Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read and read this forum and I LOVE it!! I have now decided I would like to try to make my own skin care products. I am going to start with the vitamin C serum as it seems easy enough for a newbie. I am also wanting to make a face moisturiser, I am not sure where to start, I am thinking you need a basic base cream of some sort and then add your own goodies to see what works for you? I am 45yrs old with normal to dry skin. Eye serum and or cream is another staple I would be interested in attempting, would love to hear from anyone with some hints or tips, (working on the anti ageing angle here) I have fine lines and eyes have dark circles and bags
Thank you!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Hi @mandyqld , for a base cream, makingcosmetics.com (and even lotion crafters) have lots of options - and even an antiaging one. You could then ofcourse add some actives like hyaluronic acid, CoQ10 , collagen, aha extract, vit.e, kojic acid etc.

I'd also suggest you begin to use Retin A if you're not already ...

·
Administrator
33,730 Posts
Yes, agree with @AIME above and to add to this GOW (Garden of Wisdom) is also a great place to look for base creams. Most DIY suppliers these days are creating their own "base" options, lots to choose from.

As for ingredients to add, skies the limit! Go to each site, and look at various ingredients and read their descriptions to see if they fit your skins, wants/needs.

We have a "finding ingredients" forum
http://www.skincaretalk.com/forumdisplay.php/81-Finding-Ingredients

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Yes, GOW has some great stuff too @gymrat .... I'm intrigued by this one called "edelweiss " - wanna try it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Aime I have looked at lotion crafters will check out the other place, I am in Australia and postage is very expensive, I will try to locate a place over here too. I can't locate the Sea Kelp bioferment over here for the vitamin C serum wonder if it is called something else as well! I am just trying to source products for the moment and then may put a list together and post to see what you all think :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Gymrat, I am very excited it would be nice to know what exactly is going on my skin!! I will look at Garden of Wisdom and see what the postage is like over to Australia, and also try to source some Aussies sites. I did have a brief look for the above link (thank you) but couldn't find any other Aussies on there. Will post when I get a list of what I feel may suit me before I purchase to get opinions, thank you again!!

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Thank you Aime I have looked at lotion crafters will check out the other place, I am in Australia and postage is very expensive, I will try to locate a place over here too. I can't locate the Sea Kelp bioferment over here for the vitamin C serum wonder if it is called something else as well! I am just trying to source products for the moment and then may put a list together and post to see what you all think :)

@mandyqld : No problem hun, I too am in the process of getting/sourcing for some of my ingredients and for sure shipping + taxes cost an arm and a leg - but I've little option.

SKB - I don't think its got another name my dear. ...

·
Administrator
33,730 Posts
Thank you Gymrat, I am very excited it would be nice to know what exactly is going on my skin!! I will look at Garden of Wisdom and see what the postage is like over to Australia, and also try to source some Aussies sites. I did have a brief look for the above link (thank you) but couldn't find any other Aussies on there. Will post when I get a list of what I feel may suit me before I purchase to get opinions, thank you again!!
Try New Directions
http://www.newdirections.com.au/content.php?p=home-home-campaigns

·
Administrator
33,730 Posts
Thank you Gym I stumbled across this last night and was pretty excited. NO mention of Sea Kelp though, but most other things are on the site :) Now to write the wish list!
I get my SKB from Bulkactives. But other names to look for it maybe try Sea Kelp Extract or even Laminaria Digitata or replace the SKB and use Aloe in its place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally found SKB here in Aussie, expensive but still cheaper then postage from the states. All ingredients ordered for Vitamin C Serum, very excited. I have been reading and reading on things to add to my base cream. Being for Anti Ageing (45yrs old fine lines, dark circles around eyes and puffiness) it is very very overwhelming, but so far I am liking the sounds of the following: Hyaluronic Acid, Matrixyl, Green Tea Oil, Grape seed oil, CoQ10, would love to hear others opinions on these and any I could be missing that they feel could benefit. My skin is normal to dryish in the winter! PS...... Retin A cream .05% also ordered and on the way from the states :) I know to do this slowly veeeeeeeeeery slowly.............

·
Registered
106 Posts
Finally found SKB here in Aussie, expensive but still cheaper then postage from the states. All ingredients ordered for Vitamin C Serum, very excited. I have been reading and reading on things to add to my base cream. Being for Anti Ageing (45yrs old fine lines, dark circles around eyes and puffiness) it is very very overwhelming, but so far I am liking the sounds of the following: Hyaluronic Acid, Matrixyl, Green Tea Oil, Grape seed oil, CoQ10, would love to hear others opinions on these and any I could be missing that they feel could benefit. My skin is normal to dryish in the winter! PS...... Retin A cream .05% also ordered and on the way from the states
I know to do this slowly veeeeeeeeeery slowly.............
I know this is an older post but @mandyqld did you ever make your cream? How did it work out for you?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Yes I did and I have never looked back. My skin is silky smooth, my mum and daughter now both use my concoctions :) I actually went to get a facial, and the lady told me my skin was so lovely and plump and asked my secret, I simply told her I studied asked lots of questions and make my own skin creams

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Yes I did and I have never looked back. My skin is silky smooth, my mum and daughter now both use my concoctions
I actually went to get a facial, and the lady told me my skin was so lovely and plump and asked my secret, I simply told her I studied asked lots of questions and make my own skin creams
@mandyqld that's awesome!! What did you end up using in your final product? Your skin issues you mentioned that you wanted to tackle are so similar to mine I'd love to hear what you needed up using. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@mandyqld that's awesome!! What did you end up using in your final product? Your skin issues you mentioned that you wanted to tackle are so similar to mine I'd love to hear what you needed up using. :)
MrsBurney, I can't claim it is any exact science for me..... on this forum there is a recipe for a power punched moisturizer and I loosely followed that, each time I do actually change and rotate some of the ingredients, I also now order many ingredients from Skinactives, even though I am in Australia, they charge only $10 postage and my products arrive in 10 to 14 days.
I start with a base cream (European from Skinactives)
Additives I use:
Green Tea Powder
Antioxident Booster
Resveratrol
Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide)
Ferulic Acid
ALA
Sea Kelp Bioferment
Co Enzyme Q10

When I make a new batch I will replace a couple of the above and add a couple of these: Argireline, Green Coffee Seed, Jojoba Oil, Carrot Seed Essential Oil, Rosehip Oil

That is my box of goodies.........
Every night I wash my face with a gentle face wash, I use retin A .5% 5 nights out of 7, the other 2 nights I do a Coconut and sugar scrub ( LOVE LOVE LOVE this scrub, just a bit of organic coconut oil and a pinch of raw sugar) massage onto face for a minute or two, wipe off with a warm washer and then just smooth on a bit of Sweet Almond Oil.
Every morning I splash my face with plain water, pat dry, put on my homemade Vit C Serum (many recipes on this forum), follow with HA Serum (Recipe on this forum) and my moisturizer.... My lines are still there, but they are much less noticeable as my skin is so silky smooth, plump and glowing............ I am very much a beginner and have much to learn, but I am loving the journey!!! I also admit to loving the comments from people when I talk about my 5 Grandchildren and their response is how on earth can you have 5 you don't look old enough.... that is always a lovely thing for any gal to hear :D Hope this helps

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tragically replying to my own post here lol.... but always open to suggestion to improve my concoction above ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
@mandyqld that's awesome!! What did you end up using in your final product? Your skin issues you mentioned that you wanted to tackle are so similar to mine I'd love to hear what you needed up using.
MrsBurney, I can't claim it is any exact science for me..... on this forum there is a recipe for a power punched moisturizer and I loosely followed that, each time I do actually change and rotate some of the ingredients, I also now order many ingredients from Skinactives, even though I am in Australia, they charge only $10 postage and my products arrive in 10 to 14 days.
I start with a base cream (European from Skinactives)
Additives I use:
Green Tea Powder
Antioxident Booster
Resveratrol
Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide)
Ferulic Acid
ALA
Sea Kelp Bioferment
Co Enzyme Q10

When I make a new batch I will replace a couple of the above and add a couple of these: Argireline, Green Coffee Seed, Jojoba Oil, Carrot Seed Essential Oil, Rosehip Oil

That is my box of goodies.........
Every night I wash my face with a gentle face wash, I use retin A .5% 5 nights out of 7, the other 2 nights I do a Coconut and sugar scrub ( LOVE LOVE LOVE this scrub, just a bit of organic coconut oil and a pinch of raw sugar) massage onto face for a minute or two, wipe off with a warm washer and then just smooth on a bit of Sweet Almond Oil.
Every morning I splash my face with plain water, pat dry, put on my homemade Vit C Serum (many recipes on this forum), follow with HA Serum (Recipe on this forum) and my moisturizer.... My lines are still there, but they are much less noticeable as my skin is so silky smooth, plump and glowing............ I am very much a beginner and have much to learn, but I am loving the journey!!! I also admit to loving the comments from people when I talk about my 5 Grandchildren and their response is how on earth can you have 5 you don't look old enough.... that is always a lovely thing for any gal to hear
Hope this helps
That cream sounds divine! I have most of those ingredients and I'm itching to make something. I just might have to give this a try. I need the base cream do you recommend the European or is there another one that you prefer?

I make a Vit C and HA serum from here as well and love them.

I'm so going to try your face scrub, I'll need to figure a way to incorporate it. I've been doing a MA/SA peel once a week trying to clear up and smooth out my skin.

I'm sure with all these lil beauties you use you look more like the mom then grandma! I want to look that good when I become a grandma. :)

Thank you so much for sharing your cream and routine with me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mrs Burney as to base cream I have the canvas and European, I am happy with both, they say you can use any basic moisturizer. Yes definitely try the scrub I promise it is lovely and leaves your skin very hydrated. When adding ingredients I just follow the recommended amounts by the manufacturer........... I would love to hear more about your peels? I have never had the courage to try one? Do you make your own?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mrs Burney as to base cream I have the canvas and European, I am happy with both, they say you can use any basic moisturizer. Yes definitely try the scrub I promise it is lovely and leaves your skin very hydrated. When adding ingredients I just follow the recommended amounts by the manufacturer........... I would love to hear more about your peels? I have never had the courage to try one? Do you make your own?
@mandyqld I am looking at buying both and doing a 50/50 base as well but still research what I want to add. I'd add everything I could, if it wouldn't break the bank account! :/ lol

I have never made my own peel. I've used a Jessner, years ago, a LA/GA peel from RetinGlow and now I'm doing a series of MA/SA from MUAC, after about 4 weeks I am starting to see some results, smoother more even toned skin. Most don't have flaking with this peel but I did with the 1st and 2nd one. Both times the peel made me really red and I panicked until gymrat put my mind at ease.

After I do about 6 weeks of this I will start using the MA as my light weekly peel. Hoping to work up the nerves for a TCA peel in the fall.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi @mandyqld so this is what I am going to put together, let me know your thoughts. @gymrat , would like your thoughts as well. Anything you would increase/decrease, add or remove? Can I use this as a day and night cream, as well as after putting on my RA? TIA!!

50/50 Canvas and European creams from Skinactives = 4.3oz cream (70%)

Additives I will use:
Antioxident Booster - 1%
ALA - 4%
Co Enzyme Q10 - 3%
Green Tea extract - 2%
DMAE - 4%
Ferulic Acid - 1%
HA - 1%
Lactic Acid - 2%
Oil - 2 % (not sure which oil I want to use, Avocado, Argan, Jojoba or Rosehip Seed Oil)
Resveratrol - 2%
Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) - 3%
Vitamin E - 2%
Sea Kelp Bioferment - 3%

1 - 20 of 23 Posts