Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last decade, I've been a devoted mineral make-up user. I used Bare Minerals for years. As I have aged and developed more sun spots all over my face, I wanted more coverage so I have switched to Lancome mineral make-up and mineral finishing powder. I have read a few posts on this forum pertaining to Laura Mercier mineral foundation and also another one from Australia that is $65. I was really tempted to buy and try the Laura Mercier. I wanted to ask all experienced mineral powder foundation users what brand they have found to be best for good coverage but without an overly powdery look? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. Lisa.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
For the last decade, I've been a devoted mineral make-up user. I used Bare Minerals for years. As I have aged and developed more sun spots all over my face, I wanted more coverage so I have switched to Lancome mineral make-up and mineral finishing powder. I have read a few posts on this forum pertaining to Laura Mercier mineral foundation and also another one from Australia that is $65. I was really tempted to buy and try the Laura Mercier. I wanted to ask all experienced mineral powder foundation users what brand they have found to be best for good coverage but without an overly powdery look? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks. Lisa.
I like Laura Mercier regular foundation over their mineral. I don't mineral makeup much because I feel it accentuates the fine lines a bit too much for me. I like more of a dewy kind of look.

Another good foundation to try is Dior Nude. Leaves a great finish.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a mineral makeup user as well and I currently use Everyday Minerals. They have a very comprehensive color selection which could be overwhelming but the ladies at the message boards are very helpful with recommendations.

They also offer various formulations for their foundations: original glow, semi-matte, matte, and intensive. I use intensive and it has great coverage, lasts all day, and doesn't give me that cakey or powdery look.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Smashbox Halo is the BEST!!!!!! I ditched B.E. foundation for SH. It can give you a light or a heavier coverage w/o looking cakey at all! Muah to SH! EDM is great for some, but I have tried samples of all the foundations and it just doesn't cut it for me. :/ I still love B.E. foundations (have 3 jars still) but I always reach for SH since the first of this year, and it lasts a long time!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to all who have replied. I located the website for Smashbox and now want to order their liquid foundation, mineral setting powder, primer, oh... and of course, the application brush. Given that I am trying to cut back on my spending, I decided that I will use up my remaining Lancome mineral makeup and then replace it with Smashbox. It says on their website that you can use their lightweight liquid foundation and then the mineral powder on top of that or fuller coverage. I deal with melasma and also a bit of acne. The melesma is now under control following 4 facial peels, but the acne....tougher. It's only on the chin right now. Given these problems, I tend to like a fuller coverage despite the fact that a lot of beauty-product saleswomen tend to discourage it ("oh honey, you want to look young and "natural', not all made up"). Of course I don't want to look "natural". If I did, the cost would be $0.00.

·
Registered
881 Posts
^ ha thats for sure

iv been using physicals formula also. very sheer feeling, i really forget im wearing it..its sooo light and so far its been really good to my skin.

im deff going to have to check out smashbox's halo mineral powder..time to go sampleinggggggg =)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Caligirl wrote: " Of course I don't want to look "natural" if I did the cost would be $0.00".

My sentiments exactly! Why would you want to spend a fortune on makeup to only look natural? That's probably fine if you're a teenager but most women would benefit from looking made up. That's one of the reasons I can't stand when professional makeup artists start talking about tinted moisturizers (in lieu of foundation).
They don't cover anything and make you look washed out. I'm thinking of buying a mineral foundation this week and it will probably be Smashbox. I've used Bare Minerals under my eyes and forehead and I'm prety happy with it but the glow is a bit much for me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by

Daniel Thompson Mineral Make Up Collection is:

* 10 times safer on the skin than traditional make up formulas
* Water resistant for up to 80 minutes with no chemical waterproofing agents added
* Formulas are healing, anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial
* Can be applied after a facial, chemical peel or cosmetic procedure
* 1/10th the amount of a Daniel Thompson Beauty product offers the same coverage & color when compared to traditional make up
* Moisturizing- No streaks, flakes, shine, or pore enhancement

Has anyone tried or heard of this line??? Is it just more of the same or is this one different. I am interested in the claim that I bolded. Right after a chemical peel??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am unfamiliar with that line but I do know Everyday Minerals, I love love love them : ) Great Selection of products and they are all natural

·
Registered
192 Posts
i'm using Lucy mineral make-up these days. everyday i'm finding it better. today i applied it on top of my liquid foundation and suncream and after a while i looked very fresh but hardly felt i was wearing anything.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like Derma-Luxe. Great coverage, "built-in" concealer, cream-powder, easy to blend.Just perfect.Plus, it cost only $26.By the way, you can try ADN Vegetal Cellular Radiance Serum Age Spot Diffuser by Yves Rocher. It might help and you won't have to cover up that much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again to all who have replied. I bought the Smashbox Halo mineral powder and couldn't be happier. Under this I use a thin layer of their liquid foundation mixed with a highlighting cream mainly over my uneven tone areas. The coverage lasts all day and it does not give that super powdery look. I also LOVE the Smashbox primer. This cannot be beat as well.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Thanks again to all who have replied. I bought the Smashbox Halo mineral powder and couldn't be happier. Under this I use a thin layer of their liquid foundation mixed with a highlighting cream mainly over my uneven tone areas. The coverage lasts all day and it does not give that super powdery look. I also LOVE the Smashbox primer. This cannot be beat as well.
I used Smashbox primer for a while and switched to Monistat Anti-Chafing gel. Pretty much the same ingredients! I used the primer with dermaxyl, but I have moisturizers and serums with the dermaxyl, so I quit paying for Smashbox primer and switched to a $5 tube of Monistat "Primer"!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts