skin at least 2ce a week using EVOO and sheabutter. This is what I did and it worked for me.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I don't know why people think kojic acid is a good alternative to hq
but i agree with the rest: alpha arbutin, mulberry extract, bearberry extract, niacinamide , liquorice extract and sepiwhite. Now what we need are good and cheap brands who sell creams with these ingredients or learn how to DIY

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I don't know why people think kojic acid is a good alternative to hq :confused:  but i agree with the rest:   alpha arbutin, mulberry extract, bearberry extract, niacinamide , liquorice extract and sepiwhite. Now what we need are good and cheap brands who sell creams with these ingredients or learn how to DIY :D
Why isn't Kojic acid a good alternative ? Is it as bad as hq I know it can be a skin irritant and cause skin thinning but at least it's not hq

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Thanks divine brown for the article as I mentioned before yes Kojic acid does cause irritation but that's for sensitive skin. It's still a very good alternative to hq and it is also effective in lightening the skin. The best way to use Kojic acid is to buy a product that has it with another active or mix Kojic acid with another skin lightener to buffer it. It sure works for me I don't use Kojic acid on its own I only use Kojic acid on its own in soaps. Kojic acid is not for every one.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
Isnt alpha arbutin a derivative of HQ, so wouldnt using it kinda defeat the purpose?

@Ken yes you can. Also remember to continue practicing SAP.

·
Registered
263 Posts
well isnt kojic acid just as bad as hq and isnt alpha arbutin hq ? so maybe you guys should look for a cream/lotion with licorice root bearbeary extract or whatever lol i'm thinking about ordering lemon peel. cause its natural.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
From reading all the literature concerning these alternatives alpha arbutin is not the same as HQ it is a derivative so is mulberry and bear berry extract so they are not HQ as for kojic acid it is a good alternative to HQ but not so good for sensitive skin because its an irritant.

If you want to maintain and you don't use any of these alternatives its most likely you will re darken.
Licorice is not an effective lightener you will need a very high % to get any form of effective lightening
Nacinaminde and sepiwhite also are not effective lighteners you will have to add another lightener with it to make it effective and vitamin c is a skin brightener.

So if you were dark before and are now light from using hq using these not so effective lighteners on their own will not be effective enough to maintain your complexion.

These other lighteners are still alternatives to HQ ask your dermatologist for advice.

All i can say is if you don't use Alpha- arbutin, mulberry extract, bear berry extract and arbutin ( these are all derivatives of HQ) and kojic acid it will be difficult to maintain the complexion you now have from using HQ.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
well isnt kojic acid just as bad as hq and isnt alpha arbutin hq ? so maybe you guys should look for a cream/lotion with licorice root bearbeary extract or whatever lol i'm thinking about ordering lemon peel. cause its natural.
Ken the best thing is not to use hq in the first place to lighten because i dont think lemon peel or licorice will be effective enough to maintain a complexion acheived from hq unless a low % of hq was used for example hq 2%.

So it will be best just to use the lemon peel and licorice from the startof your journey.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Once i stop using HQ creams. and started using natural lighteners, that's when i noticed that my skin tone was getting lighter. HQ does lighten your skin, but for me the effects did not last long, it was a yo yo effect. So now i just use ingredients with mulberry extract, kojic acid,etc and it is working really good for me. oh i don't feel that yo yo effect with natural lighters. as long as i use SAP and continue to use my natural lighteners, i feel i can look lighter longer.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Once i stop using HQ creams. and started using natural lighteners, that's when i noticed that my skin tone was getting lighter. HQ does lighten your skin, but for me the effects did not last long, it was a yo yo effect. So now i just use ingredients with mulberry extract, kojic acid,etc and it is working really good for me. oh i don't feel that yo yo effect with natural lighters. as long as i use SAP and continue to use my natural lighteners, i feel i can look lighter longer.
Thank you for this you are just confirming what i am trying to explain here, this also worked for me and i too noticed i was getting lighter and other members here also experienced this from using these alternatives.

·
Registered
283 Posts
the products cited above are fine
but i might had that retin a long term can irritate the skin and should be use in small quantities especially on the face when you want to maintain
lemon peel and also pumpkin peel are great to maintain gives a nice glow

what about msm and pycnogenol both internally and externally ... should help also what do you think ?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts