Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I started using Monobenzone 20% cream one month ago and I'd really appreciate some advice from people on here that have experience with it.

*I'd also like to mention that I have done my research well and have been thinking about using this for the past 7 years. I know that it can be a bumpy road until I achieve depigmentation but I've made my peace with that. I'm tan colour (Italian) and my goal is to look pale white.*

I have the actual cream prescribed by a dermatologist and have it made at a pharmacy in England so I know that I am using the real thing. I apply it 2-3 times a day.

I'm on Day 29 now and so far I haven't seen any lightening. In fact, my partner says that I look like I've had a tan. I've read somewhere that Monobenzone initially causes overproduction of melanin as your immune system is trying to fight the drug. Has anyone else initially darkened?

I know it must be working because I had some stubborn hyper-pigmented spots on my back (from teenage acne) for the past 15 or so years and nothing could get rid of them but they now seem to have faded quite a bit and some actually disappeared altogether...

The doctor said it could take 1 to four months to achieve depigmentation but by the looks of it will take a lot longer... I am thinking of incorporating Retin A into my regime hopefully it will speed things up.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi guys

I started using Monobenzone 20% cream one month ago and I'd really appreciate some advice from people on here that have experience with it.

*I'd also like to mention that I have done my research well and have been thinking about using this for the past 7 years. I know that it can be a bumpy road until I achieve depigmentation but I've made my peace with that. I'm tan colour (Italian) and my goal is to look pale white.*

I have the actual cream prescribed by a dermatologist and have it made at a pharmacy in England so I know that I am using the real thing. I apply it 2-3 times a day.

I'm on Day 29 now and so far I haven't seen any lightening. In fact, my partner says that I look like I've had a tan. I've read somewhere that Monobenzone initially causes overproduction of melanin as your immune system is trying to fight the drug. Has anyone else initially darkened?

I know it must be working because I had some stubborn hyper-pigmented spots on my back (from teenage acne) for the past 15 or so years and nothing could get rid of them but they now seem to have faded quite a bit and some actually disappeared altogether...

The doctor said it could take 1 to four months to achieve depigmentation but by the looks of it will take a lot longer... I am thinking of incorporating Retin A into my regime hopefully it will speed things up.
Hi there!
welcome to SCT!
Nice to see someone who wants to depig here in the forum.
I am not a mono user, I use mequinol (I have no ways to have mono prescribed so...).
I am surprised that your skin is ok with 2 to 3 applycations a day.
Did you have the rash? normally after like 2 weeks mono users have a rash, this is the way is not recommend to apply on face (you will have your face deppigmented anyway do don't worry).

I researched a lot about depigmentation...
so what I read on the net is that:
1.if you have a rash, just stop using the cream from 1 week, and start again on other part of your body.
2.it is normal to have a rash.
3. you don't need to cover the whole body with the cream, you still will depig totally because mono works in a systemic way.
4. the inicial darkening is a good signal, the melanocyts are dying and get purged. Don't frick out.
5. You can have some freckles or some spots (small ones) that are darker than your normal color. Don't worry is just the melanocyts getting a lit crazy keep applying the cream, and they will go away.
6. your skin will peel, crack, etc, hold on and don't stop. You can use some soothing oil and keep the mono applycation juts once a day.
7. mixing mono with retin a will make the results come faster but please please don't use retin a more than once a day, mono is already terrible on skin (make your skin crack, bleed, etc), so with retin a will be worse. (maybe you can use retina a with mono on your legs for example don't use on thin and delicate skin.
8.Mono will depig you, but will take like 1 year or more for caucasians.

So.... keep up the work, don't stop and good luck!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there!
welcome to SCT!
Nice to see someone who wants to depig here in the forum.
I am not a mono user, I use mequinol (I have no ways to have mono prescribed so...).
I am surprised that your skin is ok with 2 to 3 applycations a day.
Did you have the rash? normally after like 2 weeks mono users have a rash, this is the way is not recommend to apply on face (you will have your face deppigmented anyway do don't worry).

I researched a lot about depigmentation...
so what I read on the net is that:
1.if you have a rash, just stop using the cream from 1 week, and start again on other part of your body.
2.it is normal to have a rash.
3. you don't need to cover the whole body with the cream, you still will depig totally because mono works in a systemic way.
4. the inicial darkening is a good signal, the melanocyts are dying and get purged. Don't frick out.
5. You can have some freckles or some spots (small ones) that are darker than your normal color. Don't worry is just the melanocyts getting a lit crazy keep applying the cream, and they will go away.
6. your skin will peel, crack, etc, hold on and don't stop. You can use some soothing oil and keep the mono applycation juts once a day.
7. mixing mono with retin a will make the results come faster but please please don't use retin a more than once a day, mono is already terrible on skin (make your skin crack, bleed, etc), so with retin a will be worse. (maybe you can use retina a with mono on your legs for example don't use on thin and delicate skin.
8.Mono will depig you, but will take like 1 year or more for caucasians.

So.... keep up the work, don't stop and good luck!!!
Hi Lunnah!

Rash, hmmm, I'm red and very itchy sometimes but nothing too serious (I don't have red pimples, it's just red patches). At first I couldn't apply it to my face as it burned like hell but since last week I've started applying it to my face too and it doesn't burn as much anymore.

Good that you mention the dark spots, I'm actually getting quite a few of these on my arms and chest area. They look like small black moles, not very attractive so I hope they go.

I'm getting some peeling but that's mainly where I also apply Retin A. For example, on my thighs and back as they are the darkest part of my body. When the skin peels the layer underneath is a slightly lighter colour.

Over the years I've read quite a few posts where people using mono get attacked for doing so. In my opinion, you're your own person and can become anything you want to so long as you're not hurting anybody else.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would never try monobenzone and depigmenting is a very exotic thing, but I wish you luck with it and hope that your blotchy phase passes quickly.

I'm curious, what will you tell people when you're in the blotchy phase? Will you say vitiligo? If you don't know already you can get whole-body makeup that covers it up. Black people with vitiligo use it and you can't tell at all they have it because the makeup is so good it can cover the white blotches completely. Obviously you won't need this much.

I'm also curious how your doctor is going along with a cosmetic change.

Not trying to offend I'm just really curious. I've used other forums where people were trying mono left right and centre, but the place was very suspicious.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would never try monobenzone and depigmenting is a very exotic thing, but I wish you luck with it and hope that your blotchy phase passes quickly.

I'm curious, what will you tell people when you're in the blotchy phase? Will you say vitiligo? If you don't know already you can get whole-body makeup that covers it up. Black people with vitiligo use it and you can't tell at all they have it because the makeup is so good it can cover the white blotches completely. Obviously you won't need this much.

Not trying to offend I'm just really curious. I've used other forums where people were trying mono left right and centre, but the place was very suspicious.
I think Monobenzone and depigmenting is not for everyone. I already have North European features so I wouldn't look weird with stark white skin.

Thanks for the make-up tip. I'm not too worried about what people will think in the meantime. If it comes to it I'll just say I have Vitiligo. But they might not even notice it; my skin is Fitzpatrick III and I want to go down to I. My doctor said that not everyone blotches, many people just lighten till eventually one day they're totally white.

I tried a few private dermatologists and let me tell you it hasn't been easy to find one that is okay with me doing this. Even the doctor that finally accepted to prescribe this medicine to me made me write a letter explaining exactly what I wanted and to specify that I know the risks.

Mono takes too long for me to also have to worry if the actual product I'm using is legit. I'd go crazy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote: Originally Posted by sss999
I have used Monobenzone 20% in past and I got nasty rash from it after about 1 month.I didn't get any skin lightening but I kept using it everyday and suddenly after a month,I got huge red rashes only on the places where I applied mono cream.Those rashes were so bad that I had to go to the doctor.I didn't tell the dermatologist what I used.I was diagnosed with Urticaria(hives) and I was prescribed cortisone injection and some anti allergy drugs.
I only took allergy drugs and didn't go for the injection.Anyway,I did recover from those painful and itchy rashes but the rashes left behind dark skin and white spots.I still have those white spots and it's been 3 years when I used Mono cream.
I don't have dark patches anymore but I do have the spots.
I am a caucasian also with olive skin and want to depigment my skin but I don't think mono is suitable for me.
I remember a pharmacist once told me that Hydroquinone 10% is similar to monobenzone if I want to depigment my skin.

You say that your doctor prescribed you monobenzone.
Do you have vitiligo?

Sorry to hear. I too sometimes get hives after applying the mono for the third time in one day but my doctor said this is normal and I shouldn't stop unless it gets painful. So far it's just a bit itchy and I'm happy to put up with it. My doctor did tell me that some people are allergic to monobenzone and perhaps you're one of those people.

Interesting that you got white spots after one month's use. So far no white spots, only my hyperpigmented spots are fading and the rest of my skin is getting darker which as @Lunnah said this is to be expected as the old pigment is coming to the surface.

I don't know much about hydroquinone so can't comment. I think I read somewhere that anything above 4% is dangerous.

No, I do not have vitiligo. The only logical explanation is that some doctors are more open-minded than others.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Hi Lunnah!

Rash, hmmm, I'm red and very itchy sometimes but nothing too serious (I don't have red pimples, it's just red patches). At first I couldn't apply it to my face as it burned like hell but since last week I've started applying it to my face too and it doesn't burn as much anymore.

Good that you mention the dark spots, I'm actually getting quite a few of these on my arms and chest area. They look like small black moles, not very attractive so I hope they go.

I'm getting some peeling but that's mainly where I also apply Retin A. For example, on my thighs and back as they are the darkest part of my body. When the skin peels the layer underneath is a slightly lighter colour.

Over the years I've read quite a few posts where people using mono get attacked for doing so. In my opinion, you're your own person and can become anything you want to so long as you're not hurting anybody else.
hi darling I am so happy that you are not getting the infamous rash, but if you do, just slow down. And I like you way of thinking. Agree 100%
Redness is normal.
About the dark spots I am using mequinol (not so strong as mono but still, can depig if used for long time -hope so lol), and I got freckle like (but really dark spots, not the red freckles) and they are gone now after 9 months (mind you I am not using mono unfortunatelly, just mequinol).
I read somewhere that if your face can deal with mequinol the best part to apply is the forehead, something about absortion, it is the place in the body where the skin absorbs better, after are the wrists.
so keep us posted, I am here for you....
I am also fitz 3 and now after mequinol I am like fitz 1 already... (look pic)
I will not mind going to mono route but as you stated this is something to do just if we have a good supplier (I don't).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by sss999
I have used Monobenzone 20% in past and I got nasty rash from it after about 1 month.I didn't get any skin lightening but I kept using it everyday and suddenly after a month,I got huge red rashes only on the places where I applied mono cream.Those rashes were so bad that I had to go to the doctor.I didn't tell the dermatologist what I used.I was diagnosed with Urticaria(hives) and I was prescribed cortisone injection and some anti allergy drugs.
I only took allergy drugs and didn't go for the injection.Anyway,I did recover from those painful and itchy rashes but the rashes left behind dark skin and white spots.I still have those white spots and it's been 3 years when I used Mono cream.
I don't have dark patches anymore but I do have the spots.
I am a caucasian also with olive skin and want to depigment my skin but I don't think mono is suitable for me.
I remember a pharmacist once told me that Hydroquinone 10% is similar to monobenzone if I want to depigment my skin.

You say that your doctor prescribed you monobenzone.
Do you have vitiligo?

darling I am so sorry about what happens to your skin... but don't go the Hydroquinone route, it is never going to depping you and long term use can be toxic.
after a while some people just get a kind of used and reach a plateau... so it is not possible to deppig at all.
maybe you can try mono at a low % for a white and go up slowly... take your time.
if you have a good source of it, try if is really what you want.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

maybe a am too old but in my opinion we just show our body outside out home for option.
I work outdors and even in sumer time I am always almost fully covered (just to avoid tans lol).
Nice pants (linen or veru light cotton), a beautiful tunic... some nice summer closed shoes....
and make up on face!!! for caucasians, some mac studio fix liquind or powder is more than enough for covering spots...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think Monobenzone and depigmenting is not for everyone. I already have North European features so I wouldn't look weird with stark white skin.

Thanks for the make-up tip. I'm not too worried about what people will think in the meantime. If it comes to it I'll just say I have Vitiligo. But they might not even notice it; my skin is Fitzpatrick III and I want to go down to I. My doctor said that not everyone blotches, many people just lighten till eventually one day they're totally white.

I tried a few private dermatologists and let me tell you it hasn't been easy to find one that is okay with me doing this. Even the doctor that finally accepted to prescribe this medicine to me made me write a letter explaining exactly what I wanted and to specify that I know the risks.

Mono takes too long for me to also have to worry if the actual product I'm using is legit. I'd go crazy.
Yes it definitely not for everyone, but I respect those who do want it, as long as they know what they're doing. I remember seeing a lot of people who were usng mono to LIGHTEN, not knowing that it only depigs.

I'm glad you found a doctor willing to help, it seems like your really want this and know what you're doing.

I've heard that people who depig end up as paper white, and they almost glow in the dark. It can look good on the right person, as could anything really.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Yes it definitely not for everyone, but I respect those who do want it, as long as they know what they're doing. I remember seeing a lot of people who were usng mono to LIGHTEN, not knowing that it only depigs.

I'm glad you found a doctor willing to help, it seems like your really want this and know what you're doing.

I've heard that people who depig end up as paper white, and they almost glow in the dark. It can look good on the right person, as could anything really.
I know depigmented people and they are not white white like paper, they are more like pink because of blood flow.
also, a lot of albinos take carotein pills to give some yellow undertone to skin...
so I think depends a lot on the kind of skin the person have.
normally fitz 3 people have thin, a little transparent skin, so depigmentation will be pinkish.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know depigmented people and they are not white white like paper, they are more like pink because of blood flow.
also, a lot of albinos take carotein pills to give some yellow undertone to skin...
so I think depends a lot on the kind of skin the person have.
normally fitz 3 people have thin, a little transparent skin, so depigmentation will be pinkish.
Alright, that's interesting. How do you know depigmented people though? It's really uncommon. I think?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Alright, that's interesting. How do you know depigmented people though? It's really uncommon. I think?
why so? lol people with albinism are depig people. You can see kids with albinist on classical music schools por example, or art school. I had music trainning for more than 10 years.
Albino kids can not do outdoor activities like sport, etc (because of sun), so most of parents just put them on the arts or music classes.
People with vitiligo are depigmented but just parcially. My uncle has arms and hands depigmented from vitiligo and it is not chalky white, it is more like pink.
So it is not that uncommon.
I even saw once a mono depigmented guy (he had a Paris trip with me as a guide, I already told SCT about it lol).
Maybe I am just special, I know a lot of different people lol.
The rule is the more different activities you do, and the more different contries you live, more diversity you will find on people.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunnah

Lunnah,

See picture below showing my black freckles. Is this what you're getting too? [Note one of them is a (raised) mole that I've had for years, the rest are new].

I'm getting these all over my body now....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Lunnah,

See picture below showing my black freckles. Is this what you're getting too? [Note one of them is a (raised) mole that I've had for years, the rest are new].

I'm getting these all over my body now....
Darling I have/had the same same same using mequinol (we are the same color btw - my mother is italian, father portuguese). they go away, firts they start to look more transparent, after they get a little red and go away.
I already posted about this saying looked the melanocyts were getting toguether for the final batlle lol. But we will win.
You are using a better/stronger chemical than me. For sure your freckles will go away faster.
"keep calm and apply mono"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Darling I have/had the same same same using mequinol (we are the same color btw - my mother is italian, father portuguese). they go away, firts they start to look more transparent, after they get a little red and go away.
I already posted about this saying looked the melanocyts were getting toguether for the final batlle lol. But we will win.
You are using a better/stronger chemical than me. For sure your freckles will go away faster.
"keep calm and apply mono"
Haha, let's hope I win the battle against these melanocytes!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lol you will...
sorry everybody about my typos my laptop is crazy and old half of keyboard is not working.
Lunnah, when did you start seeing results with Mequinol? I'm on Day 41 and haven't seen any 'lightening' changes yet. The reddening has subsided though my skin is still itchy every now and then. One thing that it has done is to get rid of the hyperpigmentation which I had between my thighs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol you will...
sorry everybody about my typos my laptop is crazy and old half of keyboard is not working.
I met up with a friend I hadn't seen for several weeks and she asked me if I just got back from a holiday. I'm that tanned. I think I went from fitz 3 to fitz 4 (latino) colour.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Lunnah, when did you start seeing results with Mequinol? I'm on Day 41 and haven't seen any 'lightening' changes yet. The reddening has subsided though my skin is still itchy every now and then. One thing that it has done is to get rid of the hyperpigmentation which I had between my thighs.
Hi hun I think the first month I got darker, like.. my hands are a kind of orange lol.
The darker places in the beggining were the first to lighten.
I think after the second month I could see some lightening but was a kind of circle, one day I woke up and OMG I am so light yay and after a week, darker again... after the light/dark cicles were longer and now I am just light... I think (not sure) hands are a kind of depigmented, they are sooo light.
don't give up, this process is a kind of weird...

1 - 20 of 216 Posts