Skin Care Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! The mono 20% I orderd from **************** arrived yesterday. It comes in a jar & it is compounded to be spreadable. As recommended by Vikki whats her name, I use it once/day on damp post shower skin. there's a 'glow' about my skin but I don't know at this early stage whether it is my imagination or an actual result. If I need to change foundations colours soon, It'll be proof. So far, there's no more drying & exfoliation than with the tretinoin 0.1% & HQ 4%. Bear in mind, though, that I've only applied the stuff 3 times so far. The company has tinted it a pink colour & it is unscented. If I begin to fade dramatically, you guys'll be the first to know.

Where I think I'm seeing a difference from the mono is around the edges of my hands & feet where there used to be (before I began lightening in Jan) a marked (ugly) dark pigment line. The other routine I was using had softened it considerably. It now blends sofly from the palm to the back of my hand: no more ugly line. My knees, knuckles & elbows are fading considerably too. this is great because the skin there is thicker so it takes longer to be affected by lightening creams.

Just thought I'd share the info. Has anyone else out there lightened with the mono 20%? I know that there are higher concentrations, but I don't want to risk it before I'm sure about the safety of the lower dose. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Congratulations on your favorable results!

I know that monobenzone and hydroquinone are different but related chemicals. Have you (or anyone on the site) seen a chart that shows equivalences - i.e., x% monobenzone = y% hydroquinone? Just curious - there must be something that would give folks an idea of where to start (or stop).

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nireckca!
Thanks for the encouragement. You ask a good question. The vendor's site doesn't offer any such info. I did speak to someone there who said that the reason mono works one way in humans (removing melanin) & another in animals (producing more melanin) is not understood. While mono is derived from HQ, it is different in its effect (HQ very temporary, mono can be permanent). There is no equivalency chart (no one online has one) is apparently because the effects can vary enormously from one person to another. A chart would be misleading. From what I've read, for mono, even in cases of severe vitiligo (50% or more) 20% is the strength prescribed (benoquin cream). My assumption is that anything higher could remove more than melanin (like your face!). I intend to stick to 20% & go no higher in percentage. Right now, I'm using it once per day on damp skin. If I tolerate that well for a while with no side effects, I'll try slowly increasing it to 2x/day by using it once on one day, then twice on the next. I'll alternate like that for a while. I know that mono is not something to play with & I have done much research before trying this. As for HQ, the higest % I have seen in a legitimate medical cream is 10%. Never more than that. Unscrupulous compounding pharmacies will prepare much higher % ages for customers but why take such a crazy risk? I prefer to be cautious.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by ondine

I intend to stick to 20% & go no higher in percentage. Right now, I'm using it once per day on damp skin. If I tolerate that well for a while with no side effects, I'll try slowly increasing it to 2x/day by using it once on one day, then twice on the next. I'll alternate like that for a while.

Aaaaahhhh, yes. Increase the frequency of application and not the concentration. That makes alot of sense to me, too.

Quote: Originally Posted by

As for HQ, the higest % I have seen in a legitimate medical cream is 10%. Never more than that. Unscrupulous compounding pharmacies will prepare much higher % ages for customers but why take such a crazy risk? I prefer to be cautious.

Yes, I have no idea how/why that site (********* - you know which one here in TO!) can sell HQ 100% - what in the world are folks doing with it - maybe compounding their own products of lower concentration, I hope anyway.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is where I ordered the mono 20%. Since the company is here in Canada & I paid using paypal, if there's anything untoward (like the product is not what they claim etc.) Getting refunded or reporting them would not be difficult. Before I ordered, I checked them out online. Many chat boards claimed that they were taking people's money & not shipping them products then giving them a hard time when they tried to get a refund. When I called them, they didn't even try to sell me anything. They just gave me the info I wanted. I did order & the shipment arrived very quickly. If the stuff turns out to be ineffective, I've found another source.

As I mentioned, it is too soon to say whether or not it is working or if the results are just a continuation of the lightening I began in Jan. I'll be watching closely for any changes.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HI all! The mono from the famed Ontario source, for reasons I cannot quite explain, has me suspicious. Perhaps it is the odorlessness (I've smelled mono 20% before as I know someone with vitiligo) , 'mousse-like- texture and pink colour. I am wondering if whatever they add to the cream to eliminate the normal smell, give it that texture or tint has reduced or altered its potency.

I am not accusing them of fraud...yet. I will use this 4 oz jar up BUT I have ordered from another site that sells the mono 20% in the regular tubes as is the way Benoquin is sold. The place I ordered from requires you to order 5 tubes at a time, but since I'm lightening my entire body, I'll need them. The price is good considering how it breaks down per tube, but I will not share the source until I'm 100% certain that what I receive from them is the real thing & that it is working properly. Once I am sure (like I am 100% sure with the tretinoin/HQ4 blend's effectiveness) I will let everyone know.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Ondine, there is another bleaching product called dermovate, i dont know if you have ever heard about it, arab countries like saudi arabia makes it, its very effective for bleaching. My aunt used it for years and she has bleached effectively with no strange effects other than getting sun burn a few times, as you know people didnt really care about sunscreen until recent years. Also I will suggest to you not to use any of these strong products like the mono 20on your face at all until weeks of application to your body with no side effect. I received my HQ 4% and retina 1% but i didn't tolerate the retin-a 0.05% i was using so i stopped it, it literally gave me burnt marks so I'm not going to use the retin-a 1% for a while. I think part of it was my fault though cos i used it without reading the instruction, i was applying immediately after washing my face. I'll probably find something like loreal that has minimal retin-a and use that for starters. As for the HQ 4%, I have only used that for 2 days now and because I am not really dark skin to begin with, I'm in between light and dark, closer to light, I can't really tell if its working yet, I also am not doing my entire body, just my face, butt, knuckes and feet, all other parts of my skin are much lighter. I'll keep you posted and thanks for all informative postings. My regimen for now is the Likas papaya soap and Hq4%, day and night

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi TTEE,

BURNS
Retin A is definitely not for you then. Like with anything, some people tolerate it well, others do not. I cannot use the Dove bodywahs BUT I have no trouble from the tretinoin 0.1%. Go figure
. You are wise to approach slowly. With Retin A, you need to wait a good 20 mins after drying your skin B4 applying it. Then, you take a tiny amt only & smooth it on. Some people glop it all over & then, yes, it'll burn like crazy.

So far, after 4 days of mono 20% 1x/day, the only thing I've noticed is some dryness (easily fixed by olive oil). Many people use the HQ4% to spot lighten darker areas like the knuckles, elbows & knees etc. that are often darker. In Jan, Before I began lightening, my knuckles were darker, my knees were darker & so were the backs of my heels. NO MORE! that was one of the 1st things I noticed. With the HQ, you'll have to use ot forever to maintain results. just 3 times/week + a good sunscreen ought to maximize results.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No. I am going by foundation colour changes. THis is accurate & objective. The photos I took never looked quite like the colour I actually was. Some looked much darker while others looked much lighter. To recap, B4 lightening, I was using Maybelline Dream Matte mousse in Dark 2. I now use Medium 4 as the Dark 0 became to dark.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys! I just ompleted my 1st week of the mono 20% from the Ontario source. So far, I can definitely say that it causes dryness! As for lightening, one week is not enough time to say anything for certain. I have not darkened at all & there is no blotchiness or unevenness. I have ordered the tubes of benoquin from another source as I've read too many skeptical accounts from this company & I do not want to wait until something does go wrong.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys! I''ve got something new. The mono 20% arrived from the other source I found. As soon as I looked at it, I knew that THIS was the real thing. I've seen & handled the real benoquin B4 so I recognized it immediately. I've discarded the pink stuff from the Ontario source **************** . For the past 3 days, I've been using the mono 20% from the new source 2x/day on damp skin. While the cream comes in a 5 pack so it isn't cheap, using it on damp skin makes a little spread like crazy making it go a long way. It is way too soon to make crazy claims about lightening, but I know my skin is behaving the way it should according to information about mono 20%. The manufacturer has been more than accessible answering my emails immediately, picking up the phone the instant I call. They seem legit. There is the option of paying with Paypal so your info remains private & getting refunded is easy.

After about 4 weeks, when I can definitely attest to getting good results, I'll share the source. Right now, I'm getting the dryness & flaking off of dead skin (similar to what happens with Tretinoin 0.1%). So far, no cracking, discolouration or any other troubling side effects. Significant depigmentation should take about 4-6 months (& it is permanent! so in the long run, it is cheaper than HQ). Since I began in late April, by late Sept. or Oct., the goal will be reached! Hopefully, this will give others here yet another alternative to try. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since I did not have their product analyzed by a lab, it would be unfair to accuse them. Suffice it to say that the texture wasn't right & the colour wasn't right & I felt suspicious. In all fairness, the stuff may just be legit but just in a format I'm unfamiliar with. Come to think of it., I WILL go get it checked. If it turns out to be the real thing, I'll let everyone know since, although it isn't cheap, it is much less expensive than the new source I am using.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Regarding the monobenzone supplier from Ontario Canada, I ordered from them and never got the product. When I emailed them, they never replied to my email. I called them and they never answered or replied to my message. Luckily, I paid by PayPal and complained to them. Turns out they provided a shipping order but no pick up was made by the shipper, so I got my money back. Beware if you place an order from them. Seems like a scam to me.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They did deliver to me & promptly too. If you are outside of Canada, it is likely that customs seized your package. You do well to pay using Paypal only since they take care of disputes effectively.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again! I finally received my 2nd order of mono 20% from f a i r n g l o w d o t c o m.
I'd not allowed enough time for the new shipment to arrive & ran out of mono as a result last Thu. For those of you using this source, allow 2 weeks for it to arrive. When you are finishing your 3rd of the 5 containers, reorder so you don't get stuck. I reordered after ending container 4. To bridge the gap, I used my retin A/ HQ4% blend. This prevented any back-sliding. Hopefully, at the end of month 2, there will be much progress to report.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I'm midway through month 2 using mono. So far, not a single one of the horror stories you hear about has manifested: no terrible rashes, burns, disfiguring blotches...I think the keys with this cream (a chalky off-white 'paste') are:

1. applying it on wet skin only
2. avoiding the sun & using sunblock religiously
3. using no higher than 20% concentration
4. using it no more than twice per day

My source (& my research) tells me that it'll really take approx 4 months to see 'dramatic' results. With HQ, the change is apparent more quickly as HQ reduces the melanin beign produced thus revealing lighter & lighter skin as the dark skin sloughs off theough regular exfoliation. Mono, on the other hand, prevents the production of melanin. It takes more time. I am very curious to see what the results will be in 2 more months. The challenge now is avoiding the sun. Fortunately, mother nature has sent many overcast days my way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.