Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to recent clinical studies, Melatonin helps your body to slow doing the aging process so it can be considered an anti-aging drug as well as a sleep aid.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This is one of the grey areas, Melatonin is found in higher concentrations in the young, is that antiaging or another factor? TBD! But Yes, I use it nightly!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow per, you seem to be ahead of everyone on health, antiaging and skincare from reading your posts, you are most likely going to be ageless with the amount of knowledge you have

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
wow per, you seem to be ahead of everyone on health, antiaging and skincare from reading your posts, you are most likely going to be ageless with the amount of knowledge you have
Well that is a current photo of me on the left.

I guess cigs are not that bad for you.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I have given up taking Melatonin as a sleep aid and just take it because Peri said it is good for the anti aging benefits-

I take 3mg a day. I don't think there is much that can help me sleep, other than maybe having a few shots before I go to bed, then I would wake up not feeling very well.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have been taking it for sleep since 2006. Works like a charm. The time release is better. If it has anti-aging benefits, all the better!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I have been taking it for sleep since 2006. Works like a charm. The time release is better. If it has anti-aging benefits, all the better!
When do you take it? how many mgs? I remember you saying you took it, but I forget how many mgs you take. I like all the time release vitamins/supplements. With melatonin, you just hope it releases at the right time-

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I purchased 5 mg Melatonin pills yesterday night to help me sleep and, I popped two of them before going to bed and boy did I sleep till eternity! LOL, I was out for 12 hours and when I woke up, I felt like I could keep going, I felt like I can sleep the whole day to complete 24 hours without tossing and turning and waking up. Finally, I found a natural sleep medication thats not detrimental to your long term health and doesnt give you crazy/freakishly weird side effects like Ambien. Also, my dreams were so vivid and beautiful actually, it was like I was in another world. I can still picture and remember my dreams when I woke up.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Well, I purchased 5 mg Melatonin pills yesterday night to help me sleep and, I popped two of them before going to bed and boy did I sleep till eternity! LOL, I was out for 12 hours and when I woke up, I felt like I could keep going, I felt like I can sleep the whole day to complete 24 hours without tossing and turning and waking up. Finally, I found a natural sleep medication thats not detrimental to your long term health and doesnt give you crazy/freakishly weird side effects like Ambien. Also, my dreams were so vivid and beautiful actually, it was like I was in another world. I can still picture and remember my dreams when I woke up.
You took 2, 5mg OMG I would sleep for eternity too holy moly!!!

I am glad it helped you sleep and I am glad you had nice dreams, I wish I slept long enough to dream-

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
It takes a LOT for me. 10 or 15 mgs. My doc says that's fine. I tried most of the prescription sleep aids and they did nothing for me. Heck I can take amounts of narcotics that would put most people in a coma and I'm still awake and kicking. Just my metabolism, I guess. And I take "drugs" rarely. Ambien did absolutely nothing for me. My daughter tried it and literally hallucinated on that stuff!!! Lunesta helped me some, but left the most God awful taste in my mouth. ACK had to stop that. Besides, I did not even sleep through the night on it any way. I do with melatonin time release.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
When I first started taking melatonin I had wild dreams, and I have wild dreams anyway! lol It calmed down after a couple of months. For a while it was like dreaming on acid!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
When I first started taking melatonin I had wild dreams, and I have wild dreams anyway! lol It calmed down after a couple of months. For a while it was like dreaming on acid!
Like dreaming on acid!!! Now you are scarring me. I don't like dreams when they seem so real. Kind of freaks me out to be honest. So melatonin must put you in a deep sleep. That can be good.

I normally will take 3mg or a half of 3mg. I know whimpy whimpy whimpy.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Melatonin only works at first,and for those popping ourselves full of them, (I am too) beware what we are doing is shutting our bodies natural production down and compensating with a supplement. It is NOT really that dangerous and the production is low in most of us anyway after 25 and also for those of us with sleep issues. I have tried every sleep aid from ambien, ambien cr, lunesta (which is a reworked version of an old drug called Imovane in Europe) and even all the newer ones. NOTHING works for me like 50mg benadryl and 6mg melatonin. The benadryl gets me to sleep (you can get the diphenhydramine generic pharmacy or supermarket brands) and the melatonin ensures a quality of sleep.

Sweet dreams!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Benadryl is hit and miss for me and when it "hits" I have a hangover when I wake up! So far (3 years) melatonin has worked well. With my insomnia issues, I guess I'll keep pumping myself full of it!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
apparently melatonin also helps ur body make less melanin since ur skin doesnt make color when its dark and when its dark we make melatonin, you become paler which is great for people battling pigmentation issues.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Benadryl is hit and miss for me and when it "hits" I have a hangover when I wake up! So far (3 years) melatonin has worked well. With my insomnia issues, I guess I'll keep pumping myself full of it!
I just get a very dry mouth in the morning. It is strange it worked for me as the strongest prescriptions have all failed, it does not work alone, I need the melatonin/benadryl combo or it just is a miss. I may try a higher dose of the Melatonin. I also find it varies brand to brand one how good the potency is of the melatonin.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I just get a very dry mouth in the morning. It is strange it worked for me as the strongest prescriptions have all failed, it does not work alone, I need the melatonin/benadryl combo or it just is a miss. I may try a higher dose of the Melatonin. I also find it varies brand to brand one how good the potency is of the melatonin.
Yup. When Ambien did NOTHING for me, I tried every other prescription sleep aid there was, including some tricyclic antidepressants. ACK. Those were horrible. Doc even had me take 2 Ambiens- nada. No effect whatsoever. I've even resorted to taking night-time cold pills. Sometimes that helped. But I'd end up with rebound side effects like stuffiness and/or runny nose, so I quit that. Melatonin has been a life-saver for me. The time-release especially!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts