Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am always so scared to try any products because I breakout so easily. I used to have bad cystic acne so I have lots of left over red marks, and actually alot of uneven brown spots that are not really freckles, but just sun damage maybe even though Im only 24. I have my acne more under control these days, but I still breakout if I use products that contain bad ingredients. So my question is, is there any product out there that will take away these brown patches and spots so that I can finally enjoy my skin and feel embarassed to go without foundation? It breaks my heart because now that my acne is finally clear, I am hiding my face becaause of the uneven color
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Prettybow,

I'm a decade and bit older than you and dear friend...I still break out (sorry for the bad news).

Since I'm a beauty editor, I've been looking for a way to deal with these pesky dark spots and have been testing a natural product for about one month 1/2 now and it has done wonders. I also find that it actually helps prevent more breakouts and I believe it's because of the lactic acid.

In any case, I'll be going over the details of my test in details for my readers, but you can surely take a look at the site. This is a US product and I believe it's sold is soooooo many spas that focus on a more natural approach.

Beware that it's not cheap...I think it's $56 US, but it's a large bottle and it will last a good 3 months.

It's called Botanical Skin Brightener from Naturophatica. Do a google search and you'll find them...also when you land on the site...it's under serum (if my memory serves me correctly).

I've also found another product that deals with scars and will be testing that one in Feb08 and will be reporting on my weekly progress.

Adult acne and scars are the most common skin problem today and most people who deal with them HATE IT!

Good luck,

Gisele

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello;
Gisele made a wonderful suggestion! May I add to perhaps include an AHA exfoliation (Glycolic to be exact. Molecularly it's the smallest of all the AHA's and can penetrate the deepest.) Please note that you should see an esthetician that can begin you slowly on this and get your skin gradually accustomed to it. It's a process and I would not suggest a peel immediately since you NEED to use products at home that can begin preparing your skin.

The product Gisele has recommended should work well with AHA's. Use your judgment and patch test a section of your skin first.

The reason exfoliation helps is because melanin (the dark color) is trapped in with the dead skin we exfoliate. When we exfoliate, it helps even the skin tone. Please note that in your case I would not recommend scrubs (they don't penetrate as deeply as an AHA) and you want to avoid microderm or anything that causes heat and friction. Laser could work against you too, it depends.

The last and MOST important part of your new regimen will also be an SPF. I would recommend something from either a dermatologist or a professional skin care brand. The drug store brands are not as effective. Remember: an SPF number only indicates UVB protection (or Burning rays) and the level of protection from UVA radiation (or Aging rays and the ones that cause hyperpigmentation more) is NOT included in an SPF number. It's a separate rating system (either Australian Standard Rating system). I would ideally recommend a product with a higher level of Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide; two organic and very effective UVA blockers.

Lastly, consider, if you're not using it already, mineral makeup. Minerals are also very rich in Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. For suggestions if you are looking for something that's not too heavy feeling, feel free to contact me directly if you like.

The AHA's should also help with the breakouts
and the sun block will also help prevent those post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (little dark spots after a pimple)...it's a win-win!

Hope this helps!

Esthetician Marcella

·
Registered
4 Posts
salicylic acid is great to diminish the appearance of your acne scars, and dark spots. i have melasma and have been doing peels every couple weeks and have really seen a difference, but you have to ALWAYS wear sunscreen or the dark spots will come right back....apply it 3 times a day even if it isnt sunny out...its a great habit to get into.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try this product with glycolic acid and salicylate. It leaves a peppermint smell on your face after each use. I use it myself too

deep acne facial wash

·
Registered
11 Posts
try celacor. the ingredients are natural. be careful with glycolic and latic acid as some people experience photo-sensativity when using these hydroxy acids. i did, and ended up with extensive pigmentation!!!! i had already used celacor for a dark area above my lip and used it again, when i developed the dark patches on my face. my melasma faded at least 80%.

you can google them but last time i checked their web store was not open yet. their e-mail is [email protected] or you can try amazon.

good luck, i know how you feel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to this site but I am a nurse so I know you have to be careful with lots of things on your skin. I felt really sorry when I read your posting as there are some things that can help. The posting on lactic acid I did see but first I suppose you want to make the pigmentation less. There is a product called Enlighten (Theraderm) and this works really really well. The skincare around it is lactic acid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what you described, it sounds more like hyperpigmentation secondary to post-acne changes. Melesma tends to occur later, secondary to pregnancy or hormonal changes.

Try LMB Depigmentation, which is a hydroquinone free formula, that is really effective in lightening skin pigmentation. You can obtain it from their derma talkshop website

I am always so scared to try any products because I breakout so easily. I used to have bad cystic acne so I have lots of left over red marks, and actually alot of uneven brown spots that are not really freckles, but just sun damage maybe even though Im only 24. I have my acne more under control these days, but I still breakout if I use products that contain bad ingredients. So my question is, is there any product out there that will take away these brown patches and spots so that I can finally enjoy my skin and feel embarassed to go without foundation? It breaks my heart because now that my acne is finally clear, I am hiding my face becaause of the uneven color
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hello;
Gisele made a wonderful suggestion! May I add to perhaps include an AHA exfoliation (Glycolic to be exact. Molecularly it's the smallest of all the AHA's and can penetrate the deepest.) Please note that you should see an esthetician that can begin you slowly on this and get your skin gradually accustomed to it. It's a process and I would not suggest a peel immediately since you NEED to use products at home that can begin preparing your skin.

The product Gisele has recommended should work well with AHA's. Use your judgment and patch test a section of your skin first.

The reason exfoliation helps is because melanin (the dark color) is trapped in with the dead skin we exfoliate. When we exfoliate, it helps even the skin tone. Please note that in your case I would not recommend scrubs (they don't penetrate as deeply as an AHA) and you want to avoid microderm or anything that causes heat and friction. Laser could work against you too, it depends.

The last and MOST important part of your new regimen will also be an SPF. I would recommend something from either a dermatologist or a professional skin care brand. The drug store brands are not as effective. Remember: an SPF number only indicates UVB protection (or Burning rays) and the level of protection from UVA radiation (or Aging rays and the ones that cause hyperpigmentation more) is NOT included in an SPF number. It's a separate rating system (either Australian Standard Rating system). I would ideally recommend a product with a higher level of Titanium Dioxide or Zinc Oxide; two organic and very effective UVA blockers.

Lastly, consider, if you're not using it already, mineral makeup. Minerals are also very rich in Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide. For suggestions if you are looking for something that's not too heavy feeling, feel free to contact me directly if you like.

The AHA's should also help with the breakouts
and the sun block will also help prevent those post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (little dark spots after a pimple)...it's a win-win!

Hope this helps!

Esthetician Marcella
Excellent advice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't understand why no-one is suggesting hydroquinine as a remedy for melasma? It's had bad press in the past but there is no evidence that it is anything but helpful for this condition. Obviously, sun protection is a constant must.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks!
Hi hun

Ive had the same, so easy to sort.
Roaccutane!!!! It'll cahange your life as it did mine.
Ali x

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awww hun, im feeling your pain. I sufferd from cystic acne too but used roaccutane which is a wonder treatment then left it six months which is a must before going for treatment for my Melasma/Chloasma. For the time being until I find out if Amelan works go for a good camoflage make up. Jane Iredale is fantastic and ive used it for about 6 years, it stops breakouts as it wont clog your pores. If you fancy a try i can pass you the number of my lady who will send you samples.

ALi x

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've developed very bad melasma on my upper lip. Hoping to find some topical treatment/ laser etc to remove but still looking into this - any advice would be very much appreciated.

In the meantime I found this good make-up tip; I've spent a fortune on all camoflauge make-ups, I found they still didn't quite cover the darkness though but when watching all the vids on the net on how to cover up, they often used someone with a port wine stain as an example so I figured that perhaps red covers up much easer. So I decided to try putting a red/ pink lipstick as a concealer then covering up with a camoflauge make-up, of the ones I've tried I found dermablend the best. Odd as it sounds cover up your melasma with lipstick first then dab on foundation using the finger technique, warming up the makeup on your wrist first then dab onto your face.

Would love to know if this works for anyone else

·
Registered
3 Posts
try Grapefruit seed extract (liquid) kills internal fungul and bacteria.
It has worked wonders for me I have had melasma for 17 years and it is almost gone.

Glinda

1 - 20 of 38 Posts