Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am sorry to post so many questions, but this DIY stuff is soooooo new to me.

I made a a batch of the C serum using L ascorbic acid, distilled water and little bit of glycerin. I mixed it up and put in dark bottle in the refrig. I checked the ph level with the strips I ordered and they do not change color after dipping them.....could anyone suggest what I may have or not have done????

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Check the scale on the packaging. It should give a range of pH that the kit is able to test for. Some kits start too high. The pH of the serum has to be below 3.5 - so you need a kit that tests in the lower acidic range.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I don't know...if it doesn't even register, it might be too acidic, like below 0, is that possible?
Also, it helps to put a drop of serum on the strip rather than dipping it into the serum so that you can see a color change better and not contaminate the serum, right?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I made a new batch..it is in the refrigerator, I will test it when I get home. Have to run out now....It shouldn't be to acidic this time around I only used 1 teaspoon as advised earlier....thanks fawnie and everyone else....(I hope it is not to acidic, if that was the case couldnt I burn my face?)

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
well I made a new batch..it is in the refrigerator, I will test it when I get home. Have to run out now....It shouldn't be to acidic this time around I only used 1 teaspoon as advised earlier....thanks fawnie and everyone else....(I hope it is not to acidic, if that was the case couldnt I burn my face?)
Yeup.
If you are using GC, I would try it on an inconspicuous place first a couple times to see how your skin will react before slathering it on! Mine stings a bit, so don't be surprised..but it shouldn't burn or turn your skin red!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Mine too doesn't register the ph with the recipe I have. I think mine is because of the ultra fine powder. I found I have to add a pinch here add a pinch there. To get it to the correct ph level.

So if you are using the ultra fine powder, this might be the reason????

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Yes, but no matter what powder you are using it should go into solution and it's the pH of the solution you're measuring, right?
Yes, the mixture, combined with the Vit C, distilled and glycerin. Then I measure the ph. But it does take me more than what the recipe calls for. I just keep adding until I get the ph to 3.5. I thought it might be because of the type of C I am using. This ultra fine, is truly ultra fine, melt in your mouth fine. Like whip cream, sorry only way I can explain it-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm not much help with the pH problem....I just follow the recipe like a good little sheep and it usually turns out with pH of 2.5 so I leave it like that.

I don't know how to manipulate the pH. The girls at EDS know that, and Kassy here does also. If you PM her she could help with it. Sorry, no help at all...

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mine too doesn't register the ph with the recipe I have. I think mine is because of the ultra fine powder. I found I have to add a pinch here add a pinch there. To get it to the correct ph level.

So if you are using the ultra fine powder, this might be the reason????
Gymrat - I would be very interested to know exactly what product you are using. It sounds very strange to me that you cannot get a pH reading when making a 15% solution using the recipe that we have been discussing. Fawnie is right - once the ascorbic acid goes into solution it doesn't matter whether it started out as crystals, powder, fine powder, etc.

The objective is to make a given concentration of Vitamin C - I think we are doing 15% (or so). This should give a pH less than 3. If not, there is something wacky going on - and I am very curious to know what is happening, so post the exact product for me/us to see, if you would.

Typically when a pH does not fall in the target range, the remedy is not to add more active ingredient, but to use "pH adjusters". For example, to make it more acidic - use citric acid. To make it more alkaline - use sodium bicarbonate. I believe that these are available from the suppliers, but we should not have to use them for our serums. The serum starts out acidic, and when it becomes alkaline, due to oxidation, we toss it away.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mirecka,

That is the problem I am encountering...I have been trying several times to make the DIY C Serum. For some reason, no matter what recipe I use, the ph strips remain basically the same color (which is orange, according to the ph reading that is equivalent to 2.5) now I realize that 2.5 is a decent reading, but what is confusing to me is that the reading never seems to change. I have tried Fawnies recipe and Gymrats recipe. Then as an experiment I made another sample batch and added more and more c-powder to see if I would get a different reading and that did not change either. In order to get a reading of 3 it should change color to a yellowish green. this does not happen.

Since this is all new to me I cant help but wonder If I am doing something wrong??? It seems like everyone else whips it up with no problem. I feel like an idiot making all of these posts with the same problem, but it is frustrating to me. Especially when everyone keeps saying how easy it is. I cant help but wonder what is going on...I thought maybe it was the strips so I dropped regular water (not distilled) on the paper to see if the color change and it did.

Again I apologize for all the questions...but I am the type of person who doesnt give up till I get it right and it is killing me not knowing what is going on.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
That is the problem I am encountering...I have been trying several times to make the DIY C Serum. For some reason, no matter what recipe I use, the ph strips remain basically the same color (which is orange, according to the ph reading that is equivalent to 2.5) now I realize that 2.5 is a decent reading, but what is confusing to me is that the reading never seems to change.
Again, please let me/us know exactly what C product you are using - where did you get it and what is the exact name of it? I would like to look at the website and see exactly what type of material it is.

I have a set of pH strips from the Garden of Wisdom. The color of the strip itself is a light orange - close to neutral (7) on the scale. But when I put a drop of serum on it - it changes to a dark orange-red color, which tells me that the pH is somewhere between 2 and 3, closer to 2 because it is actually a red-orange.

If you have these same strips, and your strip is not changing color, I guess that I am concerned that there might be a buffer in it, which would make it less acidic and not produce the color change that we are hoping for.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Gymrat - I would be very interested to know exactly what product you are using. It sounds very strange to me that you cannot get a pH reading when making a 15% solution using the recipe that we have been discussing. Fawnie is right - once the ascorbic acid goes into solution it doesn't matter whether it started out as crystals, powder, fine powder, etc.

The objective is to make a given concentration of Vitamin C - I think we are doing 15% (or so). This should give a pH less than 3. If not, there is something wacky going on - and I am very curious to know what is happening, so post the exact product for me/us to see, if you would.

Typically when a pH does not fall in the target range, the remedy is not to add more active ingredient, but to use "pH adjusters". For example, to make it more acidic - use citric acid. To make it more alkaline - use sodium bicarbonate. I believe that these are available from the suppliers, but we should not have to use them for our serums. The serum starts out acidic, and when it becomes alkaline, due to oxidation, we toss it away.
Mine eventually registers, but it does take more than what the recipe calls for. I am using
Vitamin C L-ascorbic acid
pH Indicator Roll (0-6)

I make enough for 2 weeks and keep it in the fridge in a dark droppler and in a little brown sack. Mine has oxidized once but that was one I had bought from a a company, not that I made myself. Mine stays clear, and has never turned yellow by any means.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mine eventually registers, but it does take more than what the recipe calls for. I am using
Vitamin C L-ascorbic acid
pH Indicator Roll (0-6)
Both look fine to me. I am curious - what is the pH of the formulation after you mix everything together? If it is medium orange so that there appears to be no color change - that means that the serum is not acidic enough.

I just tested the pH of my spritzer (just vit C + water, 15%) and it is close to 2 (dark orange).

And then I tested the pH of my glycerin - and I had no color change at all. This says to me that pH of glycerin being used in the recipe is raising the pH of the final serum too high.

The pH of the serum needs to come way down - to less than 3.5. One way would be to add a pH adjuster (citric acid or something else), but an easier thing to do would be to reduce the amount of glycerin and substitute an equivalent amount of distilled water. By how much? - it would be trial and error until you get the maximum amount of glycerin that does not raise the pH above 3.5. I would start by adding just a couple of drops - just enough to add some viscosity to the serum, or it may be easier just to eliminate the glycerin altogether.

I have not been using glycerin in my own for awhile now and like a thinner serum much better. So my spritzer goes all over. I apply oils to my face and neck afterward as a moisturizer and so do not miss the glycerin at all.

I hope that this makes sense - if not, let me know. If so, good luck and let me/us know how it turns out.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Both look fine to me. I am curious - what is the pH of the formulation after you mix everything together? If it is medium orange so that there appears to be no color change - that means that the serum is not acidic enough.

Here's just a suggestion - the next time that you make a batch - why don't you mix the vitamin C and distilled water portions of the recipe and check the pH of that. That is, w/o the glycerin and any other ingredients. It should be pretty low, probably close to 2. I just checked the pH of my spritzer (just vit C + water, 15%) and it is close to 2 (dark orange).

If the pH is in the desired range, then the problem is the glycerin IF that is the only other ingredient. So - I guess that I would reduce the amount of glycerin (and substitute and equal amount of water) or cut it out completely. I have not been using glycerin in my own for awhile now and like a thinner serum much better. I apply oils afterward as a moisturizer and so do not miss the glycerin at all.
Yes you are exactly right mireckca!! No color change, so it isn't acidic enough!! What you said mixing the C with the water and testing it, is how I tested it last time. Mine came out almost a dark orange in color.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Gymrat - you really could have some "fun" experimenting with all of this. If you add ferulic acid and/or hyaluronic acid (I think you mentioned this possibility), for example, these will help to keep the overall pH down so that the glycerin may not be as much of a problem.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok...I tested the glycerin..alone and the ph paper changes color, then I tested just the water (distilled ) with just Vitamin C (I put alot of C to see if the paper would change) nope stays dark orange...no matter how much c i add the ph paper never changes. It did change color with just the glycerin alone...is this bizare....I cant beleive I cannot even do this...I am so sorry to cause all these commotion. I was just so eager to start using this...GGGGGGrrrrrrrr

1 - 20 of 52 Posts