Skin Care Talk banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Yes, I get how monobenzone can be tempting, but it's not worth the patchiness and increased cancer risk, in my opinion. I wouldn't want to be exactly albino either.
Agreed. That albino color doesn't look very natural without additional makeup either.

Yes, patients with vitiligo don't have a higher risk to develop skin cancer, which sounds wierd, as you told maybe it's due to immune system which works differently with regard to non-vitiligo sufferers. My uncle has vitiligo for a long time and he normally does not wear sunscreen, he's 70 years old now and no cancer so far, on the other hand the development also depends on the genetic background x sunburns over time.

I honestly thought that people who had vitiligo wouldn't be at any risk of skin cancer once there is no more melanocytes present in the skin, however there is a question that intrigues me, even I am completely depigmented I still have reservoir melanocytes, which they can be activated by sun exposure, plus I do know that UVA is able to penetrate deeper into the skin and reach the dermis and find those melanocytes while UVB is absorbed directly by DNA, which means I'm not that safe, in other words, I can't be too careful.
That's awesome about your uncle. Biology is fascinating, isn't it? You're right, genetics and sun exposure plays a paramount role.

Indeed. Your chances of melanoma are still lower, perhaps, from what I've read. I'm not sure about other types of skin cancers, e.g. basal cell carcinoma, what do you think about that?

· Registered
18 Posts
Agreed. That albino color doesn't look very natural without additional makeup either.

That's awesome about your uncle. Biology is fascinating, isn't it? You're right, genetics and sun exposure plays a paramount role.

Indeed. Your chances of melanoma are still lower, perhaps, from what I've read. I'm not sure about other types of skin cancers, e.g. basal cell carcinoma, what do you think about that?

Arrow, as I told you, I have never seen a vitiligo sufferer with any type of skin cancer including melanoma, squamous carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma, maybe it' due to the immune system which works different from non vitiligo patients but it doesn't mean that me and my uncle cannot get skin cancer. We are not 100% safe, and about having an albino color it is a bit different plus they often blush and get wrincles.

Anyway it's important to warn people who want to depigment they do not have the same immune system as vitiligo sufferers, so things can be worse, nevertheless I want to see if they can depigment with mono.

· Registered
17 Posts
Like I said, not here for discouragement. Just simply here to tell you about my journey. I know the risks, I have a dermatologist. I am starting my own thread (review) on this journey soon with photos. Follow or don't. :)
@ wolf 26 you are extremely knowledgeable on the subject, I'm impressed. Not too many people out here do their research or consult in a physician/derm.

Everybody take care! xoxo

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Arrow, as I told you, I have never seen a vitiligo sufferer with any type of skin cancer including melanoma, squamous carcinoma and basal cell carcinoma, maybe it' due to the immune system which works different from non vitiligo patients but it doesn't mean that me and my uncle cannot get skin cancer. We are not 100% safe, and about having an albino color it is a bit different plus they often blush and get wrincles.

Anyway it's important to warn people who want to depigment they do not have the same immune system as vitiligo sufferers, so things can be worse, nevertheless I want to see if they can depigment with mono.
Thanks! Indeed.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=ABEF263C3077A42F8B3AC95D2578F22A.f03t04

As for depigmentation, I asked a dermatologist at my research lab, and he says it's most certainly possible to depig as a normal individual, but 1) you can't go back, as we already know, and you'd have to be treated as a vitiligo patient thereafter, and 2) you are not conferred any protection unlike vitiligo sufferers, severely increasing risk, also which we know, and 3) recurring patches of pigmentation, and 4) premature aging of skin. So, we're in consensus.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Like I said, not here for discouragement. Just simply here to tell you about my journey. I know the risks, I have a dermatologist. I am starting my own thread (review) on this journey soon with photos. Follow or don't. :)
@ wolf 26 you are extremely knowledgeable on the subject, I'm impressed. Not too many people out here do their research or consult in a physician/derm.

Everybody take care! xoxo
Looking forward to it.

· Registered
18 Posts
Arrow, about number 1,2 and 3 are correct, agreed, I just wanna talk about number 4, apparently it does not happen either when you have vitiligo, I know many people with vitiligo and their skin is completely different from albinos, it looks that our skin age slower even compared to healthy people, in other words people look younger, physicians still don't know the reason of it.

Other thing I want to talk about being prepared to wear hats, long sleeves, sunblock, etc for the rest of the life as you told previously. Well I tell you, it's not a rule, maybe it depends on side effect from monobenzone I don't live exactly like that all the time.

1) I do wear sunblock everyday, FINE; Otherwise If I spend more than 20 minutes when the sun is at its highest in the sky (between 10 am and 4 pm) I'd certanly burn easily, I'd get burning sensation for the whole week.
2) I wear hat only ocasionaly, e.g when I have to spend a long time outdoor, like playing tennis, but I don't wear hats when I go to work.
3) I wear long sleeves UV 50+ protection only when I don't wear sunblock or when I have to stay outside again for a great period of time plus when I go to the beach (but sometimes I just wear sunblock, sunglasses and stay in the shade most of the time).
4) I need adequate sunshine exposure daily at least 8 -10 minutes (e.g if you have a very fair skin, your body absorbs sun ray faster, so you don't need a longer time exposure) when the sunlight is not "strong", and do some exercises, so the bones thank.

BUT, It's also important to stress that monobenzone as every medication has it's side effects, for instance your skin may become very sensitive to the sun, now if it happens to you, well... you'll have avoid sun as much as possible for your entire life, and it also may occur fast repigmentation unfortunately (don't ask me why), thankfully I just had one of them during treatment which was contact dermatitis but it was temporarely.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Wolf, regarding your response to premature aging, I don't think he was referring to depigmented individuals with true vitiligo, but that's interesting nevertheless. I'll have to research that.

Of course, it's not a rule, but that does not imply that there are no consequences for not doing so. It does depend on individual reactions to monobenzone, but it also depends on mediating factors like the pre-existing incidence of vitiligo. A hypomelanotic individual without true vitiligo may respond differently; as you've said, "it's important to warn people who want to depigment that they do not have the same immune system as vitiligo sufferers, so it can be worse." The research is simply lacking, so it is likely that they will need to wear hats, long sleeves, sunblock, etc. for the rest of their lives, more so than you do.

· Registered
37 Posts
Wolf, regarding your response to premature aging, I don't think he was referring to depigmented individuals with true vitiligo, but that's interesting nevertheless. I'll have to research that.

Of course, it's not a rule, but that does not imply that there are no consequences for not doing so. It does depend on individual reactions to monobenzone, but it also depends on mediating factors like the pre-existing incidence of vitiligo. A hypomelanotic individual without true vitiligo may respond differently; as you've said, "it's important to warn people who want to depigment that they do not have the same immune system as vitiligo sufferers, so it can be worse." The research is simply lacking, so it is likely that they will need to wear hats, long sleeves, sunblock, etc. for the rest of their lives, more so than you do.
Arrow, you're incredibly knowledgeable on the subject! I want to thank you and @wolf_26 for all the information you've contributed to this thread.

I've thought about using MQ, as I've read that it's semi-permanent, but I haven't seen many accounts of people actually using it to completion and confirming if it's truly permanent, so I like reading these threads. I've no plans to endanger my safety and my beautiful youthful skin over being depig'd, but man, it would be super neat to be able to jump from nw42 to nw35-30 without worrying about skin redarkening. I followed another member's MQ trial here, and she seemed to have good results, but she was Caucasian so there's no telling if the lightening will be much more patchy/troublesome with my darker skin tone. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble here. Basically, thanks for the information. It's invaluable.

· Registered
17 Posts
@kittybangbang...Hey there,how are you doing?
Have you increased you mono percentage or still using the same?Any update pls?
Thanks xx
@cloud9 hi, thanks for asking! there is no drastic changes lately other than what I have posted so far. I have not increased nor decreased applications. However, I do have one stark white spot on my inner arm, the size of a maybe grain of salt. My derm says my body may still be trying to fight it off by rapidly producing more melanin Tho I have not darkened, and still lighter (the previous pics I posted) no change from there. I will keep you updated.

· Registered
158 Posts
@kittybangbang thanks for replying dear.
I got my cream from a dermatologist as well.But I will be starting with 5% mono instead of 20%.
I will also keep you updated about my results.
I just hope that I don't get any spots or patches and that I lighten evenly just like you :)

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Arrow, you're incredibly knowledgeable on the subject! I want to thank you and @wolf_26 for all the information you've contributed to this thread.

I've thought about using MQ, as I've read that it's semi-permanent, but I haven't seen many accounts of people actually using it to completion and confirming if it's truly permanent, so I like reading these threads. I've no plans to endanger my safety and my beautiful youthful skin over being depig'd, but man, it would be super neat to be able to jump from nw42 to nw35-30 without worrying about skin redarkening. I followed another member's MQ trial here, and she seemed to have good results, but she was Caucasian so there's no telling if the lightening will be much more patchy/troublesome with my darker skin tone. Anyway, I'm starting to ramble here. Basically, thanks for the information. It's invaluable.

@Coconutte You're welcome.

4-hydroxyanisole (mequinol) is not semi-permanent. The term "semi-permanent" doesn't make sense, since by its definition it is either permanent or it's not. 4-HA does have a variable effect; it is intracellularly metabolized by tyrosinase to form catechol and then o-quinone, which is highly cytotoxic. At higher concentrations (i.e. around 20%), it acts as a permanent depigmentation agent over a course of 12 to 14 months, but in many cases will not kill follicular melanocytes, and thus the emergence of recalcitrant hyperpigmentation caused by migrating melanocytes is common and resolved with e.g. cryotherapy. This is something you'll need to talk about with your dermatologist.

· Registered
158 Posts
No I am talking about Monobenzone. It is useless. Try Piona. It works better and is safe as well.
Why are you saying it's useless?
Have you tried Monobenzone before?
Kittybangbang is using it and she got light evenly.
Piona is just another hydroquinone cream.I don't think Hq works for everyone.I even used Rx Hq 6% with exfoliantes but it didn't work for me.

· Registered
17 Posts
Why are you saying it's useless?
Have you tried Monobenzone before?
Kittybangbang is using it and she got light evenly.
Piona is just another hydroquinone cream.I don't think Hq works for everyone.I even used Rx Hq 6% with exfoliantes but it didn't work for me.
@cloud9 hi! Saw an update via email and logged in. True, I am using monobenzone. Keep in mind, everything works differently for everyone. I have tried HQ in the past, only lightened a shade or two but experienced exogenous ochronosis years ago on my feet after several months use. My feet turned grey and they gradually healed over several months time. I have been on a lightening journey for a very long time, so keep in mind I have tried ALOT of stuff haha As of today, there are no changes from my monobenzone use from my last post. Still a little lighter, no darkening. Unsure when it will start to really depigment my skin. I was in the sun with sunscreen for a few hours last week. Still no changes. Will keep you updated. Thanks!

· Registered
158 Posts
@kittybangbang hey there hun!So good to hear from you again.
I know that you have tried a lot of stuff in past.I was trying to tell Elom that everyone is different and what may work for you,may not work for someone else and vise versa.I know that hydroquinone is a waste of time for me but mono will work as I have tried it in past.But I used 20% directly and it gave me spots.I need to experiment with a lower dose and see how that works.
Monobenzone works very slow.Some people see their initial results after 4 months.How long did it take for you to see your skin lightening?
If it took 4 months then maybe you will see your skin lightening to few more shades after 4 months?
I am just guessing that it will work like this........

· Registered
18 Posts
Hi, It's been a long time since I didn't come in here, so If anyone ask me about monobenzone I certainly have enough experience on it, on the other hand Mequinol and stuff they are not in my field of knowledge, I don't have a clue :D

· Registered
81 Posts
Hi girl I'm about to start My monobenzone journey too. I'm starting with my lips I was prescribed mono in lower concentration for my lips. The dermatologist said that it will depig my lips within 7 weeks permanently. My derm said entire body depigmentation with an undertone believe it or not she said UNDERTONE I got really excited it will cost me about 21,000 USD. My derm also said depigmentation comes in phases for example complete depigmentation paper white Michael, depigmentation with a yellow undertone(Rihanna tone without self tanner my derm confirmed that Rihanna depigmented when I showed a picture of her picture without makeup and told her this is my goal color) and a olive undertone depigmentation. My derm said the concentrations of monobenzone/ Benoquin will determine the type of undertone you will permanently have, for example benoquin 40%(olive undertone)
benoquin 60( yellow undertone / complete white no undertone) with the 60 is the strongest and which ever undertone you get will depend on how long you use it. Also I know I have the real thing because my derm specifically told me authentic monobenzone cream is a brown and the higher the concentration the darker brown the cream. Mono 20% is a light tan brown, Mono 40% is a medium dark tan brown and mono 60 is a dark brown in color hope this helps

· Registered
20 Posts
My derm also said depigmentation comes in phases for example complete depigmentation paper white Michael, depigmentation with a yellow undertone(Rihanna tone without self tanner my derm confirmed that Rihanna depigmented when I showed a picture of her picture without makeup and told her this is my goal color) and a olive undertone depigmentation. My derm said the concentrations of monobenzone/ Benoquin will determine the type of undertone you will permanently have, for example benoquin 40%(olive undertone)
benoquin 60( yellow undertone / complete white no undertone) with the 60 is the strongest and which ever undertone you get will depend on how long you use it. Also I know I have the real thing because my derm specifically told me authentic monobenzone cream is a brown and the higher the concentration the darker brown the cream. Mono 20% is a light tan brown, Mono 40% is a medium dark tan brown and mono 60 is a dark brown in color hope this helps
Yep. Hers was a combination of mequinol and QSR laser treatments, as the primary depigmentation protocol.

· Registered
81 Posts
My derm also said depigmentation comes in phases for example complete depigmentation paper white Michael, depigmentation with a yellow undertone(Rihanna tone without self tanner my derm confirmed that Rihanna depigmented when I showed a picture of her picture without makeup and told her this is my goal color) and a olive undertone depigmentation. My derm said the concentrations of monobenzone/ Benoquin will determine the type of undertone you will permanently have, for example benoquin 40%(olive undertone)
Yep. Hers was a combination of mequinol and QSR laser treatments, as the primary depigmentation protocol.
Yes it was and Rihanna skin is depigmented and uniform it looks good and it looks even better when she applies self tanners and tanning oils. I am currently using monobenzone for my lips in lower concentration I will update you on the results in about 8 weeks

41 - 60 of 77 Posts