Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Iamme has a tutorial using Aveeno and CeraVe. I'm not sure about your specific lotion. Tinker and found out. Additionally, use the search please!

http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/iammes-zinc-oxide-sunscreen-with-aveeno-lotion

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
if I have an already made moisturizer.... is it possible to add zinc oxide or something to it in order to get spf 30 protection??? i'm using these moisturizers: http://www.essentialwholesale.com/s.nl/sc.9/category.10795/.f
Tattoo Lotion already has zinc oxide. I would email the Co to ask what % it contains. http://www.essentialwholesale.com/Tattoo-Lotion

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
52 Posts
Is 30 SPF or 25% OZ really enough for someone on RA, I always assumed that higher the SPF, the better. I'm using the chemical 70 SPF now but I'd like to switch to a DYI OZ.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always assumed that higher the SPF, the better.
No, that is a fallacy. SPF only tells you the sunscreen's effectiveness in blocking UVB rays and ONLY UVB rays. SPF tells nothing about UVA rays (the rays that we are exposed to daily, rain or shine).

Anything above an SPF 30 is redundant and meaningless because:
-there is a law of diminishing returns after SPF 30. SPF 15 blocks 93%, SPF 30 blocks 97% of UVB rays and SPF 100 blocks 99%. No sunscreen blocks 100% of UV rays. The only thing that blocks 100% of rays in placing a cardboard box over your head. There are some high SPF sunscreens that don't block UVA rays at all. You must read the ingredients to see if it contains zinc, titanium, avobenzone, or Mexoryl.

-in order for sunscreen to keep working, it must be reapplied.
-generally, the higher the SPF, the greasier.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up, Hello. :)

I'm going to be placing an order for a DYI Vit C serum and OZ this week and wanted to know if the DYI OZ sunscreens were water/sweat proof .

I will need something waterproof/long lasting for when I'm outdoors on a run.

Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay awesome so all i need to do is add 25% zinc oxide to a moisturizer.... and i have about an spf 30?

and it would be UVA and UVB protection since its zinc oxide?

i dont need a combination of sunscreen ingredients to be the most effective sunscreen, right?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
okay awesome so all i need to do is add 25% zinc oxide to a moisturizer.... and i have about an spf 30?

and it would be UVA and UVB protection since its zinc oxide?

i dont need a combination of sunscreen ingredients to be the most effective sunscreen, right?
That is all true! However, the next question is cosmetic "feel." When you mix that much ZnO into a moisturizer, the result is an extremely matte, dry, unpleasant feel on the skin. And also, that much ZnO is hard to incorporate into plain moisturizer. So here is my refined recipe that has a nice feel to it:

27.5 grams of Cerave Moisturizing Lotion
6 grams of oil (I used a combo of Apricot, Grapeseed, jojoba)
12 grams of coated zinc oxide (micronized bordering on nano)
3-4 drops of polysorbate 80 - This takes the mixture from lumpy to creamy/smooth

You can also tint it with various iron oxides to make it skin colored.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Thank you for clearing that up, Hello. :)

I'm going to be placing an order for a DYI Vit C serum and OZ this week and wanted to know if the DYI OZ sunscreens were water/sweat proof .

I will need something waterproof/long lasting for when I'm outdoors on a run.

Thank you for any help.
They are definitely NOT sweatproof! I've tried adding beeswax, and even that isn't sweatproof. So, if you find the answer to that one, let us know!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just found a blog post about doing this, and I've been doing it for about a week and really like it. In the post, she just mixed uncoated zinc oxide powder with fav moisturizer and applies. I wish I had a way to determine spf, but I guess if I had some good measuring equipment I could figure it out.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Unfortunately, you do need a scale so that you know what percentage ZnO your sunscreen will be. But the good thing is that you can find a very cheap one - which is okay if you are only using it to make sunscreen. Here is one option, but there are many: http://www.amazon.com/Weigh-MS-500-BLK-Digital-Pocket-Scale/dp/tech-data/B000P1NYE8

The two issues I see with that blog "recipe" are: 1) without adding additional oil, you will get a concoction that will suck all the moisture out of your skin and leave it extremely dry (ask me how I know!), and 2) uncoated ZnO does not disperse well in lotion. It tends to clump, even with lots of mixing with a frother. So you end up having uneven distribution and risk not having adequate coverage. So coated would be better for DIY.

That's why I refined the recipe to the one you see in post #10 above.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the link! I've tried the recipe with two different lotions: cereve pm and theraplex. It doesn't clump at all with cereve pm but it does with theraplex. I have really oily skin, so it's worked well for me so far since my skin is oily anyway...but I can see that it could be drying for someone without oily skin. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
If you're just mixing oil and lotion, you can just stir. But if you are adding zinc oxide, you will need a mixer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i tried making this but it came out watery within 24 hours...

does it need preservative?

maybe i should try adding less oil? or maybe no oil?
or do you think the polysorbate 80 should be added BEFORE adding the zinc oxide?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts