Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone. i am doing a english report and i need to find out anything you know about any beauty treatment history. if you do know anything could you email the info to my email address and your name. it needs to be in by tuesday 9th so could you get back to me before them. thank you. x

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
What do you mean beauty treatment history??? Like what kind of treatment? There are tons of different kinds of treatments, and tons of info on the net you can get about them.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
hello everyone. i am doing a english report and i need to find out anything you know about any beauty treatment history. if you do know anything could you email the info to my email address and your name. it needs to be in by tuesday 9th so could you get back to me before them. thank you. x
The best thing to do is to do a search on the internet. The history of beauty treatments is something that I've not seen discussed here on this site. Good luck.

Besides - the fact that you are looking for names would be problem for many if not most of us. We use screen names and not our real names for privacy purposes.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This is a fascinating subject and you should find loads of info if you google it!

Cleopatra = milk baths (lactic acid), kohl eye makeup
Victorians = white lead in makeup (not such a good idea), outlined their temple veins with blue pencil (considered beautiful), shaved their hairlines to have a really high forehead. Men and women wore fake "beauty marks" and wigs.
Geisha = lots of interesting info with them! Nightingale droppings were used to bleach their skin.

Post what you find for us all to see!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Interesting topic!!
Well add to the list that Fawnie has given you. In the Georgian era, women wore make up that was bees waxed based (these obviously been very rich women) and they often had to cover their faces in the evening if there was a fire been lit in the same that they were sitting in, otherwise their make up would have melted. It is thought that, that is where the expression "why the long face?" came from.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well that's interesting Maha! Thanks! Beeswax we still use today! But hopefully not that much!

Some treatments were just torture>the Chinese custom of foot binding, which deformed the feet into dainty little "hooves".

I'd like to read more about this if anyone has any info out there to share!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes it is interesting. Mike first told me but I didn't take his word for it. Until 2 weeks ago when Mike took me to see the royal pavilion and the guide took us to the sitting room and she said that they used to do that.

Yes the Chinese foot bounding thing is torture, when I did Chinese at school my Chinese teacher said that her grandmother has had her foot bound.

In Africa, I forget which tribe and which country but there is a group who apparently put rings around the necks of baby girls (bounding the neck with metal rings) and every year they would put a new one so that it matches her age, for example if a girl is five years then she would have five rings around her neck.
These rings would elongate the neck which is considered to be highly attractive. (if I am wrong, apologies and please do correct me).

Again in Africa and another tribe, they force feed their women because the men there find curvy women attractive. I saw a documentary with my sister ages ago on this.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Now if I could just get y'all to do my work for me too! I've got a list a mile long!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
BTW mikz, for your English class.....don't forget to capitalize the "E"....
LOL, not just the E on English needs to be capitalized. Each sentence should start with a capitalized letter-goodness mikz you have me worried about your English grade!!!

See you can't post on this site asking for help, the watch dogs around here will get you!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Like someone above said, there are too many things to write about, make up history is just too general. For example, tattoos dates back to centuries ago, my mother got hers done 60 years ago! Tribal marks (sharp knives were used to calve marks on people's faces) was something people in africa put on their faces to look beautiful in those days. Are you talking about facial makeup as in lip liners, lip sticks, I don't really get it, can you be more specific. I think google is your best friend on this one!

·
Registered
383 Posts
BTW mikz, for your English class.....don't forget to capitalize the "E"....
Not to mention, the comma's and the colons and the semi colons, and the meter, and Iambic pentameter and the rhymes and the half rhymes and the correct spelling by country, e.g. naivety is the American spelling, whereas naivete is the English spelling, oh don't forgot to pronounce the words correctly!! Oh dear Lord! I'm starting to sound like my English Lit teacher!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hmmmmmm interesting way to go about having us cool people do the research for ya!! Do libraries still exist? Back in the day when I had to do a report I have to go to the library and get information from the books and read through them and write the report and give credit to the source. No internet! How'd we ever do it?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hmmmmmm interesting way to go about having us cool people do the research for ya!! Do libraries still exist? Back in the day when I had to do a report I have to go to the library and get information from the books and read through them and write the report and give credit to the source. No internet! How'd we ever do it?
Well, the fact that the poster asked the question here on Saturday for a paper that is due on Tuesday kind of says how focused he/she has been on his/her work all term. If I were grading a paper based on such dubious sources (sorry folks) and so little effort work or creativity, I would give them an unsatisfactory grade (and I have).

Plus the student never even came back to thank folks who did respond for their input.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Tell me about it!! I used to spend HOURS at the library doing reports, etc. Now a days that is unheard of. My boys laugh at me when I tell them what I had to do to get my school work done. That was back before BC (before computers). With computers and all the other devices available getting info should be a piece of cake!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I still have to use books, sometimes you get really good info from books then the internet and also the info on the internet is questionable. And beside if I don't use books then the board will deduct points and marks from my essays and courseworks.
To get an A in my other course you would need to use four different sources to get info.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts