Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have been researching into mequinol and mono for a while, atm I am using mequinol 20% (15 days so far) and im currently in the dark phases.. where my skin is gone darker than usual before its starts lightning.

anyways! I understand that mono is use to treat vitiligo - to permanent remove melanin from the skin.

However my goal is to be really really fair! i am currently Nicole scherzingers tone (gone a bit dark since i started mequinol however this phase too shall pass LOL).

I avoid sun altogether so thats not an issue and I am really tempted to start mono. I know it will be patchy and the results will be longer since the skin lightens in patches. but for people who's goal is to be really really light almost pale why don't normal people consider it? i have read a lot on it there aren't much life threatening side effects from what i read and a few people have used it and got good results.

I have been lightning for years and i never get pass a certain high yellow tone. (I am arab btw) and my goal is seems so far out atm i am trying mequinol I have decided to give it 3 months time to work its great magic. but honestly if i don't see any results and very few people report that they dont see results if I am one of those unlucky people - then I am considering mono >_<.

Thoughts? tips? advice? experience.. please share.

Ps I am sharing my results from mequnion on hajjis thread.. ill soon start posting pictures there too.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
but for people who's goal is to be really really light almost pale why don't normal people consider it?
Probably 'cause of the significantly increased risk of cutaneous carcinomas and the pastey artificial look that it entails, along with a treatment plan that lasts for a long time and the fact that you'll likely need makeup to cover up imperfections.

After the treatment, you can never expose your skin to the sun again, as it has no melanin whatsoever to protect it. It won't tan but severely burn with limited exposure.

Monobenzone is given to patients with greater than 50% depigmentation from vitiligo. It should not be used for cosmetic / esthetic reasons.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Oh, here's Michael Jackson. He had a disfiguring form of vitiligo, which warranted monobenzone use.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably 'cause of the significantly increased risk of cutaneous carcinomas and the pastey artificial look that it entails, along with a treatment plan that lasts for a long time and the fact that you'll likely need makeup to cover up imperfections.

After the treatment, you can never expose your skin to the sun again, as it has no melanin whatsoever to protect it. It won't tan but severely burn with limited exposure.

Monobenzone is given to patients with greater than 50% depigmentation from vitiligo. It should not be used for cosmetic / esthetic reasons.

Hi Arrow,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the problem with exposure to the sun - I don't show my skin to the sun anyway I dress every inch of my body expect my face - and in regards to the extreme pale pastey skin there is always tanning lotion to make the skin look glowy.. no?

sorry if I am coming across really stupid. its just I have been trying to light my skin for 7 years! with minimal results its just getting depressing now :(. I never thought i would use mequinol but here I am giving it a try my last solution.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi all,

I have been researching into mequinol and mono for a while, atm I am using mequinol 20% (15 days so far) and im currently in the dark phases.. where my skin is gone darker than usual before its starts lightning.

anyways! I understand that mono is use to treat vitiligo - to permanent remove melanin from the skin.

However my goal is to be really really fair! i am currently Nicole scherzingers tone (gone a bit dark since i started mequinol however this phase too shall pass LOL).

I avoid sun altogether so thats not an issue and I am really tempted to start mono. I know it will be patchy and the results will be longer since the skin lightens in patches. but for people who's goal is to be really really light almost pale why don't normal people consider it? i have read a lot on it there aren't much life threatening side effects from what i read and a few people have used it and got good results.

I have been lightning for years and i never get pass a certain high yellow tone. (I am arab btw) and my goal is seems so far out atm i am trying mequinol I have decided to give it 3 months time to work its great magic. but honestly if i don't see any results and very few people report that they dont see results if I am one of those unlucky people - then I am considering mono >_<.

Thoughts? tips? advice? experience.. please share.

Ps I am sharing my results from mequnion on hajjis thread.. ill soon start posting pictures there too.
I understand your situation hun.
and to be honest with you,I don't see any reason why already light skinned people can't whiten their skin further or depigment completely if they want to?
I think it's a personal choice such like other cosmetic procedures...nose reshaping,breast augmentation which also has cancer risks btw.
Anyway,long long time ago when I didn't know about monobenzone,I came across about a forum where some white Caucasians used benoquin 20% for their malesma.At that time benqouin was made by ICN.I then found some people using it to get extremely pale because they were into goth stuff.I still believe that somehwere out there ppl are still using mono for skin whitening.
Just like you,I have tried to get a whiter skin since a long time but I can't seem to cross a certain stage.So for me the only think that can really work is mono.I tried it on a smaller area and it worked so fast and gave me light spots on the place where I applied it.I still ahve the spots and now I think that I wasted all thsi time when I just had continued using it and I should have been completely depigmented by now.
All I can say to you is that do your own research and do whatever makes you happy....:)
If you plan to go on this route,pls don't forget to contact me.I will join you too :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand your situation hun.
and to be honest with you,I don't see any reason why already light skinned people can't whiten their skin further or depigment completely if they want to?
I think it's a personal choice such like other cosmetic procedures...nose reshaping,breast augmentation which also has cancer risks btw.
Anyway,long long time ago when I didn't know about monobenzone,I came across about a forum where some white Caucasians used benoquin 20% for their malesma.At that time benqouin was made by ICN.I then found some people using it to get extremely pale because they were into goth stuff.I still believe that somehwere out there ppl are still using mono for skin whitening.
Just like you,I have tried to get a whiter skin since a long time but I can't seem to cross a certain stage.So for me the only think that can really work is mono.I tried it on a smaller area and it worked so fast and gave me light spots on the place where I applied it.I still ahve the spots and now I think that I wasted all thsi time when I just had continued using it and I should have been completely depigmented by now.
All I can say to you is that do your own research and do whatever makes you happy....:)
If you plan to go on this route,pls don't forget to contact me.I will join you too :)
Hey cloud9, Thanks for the reply.

and thank for sharing your experience :)

I am researching alot into it right now! honest all my internet history is on mono and MQ lol...!
Like I said currently I am using MQ 20 its too strong make my skin raw and then rashes which causes scabs -_- its trial and error. I may switch brands or sellers on ioffer.
Nontheless if MQ dont do much for me in the next three months then I am honestly considering mono.

Do you mind posting picture of the spot you tried MONO on please?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Arrow,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand the problem with exposure to the sun - I don't show my skin to the sun anyway I dress every inch of my body expect my face - and in regards to the extreme pale pastey skin there is always tanning lotion to make the skin look glowy.. no?

sorry if I am coming across really stupid. its just I have been trying to light my skin for 7 years! with minimal results its just getting depressing now :(. I never thought i would use mequinol but here I am giving it a try my last solution.
It's not stupid at all; those are great questions. :)

The pathway to depigmentation with monobenzone is a very bumpy one. Take a close look at this thread.

The thing is, you don't have to be in direct sunlight to suffer the consequences. UVA, which is also found in ambient and reflected light, readily penetrates glass. Having your curtains open will increase your risk of skin cancer significantly. You will need to remain covered with broad spectrum sunscreen at all times during the day.

Are you prepared to wear hats, long sleeves, sunblock etc. for the rest of your life? Are you okay with knowing that your skin will have literally zero sun protection for the rest of your life? What about the possibility of having to wear makeup? Often, patches of recalcitrant hyperpigmentation may arise which are completely resistant to monobenzone. The only thing you'd be able to do when medical intervention fails is to cover up those patches with makeup, as Michael Jackson apparently found out.

Moreover, dermatologists may use more than one treatment modality -- anything from the various phenols, lasers, cryotherapy, and agents like imiquimod or diphencyprone. It all depends on the individual case.

With these drugs, you are not becoming white -- you are essentially becoming albino. So, you can get a fake tan to hide the ghost look, but then what's the point -- there are other ways to get to that fake tan look than monobenzone.

Let's start with this... what have you tried throughout the years?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hey cloud9, Thanks for the reply.

and thank for sharing your experience :)

I am researching alot into it right now! honest all my internet history is on mono and MQ lol...!
Like I said currently I am using MQ 20 its too strong make my skin raw and then rashes which causes scabs -_- its trial and error. I may switch brands or sellers on ioffer.
Nontheless if MQ dont do much for me in the next three months then I am honestly considering mono.

Do you mind posting picture of the spot you tried MONO on please?
Hi dear,
The light spots that I got from mono are almost non existent as I am already pretty light skinned and I did some peeling and used HQ creams so my skin got more lighter and made the mono spots even less visible.I will try to take the pic of those spots and post for you to see or maybe PM you. :)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not stupid at all; those are great questions. :)

The pathway to depigmentation with monobenzone is a very bumpy one. Take a close look at this thread.

The thing is, you don't have to be in direct sunlight to suffer the consequences. UVA, which is also found in ambient and reflected light, readily penetrates glass. Having your curtains open will increase your risk of skin cancer significantly. You will need to remain covered with broad spectrum sunscreen at all times during the day.

Are you prepared to wear hats, long sleeves, sunblock etc. for the rest of your life? Are you okay with knowing that your skin will have literally zero sun protection for the rest of your life? What about the possibility of having to wear makeup? Often, patches of recalcitrant hyperpigmentation may arise which are completely resistant to monobenzone. The only thing you'd be able to do when medical intervention fails is to cover up those patches with makeup, as Michael Jackson apparently found out.

Moreover, dermatologists may use more than one treatment modality -- anything from the various phenols, lasers, cryotherapy, and agents like imiquimod or diphencyprone. It all depends on the individual case.

With these drugs, you are not becoming white -- you are essentially becoming albino. So, you can get a fake tan to hide the ghost look, but then what's the point -- there are other ways to get to that fake tan look than monobenzone.

Let's start with this... what have you tried throughout the years?
Hi Arrow, thanks you once again for the reply. I will be reading the thread this evening.

wow the information you have provided is invaluable!

well I have used many products like carolight, skin light which gave me hives :( and itchy skin after like 2 months mark. I have used amlactin, all sort of peels, retin a and much more! I finally did find a brand which worked amazingly! unfortunately those people went out of business and didn't even inform or anything! it was basically people DIY their own cream and selling via instagram thats the only thing that did wonders for me I was so light! anyhow now I am give the MQ-20% ago I bought one from ioffer but i feel like it dont contain any MQ or maybe very little as im peeling alot which i believe is due to retin a which is mix into the MQ. Now I have purchased MQ-20% from glow skin which i know a few people have used here and reported good results. I will be using MQ20% from GS and then possibly nadinola like 3 times a week to give it a boost.

I have even bought 5% HQ and 5% MQ mix from ioffer to use on my face and neck.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i was thinking of it but then i tell myself what if become extreme pale what about my sons in the future ? they will take my original color and every one will ask me about it

Hi Up down :) thanks for taking part!

Tbh my mother is the colour of milk and my father is dark brown.. if you see me and my sister together you wouldn't believe we are related (this is quiet normal in arabs/asians to be of different tone in same family) so i am not bothered about my future kids being different skin tone.

Also - arrow I wear abya so as I mentioned i cover every inch of my body in public. covering from sun is not an issue.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Arrow, thanks you once again for the reply. I will be reading the thread this evening.

wow the information you have provided is invaluable!

well I have used many products like carolight, skin light which gave me hives :( and itchy skin after like 2 months mark. I have used amlactin, all sort of peels, retin a and much more! I finally did find a brand which worked amazingly! unfortunately those people went out of business and didn't even inform or anything! it was basically people DIY their own cream and selling via instagram thats the only thing that did wonders for me I was so light! anyhow now I am give the MQ-20% ago I bought one from ioffer but i feel like it dont contain any MQ or maybe very little as im peeling alot which i believe is due to retin a which is mix into the MQ. Now I have purchased MQ-20% from glow skin which i know a few people have used here and reported good results. I will be using MQ20% from GS and then possibly nadinola like 3 times a week to give it a boost.

I have even bought 5% HQ and 5% MQ mix from ioffer to use on my face and neck.
Are you even all over (that is, one color)? When you used AHAs like lactic acid (e.g. amlactin) or vitamin derivatives like tretinoin (Retin-A), did you also apply lighteners simultaneously? What sunblock were you using?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE=arrow;1059185]Are you even all over (that is, one color)? When you used AHAs like lactic acid (e.g. amlactin) or vitamin derivatives like tretinoin (Retin-A), did you also apply lighteners simultaneously? What sunblock were you using?[/QUOTE]

I am definitely not one colour my stomach and back are much more darker than the rest of my body. I have used glycol acid and lactic acid lotion as well as retain a in the past and I still am using retin a as its mixed in the MQ I am using currently. I have always used HQ in the past while suing all those products i mentioned. I don't use any sun block on my body as i dont show my body skin however on my face I use kheils spf 50.

Arrow are you lighten or evening your skin as well?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I am definitely not one colour my stomach and back are much more darker than the rest of my body. I have used glycol acid and lactic acid lotion as well as retain a in the past and I still am using retin a as its mixed in the MQ I am using currently. I have always used HQ in the past while suing all those products i mentioned. I don't use any sun block on my body as i dont show my body skin however on my face I use kheils spf 50.

Arrow are you lighten or evening your skin as well?
You mentioned in a previous post that you have done peels before. Other than micropeeling with the above lotions, did you do any macro peel (with stronger LA, or one of the peeling oils, etc)?

Other than HQ and MQ, what other lighteners have you tried? While HQ is the dermatological gold standard, there are alternatives like kojic acid that also work well (but take longer). HQ gives a high yellow look while kojic acid gives a pale white look, anecdotally.

I am still evening. It is a long process indeed :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been browsing these forums for quite some time and trying different lightening methods until I decided that I just want to the depigment. I was so tired of reading responses from people who have never used certain products but wanted to comment on them. I used Meq 20% for almost two yrs, with gradual lightening, maybe only lightened one or two shades. I went back to my original color after two outings at the beach (and that was with spf) i'm pretty sure it might work different for everyone it just did not work for me in the way I wanted. I started using arbutin on my face, which only faded my acne marks, and some melasma. I recently decided I just want to depigment. I have been using monobenzone 20% mixed in body oil for two months now. There has been gradual lightening after a few weeks of super darkness. No spots as of yet but I will keep you updated. Please be careful with monobenzone as it doesn't work the same for everyone. I have heard of online sellers selling fake monobenzone. I am not here to tell you where I got mine from as that is at your own risk because it should be prescribed. I am only here to tell you about my results . It is very risky, but if I were to have any issues I am able to have downtime as I am retired and have free healthcare. I will keep you updated on my progress. Keep your personal situation in mind before using anything like it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been browsing these forums for quite some time and trying different lightening methods until I decided that I just want to the depigment. I was so tired of reading responses from people who have never used certain products but wanted to comment on them. I used Meq 20% for almost two yrs, with gradual lightening, maybe only lightened one or two shades. I went back to my original color after two outings at the beach (and that was with spf) i'm pretty sure it might work different for everyone it just did not work for me in the way I wanted. I started using arbutin on my face, which only faded my acne marks, and some melasma. I recently decided I just want to depigment. I have been using monobenzone 20% mixed in body oil for two months now. There has been gradual lightening after a few weeks of super darkness. No spots as of yet but I will keep you updated. Please be careful with monobenzone as it doesn't work the same for everyone. I have heard of online sellers selling fake monobenzone. I am not here to tell you where I got mine from as that is at your own risk because it should be prescribed. I am only here to tell you about my results . It is very risky, but if I were to have any issues I am able to have downtime as I am retired and have free healthcare. I will keep you updated on my progress. Keep your personal situation in mind before using anything like it.
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experiences with different lighteners.
I hope monobenzone depigment you safely.I have seen some people using it and getting lighter skin without spots or patches.I think people who evenly depigment with mono are very lucky.I hope you depigment with mono without the white spots or patches.
I am just wondering,if you are mixing 20% mono with your oil then doesn't this mean that you are diluting it?
Or is your plan to start with lower strength of mono and then work up to 20%?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi cloud9. Thank you. I am mixing 20% monobenzone in 8oz oil, so yes it is diluted. I haven't had any plans on working up to more as I am happy with the gradual results I am experiencing at the present moment. If needed, I will work my way up to a higher percent. It seems like the hyper-pigmented areas and melasma is a little stubborn, but hopefully with more effort it will get with the program. So far a few people have complimented my "glowing complexion" even though I haven't really seen much lightening for my face yet.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts