Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am having a problem finding a good moisturizer that actually does the job. I was using a Murad (Skin Perfecting Lotion)

I actually went out and bought Jojoba Oil and been putting it on at night. My skin still feels dry. I wash my fash with a Neutrogena Cleanser and a Dermalogica Cleanser which don't really dry out my skin...so idk.

I plan on buying Green Cream to put on at night before my moisturizer (is that correct?)

So, can anyone help something that works good but doesnt have alot of checmicals in there as well?

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Really you could use the Green Cream and wait about 20-30 minutes and see if you feel like you need a moisturizer on top of it. It is pretty moisturizing on it's own. If you feel you need more, then add jojoba on top.

I have used the B5 gel before. You could make your own for a whole lot cheaper.

Here are the ingredients-
Water, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pantothenic Acid, and Phenoxyethanol

Personally, I think jojoba oil is more moisturizing than the B5.

You know another cream you might try is this, I use it and it has several great oils in it.
Skin Actives Scientific : Canvas Base Cream

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have used Skinceuticals B5 Gel and I don't find it does much in the way of moisturizing. I was using the B5 Gel with the CE Ferulic and Phloretin CF antioxidant serums. However, for just moisturizing, I find Skinceuticals Emollience to be pretty good.

Since I bought my microfiber cleansing cloth at NCN Professional Skincare, I got a few samples of Nanci's products. I have been trying the 20% Matrixyl 3000 Serum along with the Botox Alternative and it has some good moisturizing effects. The Bio-Active Night Repair Cream is supposed to be great and I'm trying it next.

I have dry skin and I have tried so many different skincare lines and products to try and combat my dry skin. The antiaging regimen recommended is using a Vit. C antioxidant serum in the morning followed by an effective sunscreen and then using a retinoid (Retin A) product in the evening, but this regimen causes my skin to be even drier. So therefore I end up using a moisturizer to combat dryness from the Retin A and the Vit. C serum.

Carolyn

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
I have used Skinceuticals B5 Gel and I don't find it does much in the way of moisturizing. I was using the B5 Gel with the CE Ferulic and Phloretin CF antioxidant serums. However, for just moisturizing, I find Skinceuticals Emollience to be pretty good.

Since I bought my microfiber cleansing cloth at NCN Professional Skincare, I got a few samples of Nanci's products. I have been trying the 20% Matrixyl 3000 Serum along with the Botox Alternative and it has some good moisturizing effects. The Bio-Active Night Repair Cream is supposed to be great and I'm trying it next.

I have dry skin and I have tried so many different skincare lines and products to try and combat my dry skin. The antiaging regimen recommended is using a Vit. C antioxidant serum in the morning followed by an effective sunscreen and then using a retinoid (Retin A) product in the evening, but this regimen causes my skin to be even drier. So therefore I end up using a moisturizer to combat dryness from the Retin A and the Vit. C serum.

Carolyn
Try the canvas base at skinactives, its great. Also, if you like certain moisturizers but you find they aren't moisturizing enough add a few drops of an oil like jojoba or avocado oil to them. It helps a ton for those dry skin areas.

I usually take Sundays off from most products and use nothing but the canvas base, sometimes just plain jojoba, just depends on my skin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try the canvas base at skinactives, its great. Also, if you like certain moisturizers but you find they aren't moisturizing enough add a few drops of an oil like jojoba or avocado oil to them. It helps a ton for those dry skin areas.

I usually take Sundays off from most products and use nothing but the canvas base, sometimes just plain jojoba, just depends on my skin.
I agree gymrat...the canvas base at skinactives is great. Also love the anti aging creams. The New England winters cause my skin to get super dry and I can't wait to try the canvas base with avocado oil. Right now the jojoba oil does the trick for me. I add a few drops to the canvas base...and I too take a day off from my daily regime. I find that my skin responds better when I confuse it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Gymrat and Toni for recommending Skinactives' canvas base cream. I spent quite a bit of time on their website reading about all the different products and actives and will be placing an order soon. Have you or anyone on this forum used their CHAS Serum?

Thanks,
Carolyn

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Jojoba Oil is a good oil for use on oily skin in order to make it less oily. This is probably why your skin feels dry.

Choose another moisturiser. Try Bio Oil, Virgin Olive Oil or Wheatgerm Oil.

Wheatgerm Oil is our richest natural source of vitamin E. This oil can be added to skin creams. It acts as a natural preservative and it's vitamin E content prevents the cream going off.

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You know another cream you might try is this, I use it and it has several great oils in it.
Skin Actives Scientific : Canvas Base Cream[/QUOTE]

I am looking for a good moisturizer for daytime that has the sunscreen in it.I am looking into some of the skinactives formulas, but have also considered xtreme life and revision products. The revision products are the only ones that have the sunscreen in their formulas. Do any of you have any pointers as to avoid a two step process and one that has the sunscreen in their formula? Have any of you tried adding sunscreen to your formulas?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Im set with buying some gream cream and some Wheatgerm Oil or Vitamin E oil correct?

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Skin Actives Scientific : Canvas Base Cream
I am looking for a good moisturizer for daytime that has the sunscreen in it.I am looking into some of the skinactives formulas, but have also considered xtreme life and revision products. The revision products are the only ones that have the sunscreen in their formulas. Do any of you have any pointers as to avoid a two step process and one that has the sunscreen in their formula? Have any of you tried adding sunscreen to your formulas?
[/QUOTE]

Sophie you changed your avatar, threw me off until I looked at the name-

You could always just get a good sunscreen and skip the moisturizer step. Use your sunscreen as your moisturizer. I do this often.

I tend to use my moisturizer at night, if needed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thanks Gymrat, didn't mean to throw you off!
Any thoughts on moisturizers for night time use for oily skin? I was thinking of trying the creams on the Skinactive site, such as dream cream. Would that be too rich for oily skin, but help fight some of the peelies that I am having due to the retin A?

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
So Im set with buying some gream cream and some Wheatgerm Oil or Vitamin E oil correct?
You could use Wheatgerm. You could also try avocado oil if you need more hydration.

Wheatgerm is a natural source of vitamin E. The oils themselves are completely different. As is Avocado oil. Here is a little info on them, read and pick what you think would work best for you.

Wheat Germ Oil
Method of extraction: Cold Pressed/Unrefined
This ultra rich, unrefined Wheat Germ oil is a great ingredient high in natural source Vitamin E, A, D, proteins, Lecithin, and Squalene. Wheat germ has been applied externally for numerous irritations including roughness of the skin, cracking, chaffing and many crafters of cosmetics use it successfully to help reverse the effects of wrinkling. The first ingredient in quality skin care products.

Vitamin E Oil
(Mixed Tocopherols from GMO free Soy or Sunflower sources)
Method of extraction: Vacuum Distillation/Unrefined
A natural Vitamin E oil obtained by vacuum distillation of vegetable fats. Great for preventing rancidity in cosmetics and it acts as an anti-oxidant in creams, lotions, baby products, cosmetics and more. Recent studies have suggested that Vitamin E oil assists in maintaining a healthy heart and blood vessels.

Avocado Oil
This ultra rich organic oil is a delightful treasure containing high amounts of Vitamin A, B1, B2, D, and E. Also contains amino acids, sterols, pantothenic acid, lecithin, and other essential fatty acids. Highly prized to those with skin problems such as eczema, psoriasis, and other skin ailments and our variety makes a lovely salad oil for ddressings and condiments. Highly recommended to those with sensitive skin, problem skin and other irritations that require vitamin rich oil.

This info was taken from Carrier and Vegetable Oils

·
Registered
221 Posts
So I am having a problem finding a good moisturizer that actually does the job. I was using a Murad (Skin Perfecting Lotion)

I actually went out and bought Jojoba Oil and been putting it on at night. My skin still feels dry. I wash my fash with a Neutrogena Cleanser and a Dermalogica Cleanser which don't really dry out my skin...so idk.

I plan on buying Green Cream to put on at night before my moisturizer (is that correct?)

So, can anyone help something that works good but doesnt have alot of checmicals in there as well?
Try cleansing with oil instead of the Neutrogena some of these cleansers strip the natural oils from the skin. Use any oil you want although many people use castor oil, massage it into your face and remove with a warm wet washcloth. Pat your face dry then spray with rosewater or just plain water and apply your moisturizer.

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Thanks Gymrat, didn't mean to throw you off!
Any thoughts on moisturizers for night time use for oily skin? I was thinking of trying the creams on the Skinactive site, such as dream cream. Would that be too rich for oily skin, but help fight some of the peelies that I am having due to the retin A?
Dream cream, YES, in my opinion too rich for those with oily skin. The coffee cream is a great one. Skin Actives Scientific : Coffee Fruit Cream

I don't know if you have tried any oils but a few you might consider are sweet almond, grapeseed oil and jojoba. Jojoba is my favorite, but the other two are very good as well. Grapeseed is light but yet moisturizing, it might work great with your skin type.

I think canvas base and dream cream both would be too rich for oily skin. Go for one of their lighter ones. The Anti-aging and Coffee cream are both nice and light, but yet very good.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Dream cream, YES, in my opinion too rich for those with oily skin. The coffee cream is a great one. Skin Actives Scientific : Coffee Fruit Cream

I don't know if you have tried any oils but a few you might consider are sweet almond, grapeseed oil and jojoba. Jojoba is my favorite, but the other two are very good as well. Grapeseed is light but yet moisturizing, it might work great with your skin type.

I think canvas base and dream cream both would be too rich for oily skin. Go for one of their lighter ones. The Anti-aging and Coffee cream are both nice and light, but yet very good.
Gosh Gymrat, how did I miss this post? Been waiting on your reply and looked tonight and noticed that you already replied some time ago,
Anyway, thanks for the advice about the dream cream, I was right ready to order this! I may try the oils since I have these on hand, I'm just scared that my last acne flareup was one of these oils? I used the sweet almond oil one night, the grapeseed oil on another occasion and my skin broke out terrible. I'm not sure whether it was due to the oils or the fact that I switched my cleanser from Arbonne creamy cleanser to Neutrogena deep clean. I am finally getting straightened out so I don't want to do anything to set my "breakouts" back in motion. The reason I am wanting a moisturizer is because my skin is peeling from the retin-A usage. Any more suggestions for a night time moisturizer for oily skin would be great!

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Gosh Gymrat, how did I miss this post? Been waiting on your reply and looked tonight and noticed that you already replied some time ago,
Anyway, thanks for the advice about the dream cream, I was right ready to order this! I may try the oils since I have these on hand, I'm just scared that my last acne flareup was one of these oils? I used the sweet almond oil one night, the grapeseed oil on another occasion and my skin broke out terrible. I'm not sure whether it was due to the oils or the fact that I switched my cleanser from Arbonne creamy cleanser to Neutrogena deep clean. I am finally getting straightened out so I don't want to do anything to set my "breakouts" back in motion. The reason I am wanting a moisturizer is because my skin is peeling from the retin-A usage. Any more suggestions for a night time moisturizer for oily skin would be great!
Sophie, have you looked at this cream? It is for night time use. You might kill 2 birds with 1 stone with using it. Helps acne plus is a moisturizer.
Skin Actives Scientific : Acne Control Cream with T-Zone Serum and ZitEnder

1 - 20 of 28 Posts