Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing microdermabrasion professionally, I'm on my fourth session. I'm trying to get rid of some dark brown spots/sun spots. My treatments were 2 weeks apart and now will go to once a month. I'm not sure how long it takes to get rid of these spots. Does it depend on the severity and how long I've had them? There are a couple that I've had for a few years and two small ones from over the summer. This has become quite the obsession for me as I can't stop looking in the mirror and focusing on them.

With the professional treatments now once a month - I've also decided that I would do an at home dermabrasion once a week alternating with an at home glycolic peel the next week. I am also using Vit C at bedtime everynight. Do you think that by doing this I can diminish these spots effectively. I do not want to use hq - have done so before and just made the spots darker. Your opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
i do microderm as well. Only 2 sessions so far and I am going to do at least 6 that are 2 weeks apart. I like the microderm. It is safe and effective but you shouldnt expect to see results as much as lasers or chemical peels...
Ask your asthet. to infuse some witening/brightening solution while performing the microderm. you will get better results!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
it depends on how deep the spots are. have you tried skin peels? microdermbrason doesnt really remove that much skin
Microdermabrasion can go pretty deep. It depends on the intensity set by the operator and the model of machine that it is.

And...what exactly is a skin peel? Sounds painful...unless you're refering to a glycolic peel, which doesn't go as deep as micro can anyways.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Also, I don't see how they can infuse a whitening substance to the crystals during micro since they need to stay dry in order for the machine not to clog up. You can definately try it after a micro session, but I really doubt anything's going to get infused.

I found that for me, Micro was more effective than glycolic of AHA peels. Lasers have their place as well, but they're not always the best path to take.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Just a real basic question about this since this topic is new to me. I have been reading through the posts and note that several folks have said that they do microdermabrasion at home. What exactly does this mean? Do you use one of those special machines or some sort of potion/scrub? Can you give some suggestions (product, frequency) on either one? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hi! Could you please clarify - what exactly did she do? Did she have something done professionally? Or did she use a home process of some sort? I would really like to learn more about this. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Microdermabrasion at home is garbage. You buy a little crappy machine that runs on two double AA batteries and then use their "crystals" to scrub your face. This is not, by any means nearly as intense as a professional session. To me, it shouldn't even be called microdermabrasion as it's nothing more than a light exfoliation. I tried it once, and I threw it away it was so crappy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi! Could you please clarify - what exactly did she do? Did she have something done professionally? Or did she use a home process of some sort? I would really like to learn more about this. Thanks for your help.
The one I used is from Neostrata it's a scrub & solution that you apply to your face and massage with your fingers for two minutes. You then wash it off and moisturize with the cream that comes with it - it locks in the benefits of the microdermabrasion. Neostrata also has a glycolic peel it's a solution that you apply to your face and wash off after 20 minutes. These can only be done once a week. I've tried those little hand held machines a couple of years ago and Freddy is right they are a waste of money.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I don't see how they can infuse a whitening substance to the crystals during micro since they need to stay dry in order for the machine not to clog up. You can definately try it after a micro session, but I really doubt anything's going to get infused.

I found that for me, Micro was more effective than glycolic of AHA peels. Lasers have their place as well, but they're not always the best path to take.
Where I go they use DiamondTome which is a crystal free microdermabrasion system that uses natural diamond wands instead of abrasive particles for skin resurfacing.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Freddy!
My operator does infuse a brightening solution while performing the microderm!
It's a new machine and doesn't go dry!!! It's the microderm-peel new tech. as far as I know. I swear, I have done it twice already and it's very good!!!
I love it WAY better than a traditional microderm.!!!!!
Check it out !!! I didn't make it up, I really did it and I paid for 6 session so I will post after I am done to let you know if I am happy. So far, only 1 treatment I can see that my spots are slightly lighter. Nothing dramatic of course but I can see that it's going to be effective down the road..

by the way, since you have good knowledge, have you heard about the Spectra peel laser for spots?? they use it at the same spa that I go and the nurse HIGHLY recommended to do that, saying that it;s the ONLY effective laser for spots!!! What do you know about it?

Dandy

·
Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely agree with DandyLady, when it comes to pigmentation, lasers are they way to go. As an esthetician and one who has battled with pigment for many years, the one thing that gave me the best long lasting results is laser. You have to be careful with over exfoilation. The skin has natural defenses and if it feels to under attack it will protect itself by producing more melanin (pigment). If you overdo it, you may end up with more pigment. Thats why HQ, does not work and causes worse conditions in the end. Micro is great and peels are great, they will take longer and depending on the severity of the pigment, may only have minimal results. See a derma or plastic surgeon about laser. It may be expensive, but add up what your paying for peels and micro and it may actually be cheaper

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
too many treatments can damage your skin leaving it too thin & vulnerable to aging & the sun. Please do not overdo it. Perhaos you need a spot treatment cream to targe the darkened spots only rather than tampering with the rest of your skin that is undamaged.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It is amazing how we are all so different skin type to skin type.

Professional Microdermabrasions and glycolic peels did not help my hyper-pigmentation and, in fact, I believe they helped age my skin. It's been two years now...since my last prof. procedure. I went to two different professionals really believing I would get results after they talked up their procedure but in the end I was so disappointed. My skin took several months to heal and I was miserable.

For Hyper-pigmentation it seems like the only thing that has worked for me is time, my clarisonic brush for gentle daily exfoliation, and preventative topical treatments. But truly, everyone is different!!! The brush also REALLY slowed my acne down with the help of a good salicylic wash giving my spots a chance to exfoliate over time and heal.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'll be completely honest, I don't use Microdermabrasion for the removal of spots. Luckily my tanned skin and lack of sun exposure doesn't make this necessary. You could try IPL for spot removal though. I'm really interested in seeing this Microdermabrasion that isn't dry. I have never heard of it.

Being even more honest,

I've experienced, seen, and heard of even expensive procedures not doing much work on skin ailments and if anything have adverse effects on the skin - that goes for both Microdermabrasion at the spa, and professional laser treatments from a board certified cosmetic surgeon/dermatologist, in other words BUYER BEWARE! Dragonlilly I know how frustrating it can be to shell out a lot of cash with high ambitions that a procedure will work only for it to make skin worse. It's quite frustrating, to the point that I've contemplated a few law suits in the process. LOL

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for your honesty, Freddy!

After 30 years my skin and I are beginning to build a trusting relationship with each other. No body knows her better than me. I have recently realized that it has become a hobby for me. However, your insights have particularly been invaluable to us. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a coarse of diamond dermabrasion to try and help with my pigment and the costs soon mounted up.It sounds reasonably priced per session till they reccommend a course of 10.It was pampering and thourough and left my skin fairly soft and clean but really didn't help the marks.I had just as good results if not better with a tub of the philosophy microdelivery peel scrub.Sometimes a laser is the only way to go if the marks are not superficial.IPL is good on sunspots but other lasers are better designed for deeper or hormonal pigment.Good luck.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I've tried the Neo Strats product that sky1234 used too & I liked the results. I did find it a little strong for a home use product so I went to an esthetician for a microdermabrasion treatment. I went for 2 sessions & I really noticed a difference on my neck that endired to this day (about 1 year or so later). I am leery about the long term effects of strong acisd products around the eyes (these products are too new for any loght term studies to emerge) & I do not want to get one result (lighter skin) BUT create another problem: too thin aged hypersensitive skin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Microderm works great for me! I did a series of six and now go back every month or so but I see great results. I have tried the at home stuff in the past and those really are a waste of money. They just don't go deep enough.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts