Skin Care Talk banner

Monobenzone 20%: My journey

170K views 219 replies 28 participants last post by  Dimpu 
#1 ·
Hi guys

I started using Monobenzone 20% cream one month ago and I'd really appreciate some advice from people on here that have experience with it.

*I'd also like to mention that I have done my research well and have been thinking about using this for the past 7 years. I know that it can be a bumpy road until I achieve depigmentation but I've made my peace with that. I'm tan colour (Italian) and my goal is to look pale white.*

I have the actual cream prescribed by a dermatologist and have it made at a pharmacy in England so I know that I am using the real thing. I apply it 2-3 times a day.

I'm on Day 29 now and so far I haven't seen any lightening. In fact, my partner says that I look like I've had a tan. I've read somewhere that Monobenzone initially causes overproduction of melanin as your immune system is trying to fight the drug. Has anyone else initially darkened?

I know it must be working because I had some stubborn hyper-pigmented spots on my back (from teenage acne) for the past 15 or so years and nothing could get rid of them but they now seem to have faded quite a bit and some actually disappeared altogether...

The doctor said it could take 1 to four months to achieve depigmentation but by the looks of it will take a lot longer... I am thinking of incorporating Retin A into my regime hopefully it will speed things up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi there!
welcome to SCT!
Nice to see someone who wants to depig here in the forum.
I am not a mono user, I use mequinol (I have no ways to have mono prescribed so...).
I am surprised that your skin is ok with 2 to 3 applycations a day.
Did you have the rash? normally after like 2 weeks mono users have a rash, this is the way is not recommend to apply on face (you will have your face deppigmented anyway do don't worry).

I researched a lot about depigmentation...
so what I read on the net is that:
1.if you have a rash, just stop using the cream from 1 week, and start again on other part of your body.
2.it is normal to have a rash.
3. you don't need to cover the whole body with the cream, you still will depig totally because mono works in a systemic way.
4. the inicial darkening is a good signal, the melanocyts are dying and get purged. Don't frick out.
5. You can have some freckles or some spots (small ones) that are darker than your normal color. Don't worry is just the melanocyts getting a lit crazy keep applying the cream, and they will go away.
6. your skin will peel, crack, etc, hold on and don't stop. You can use some soothing oil and keep the mono applycation juts once a day.
7. mixing mono with retin a will make the results come faster but please please don't use retin a more than once a day, mono is already terrible on skin (make your skin crack, bleed, etc), so with retin a will be worse. (maybe you can use retina a with mono on your legs for example don't use on thin and delicate skin.
8.Mono will depig you, but will take like 1 year or more for caucasians.

So.... keep up the work, don't stop and good luck!!!

#3 ·
Hi Lunnah!

Rash, hmmm, I'm red and very itchy sometimes but nothing too serious (I don't have red pimples, it's just red patches). At first I couldn't apply it to my face as it burned like hell but since last week I've started applying it to my face too and it doesn't burn as much anymore.

Good that you mention the dark spots, I'm actually getting quite a few of these on my arms and chest area. They look like small black moles, not very attractive so I hope they go.

I'm getting some peeling but that's mainly where I also apply Retin A. For example, on my thighs and back as they are the darkest part of my body. When the skin peels the layer underneath is a slightly lighter colour.

Over the years I've read quite a few posts where people using mono get attacked for doing so. In my opinion, you're your own person and can become anything you want to so long as you're not hurting anybody else.

#4 ·
I would never try monobenzone and depigmenting is a very exotic thing, but I wish you luck with it and hope that your blotchy phase passes quickly.

I'm curious, what will you tell people when you're in the blotchy phase? Will you say vitiligo? If you don't know already you can get whole-body makeup that covers it up. Black people with vitiligo use it and you can't tell at all they have it because the makeup is so good it can cover the white blotches completely. Obviously you won't need this much.

I'm also curious how your doctor is going along with a cosmetic change.

Not trying to offend I'm just really curious. I've used other forums where people were trying mono left right and centre, but the place was very suspicious.

#5 ·
I think Monobenzone and depigmenting is not for everyone. I already have North European features so I wouldn't look weird with stark white skin.

Thanks for the make-up tip. I'm not too worried about what people will think in the meantime. If it comes to it I'll just say I have Vitiligo. But they might not even notice it; my skin is Fitzpatrick III and I want to go down to I. My doctor said that not everyone blotches, many people just lighten till eventually one day they're totally white.

I tried a few private dermatologists and let me tell you it hasn't been easy to find one that is okay with me doing this. Even the doctor that finally accepted to prescribe this medicine to me made me write a letter explaining exactly what I wanted and to specify that I know the risks.

Mono takes too long for me to also have to worry if the actual product I'm using is legit. I'd go crazy.

#6 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by sss999
I have used Monobenzone 20% in past and I got nasty rash from it after about 1 month.I didn't get any skin lightening but I kept using it everyday and suddenly after a month,I got huge red rashes only on the places where I applied mono cream.Those rashes were so bad that I had to go to the doctor.I didn't tell the dermatologist what I used.I was diagnosed with Urticaria(hives) and I was prescribed cortisone injection and some anti allergy drugs.
I only took allergy drugs and didn't go for the injection.Anyway,I did recover from those painful and itchy rashes but the rashes left behind dark skin and white spots.I still have those white spots and it's been 3 years when I used Mono cream.
I don't have dark patches anymore but I do have the spots.
I am a caucasian also with olive skin and want to depigment my skin but I don't think mono is suitable for me.
I remember a pharmacist once told me that Hydroquinone 10% is similar to monobenzone if I want to depigment my skin.

You say that your doctor prescribed you monobenzone.
Do you have vitiligo?

Sorry to hear. I too sometimes get hives after applying the mono for the third time in one day but my doctor said this is normal and I shouldn't stop unless it gets painful. So far it's just a bit itchy and I'm happy to put up with it. My doctor did tell me that some people are allergic to monobenzone and perhaps you're one of those people.

Interesting that you got white spots after one month's use. So far no white spots, only my hyperpigmented spots are fading and the rest of my skin is getting darker which as @Lunnah said this is to be expected as the old pigment is coming to the surface.

I don't know much about hydroquinone so can't comment. I think I read somewhere that anything above 4% is dangerous.

No, I do not have vitiligo. The only logical explanation is that some doctors are more open-minded than others.

#8 ·
I have used Monobenzone 20% in past and I got nasty rash from it after about 1 month.I didn't get any skin lightening but I kept using it everyday and suddenly after a month,I got huge red rashes only on the places where I applied mono cream.Those rashes were so bad that I had to go to the doctor.I didn't tell the dermatologist what I used.I was diagnosed with Urticaria(hives) and I was prescribed cortisone injection and some anti allergy drugs.
I only took allergy drugs and didn't go for the injection.Anyway,I did recover from those painful and itchy rashes but the rashes left behind dark skin and white spots.I still have those white spots and it's been 3 years when I used Mono cream.
I don't have dark patches anymore but I do have the spots.
I am a caucasian also with olive skin and want to depigment my skin but I don't think mono is suitable for me.
I remember a pharmacist once told me that Hydroquinone 10% is similar to monobenzone if I want to depigment my skin.

You say that your doctor prescribed you monobenzone.
Do you have vitiligo?

darling I am so sorry about what happens to your skin... but don't go the Hydroquinone route, it is never going to depping you and long term use can be toxic.
after a while some people just get a kind of used and reach a plateau... so it is not possible to deppig at all.
maybe you can try mono at a low % for a white and go up slowly... take your time.
if you have a good source of it, try if is really what you want.

#14 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunnah

5. You can have some freckles or some spots (small ones) that are darker than your normal color. Don't worry is just the melanocyts getting a lit crazy keep applying the cream, and they will go away.

Lunnah,

See picture below showing my black freckles. Is this what you're getting too? [Note one of them is a (raised) mole that I've had for years, the rest are new].

I'm getting these all over my body now....

#15 ·
Lunnah,

See picture below showing my black freckles. Is this what you're getting too? [Note one of them is a (raised) mole that I've had for years, the rest are new].

I'm getting these all over my body now....
Darling I have/had the same same same using mequinol (we are the same color btw - my mother is italian, father portuguese). they go away, firts they start to look more transparent, after they get a little red and go away.
I already posted about this saying looked the melanocyts were getting toguether for the final batlle lol. But we will win.
You are using a better/stronger chemical than me. For sure your freckles will go away faster.
"keep calm and apply mono"

#23 ·
good luck with your journey. I will soon be using 20 percent mequinol in attempt to depig. Im hoping to fully achieve it in 2 years. Im black so it will be a huge change. I wanted to use mono but have simply read too many cases of repigmentation on non vitiligo skin and melanin becoming too strong and resistant for ANY lighteners including mono. I wish you the best

#24 ·
I am so glad there is somebody int he current year trying monobenzone.....I am on indian origin and have vitiligo on over 40%of my body. I have tried EVERYTHING to get back my original caramel color but nothing has worked, its only spreading more!!!
my doctor mentioned monobenzone and gave me a week to think about it to get completely depigmented so I dont have to live with 2 colors......he gave me a week to think about it and would like my answer next week.
told me he can prescribe monobenzone 20% initially and can go up to 60% if needed.....treatment course about 2-4 months in length....
ist hat enough time to reach complete depigmentation??? I am not scared of the end results of being completely white...infact im kind of excited and happy to be finally of one color BUT I AM SUPER SCARED OF THE JOURNEY AND THE COURSE of getting depigmented.

I know that you have tried monobenzone for over a month, have u noticed any white spots or is it uniformly making you pale/lighter???
your post really will hep me. I have decided to go the monobenzone route and i think we can surely share our experiences and our progress together!!!

#27 ·
As mentioned plenty of times I'm getting DARKER! My skin on my arms and stomach area has become shrivelled, very shiny, itchy, and dark. Really weird and difficult to describe.

I have seen no lightening thus far and no white spots either. In seven days I will hit the two month mark. I know this takes time, so I'll try to be patient...

In my elbow folds I'm getting this raw pink patches (note: the flash is lightening my skin and patches). I also have these in bigger size near my thigh/lower pubic area. What's common about these two areas is that the skin is thinner.

#29 ·

I am not Lunnah but I have used Monobenzone before and I know that the skin gets so irritated and raw,using any other product on that skin is impossible.
Monobenzone is just too painful.
A lot of people are adding HQ or KA Oils and Serums in their whitening creams and lotions to boost the effect.
Mono. is much stronger than HQ and MQ. Doctor's don't even recommend Tretinoin to vitiligo patients because Monobenzone works without any exfoliants.
Since your doctor prescribed you this medication,you should go back to him and tell him that this cream is not working and making you darker.Most probably your preparation is not good enough.
Is your doctor treating vitiligo patients with monobenzone? Not many doctors know about monobenzone and depigmentation treatment.There are so many Vitiligo patients who go through pain during this treatment.
Just be careful if you decide to add other lighteners to your mono.

No, 100% sure that the monobenzone preparation is absolutely fine as I have it prepared by a pharmacy in London that has made/makes these for Vitiligo patients that go the depig route. The thing is, even for vitiligo patients depigmenting isn't very popular anymore as most prefer to repig. My dermatologist has treated a few vitiligo patients before with mono but hasn't treated a non-vitiligo patient before so she has nobody to compare me to. She did specify that it can take months and the lightening is very gradual until one day you no longer see the white spots (in the case of vitiligo patients).

I could use the other depig agents on the areas I'm not using Mono and in the case of Mequinol I could slather it everywhere once a day...

#32 ·
quote: Originally Posted by sss999

I am not Lunnah but I have used Monobenzone before and I know that the skin gets so irritated and raw,using any other product on that skin is impossible.
Monobenzone is just too painful.
A lot of people are adding HQ or KA Oils and Serums in their whitening creams and lotions to boost the effect.
Mono. is much stronger than HQ and MQ. Doctor's don't even recommend Tretinoin to vitiligo patients because Monobenzone works without any exfoliants.
Since your doctor prescribed you this medication,you should go back to him and tell him that this cream is not working and making you darker.Most probably your preparation is not good enough.
Is your doctor treating vitiligo patients with monobenzone? Not many doctors know about monobenzone and depigmentation treatment.There are so many Vitiligo patients who go through pain during this treatment.
Just be careful if you decide to add other lighteners to your mono.

sss999 great post thanks for the information I agree mono is strong and mixing more stuff it is not a good idea...

#34 ·
Today marks month two since I started using 20% Monobenzone twice to three times a day. Last week I added Retin A to my regimen and it definitely speeded things up. After getting very dark this month, last week I started flaking and as you can see from the picture lighter areas (but not lighter than my original skin colour) started appearing. At first you could see a clear border separating the dark and lighter skin but now the lighter skin has started getting darker again and it's starting to match the darker skin.

Note: the camera/flash is making my skin (both the dark and light skin) look lighter than it actually is.

#36 ·
Its so hard for a local pharmacy to get this made in a big amount....i am having a really hard time....
is using the compounded monobenzone 20% the same as using the benoquin ready made tube????
the pharmacy told me that once the monobenzone is compounded, its only good for one month.....then how come the benoquin tube is good for years??

i can't wait till i start using the cream!!! I am having spots on my face now, using makeup to cover it...any recommendations to speed up the process other then monobenzone?

also my doctor told me not to mix monobenzone with anything....
how much does the compounded cream cost in UK?
I am in USA and its about $150 for a 140gram tube, I am gonna need a whole lot more then that....they are gonna try to run it through my insurance

#37 ·
I was under the impression that ICN Pharm in California stopped manufacturing Benoquin cream years ago. As far as I'm aware you can only have monobenzone compounded by a pharmacist now in the US.

My pharmacists told me that Monobenzone cream is good for 3 months and advised me to store it in the fridge. The benoquin (tube) cream is good for years because the tubes are packed in such a way that no air can get to the cream. Once you pierce the tube seal the monobenzone cream would also only be good for three months.

My doctor advised me that mixing Retin A with monobenzone is fine and he has done this with his vitiligo patients too. It does speed things up.

You're definitely going to need a lot more than 140g of Monobenzone. I must have used over 500g in the past two months.

#38 ·
are you using the cream all over your body?? have you started using the Retin A yet?
I have placed my order at a local pharmacy and they will compound it for me and will make me a supply of 360grams initially....lets see how that goes.
have you or anybody else here bought the benoquin tubes online? are they legit? they are definitely cheaper then what im paying currently!!!!
thanks for all the responses

#39 ·
No, I'm only using it on my arms, back, chest and tummy area and sometimes on my legs. I never use it on my face.

I started using Retin A more than a week ago and I apply it over the Monobenzone cream.

The only Benoquin tubes I found online were either from India or China and I've never tried them. Depigmenting the monobenzone way takes a very long time and because of this I have doubts how my normal skin would respond to Monobenzone, imagine if I also had doubts about the quality of the Monobenzone, I'd go crazy thinking about it.

#41 ·
.05% strength, I buy it from the same pharmacy I buy my Monobenzone and use it only once a day usually after I shower.

#42 ·
so i started using the cream today. its 20% monobenzone, compounded at a local pharmacy with prescription.
after applying on my face, it burned a little, but didnt have any effects when i applied it on my hands or neck.

i was googling a couple of other things and came across - monobenzone soap and monobenzone pills.
has anybody used these?
any help will be appreciated.

#43 ·
its my 4th day using monobenzone, i been only using it on my face, hands and neck, twice a day...
this morning i woke up with my eyelids and underbags swollen and red....the redness went awy and the swelling came down little bit with benadryl....has anybody else have this happen??
i feel like the swelling is coming back again around my eyes...

also, i emailed this guy on ebay who was selling monobenzone pills, he said he can formulate the pills in a higher prescriptional stregnth to achieve depigmentation....anybody have any experience with pills?

i also ordered monobenzone 20% soap from ebay, will take about 2 weeks to recieve it....anybody has experience with that?

thank you

#44 ·
This medicine works systemically so there's no need for you to apply it on your face which is more sensitive than the rest of your body. My doctor said that there's a bigger chance of developing white spots on your face and neck and best to leave this area to lighten on its own over time. I suggest you start with your arms and chest. I hope you're using this medicine with the sole aim to depigment; otherwise, you will most definitely be disappointed with the outcome.

I believe neither the Monobenzone pills nor the soap are effective enough in depigmenting you. If your body can handle it I suggest you add Retin A and kojic acid soap to your regimen -- these two would (hopefully) speed things up.

#48 ·
Day 70 -- So far, no skin lightening. And no random white patches or spots either. Body and face have darkened (I look like I've been sitting in the sun for days), and nipples and pubic area have become very dark (no longer pink as they used to be, but rather very dark brown/black).

Large flaking has now stopped but there is still small random areas that flake every now and then.

The areas where I apply the Monobenzone cream + Retin A the most (i.e. arms, chest, tummy and back) are red and when I use a finger to press on this area it blanches (tuns pale for a second). Also my skin can get very itchy, but applying moisturiser tends to help a bit.

#49 ·
yay 70 days already!!!!
no worries about not seeing results.. everyday is a day ahead on your goal.
Your skin is red, from the cream... and is normal getting darker first.
if I was you I will take pics.... one day you will compare them and say wow this stuff is really working!!!

#56 ·
I apply the cream three times a day.

Morning (after shower with Kojie San soap): Retin a + Monobenzone on chest, belly, arms, back and thighs

Lunch/mid-afternoon: Monobenzone on chest, belly, arms, and back

Before bedtime: Monobenzone on chest, belly, arms, back and hands (also apply Retin A only hands at this point)

I do not wash off previous Monobenzone applications until the next morning when I have a shower.

#59 ·
Almost three months since I started Monobenzone but still no visible results

It's really depressing. Anyway will continue and see how it goes.... Ahhh

#60 ·
stay focused and on goal!!!
do you get any burning feeling when you put on the cream?
i dont feel anything when i apply it on my hands or neck, i only get burning when i apply on my face and my face is EXTREMELY DRY AND FLAKY
i guess its the hardest to lighten arms and legs.

#64 ·
Just ordered 15% MQL lotion from Glow Skin to use once a day after my bath. I certainly hope there are no (hidden) steroids in this lotion. I will continue applying 20% Monobenzone cream twice a day.

You'll probably think I'm crazy to add this to my regimen on top of the twice-a-day Monobenzone but I believe my body will be able to handle it as I have really thick skin (perhaps why it's taking so long for it to lighten). Anyway, if you don't experiment you won't learn...

#65 ·
My 15% MQL lotion from Glow Skin arrived today. The active ingredients of this lotion according to their website are: Mequinol 15%, Tretinoin 0.1%, Kojic Acid 5% and Camphor.

The lady from Glow Skin also included a small gift -- H&D Secret Oil to put on the skin for faster skin renewal.

Fingers crossed!

#66 ·
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunnah

Lunnah, after reading your Mequinol thread I decided to give Glow Skin's MQL 15% lotion a try. It's certainly very different to the monobenzone cream in that the monobenzone cream is more sticky (can feel it on my skin for hours) whereas the mequinol lotion seems to have evaporated as soon as I applied it on my skin. Another difference is that when I apply the monobenzone I can see the mono crystals on my skin (like glitter) but see nothing like that with the Mequinol. Shouldn't they behave similarly as they're similar chemical? You said it worked really well for you, yes? Fingers crossed it will speed things up for me too...

#73 ·
Lunnah, after reading your Mequinol thread I decided to give Glow Skin's MQL 15% lotion a try. It's certainly very different to the monobenzone cream in that the monobenzone cream is more sticky (can feel it on my skin for hours) whereas the mequinol lotion seems to have evaporated as soon as I applied it on my skin. Another difference is that when I apply the monobenzone I can see the mono crystals on my skin (like glitter) but see nothing like that with the Mequinol. Shouldn't they behave similarly as they're similar chemical? You said it worked really well for you, yes? Fingers crossed it will speed things up for me too...
hun mequinol don't give the glitter on the skin, it smells a lit weird but glow skin stuff is good, and works well.
you don't fell it on the skin. you can use it on face.
I don't think you are crazy for using both, I think I already said here if I had some doc to work with me I will be using mono as well (with mequinol lol).
So, you can trust glow skin, they are good and they use the right chemical.
All of my results are from mequinol, do it is working...
I am completing 1 year on mequinol on may 24th.. I wonder how white I could be if all this time I used mono but well...
we have to work with what we have...

#69 ·
@tan2white, I'm using mono, and I must say it's a mess, I'm new on here I am a mixed but with strong European features so I always felt I look weird, always wanted to either b totally dark or pale. I saw the inside of your arm how red it was, I am experiencing that now it hurts so bad. My mom was like you look darker there Lol I had to laugh to keep from crying. Im like omg im going in Reverse. Have you healed yet???

#71 ·
@tan2white, I'm using mono, and I must say it's a mess, I'm new on here I am a mixed but with strong European features so I always felt I look weird, always wanted to either b totally dark or pale. I saw the inside of your arm how red it was, I am experiencing that now it hurts so bad. My mom was like you look darker there Lol I had to laugh to keep from crying. Im like omg im going in Reverse. Have you healed yet???
Hi Barbie2064, the itchyness and soreness comes and goes. My doctor gave me a corticosteroid cream to apply whenever the pain becomes unbearable. He specified I should not apply it on my face as it thins the skin, but I don't have to anyway as I don't apply any whitening cream on my face or neck so no soreness there.

#77 ·
Do let me know your thoughts.

I'll have it tested just to be safe though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.