Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just found this forum, think its a fantastic site!

Anyway I just started a new skin care regime and I wanted to know if there's anyway I can improve it, or if theres anything I'm doing wrong. I haven't really been doing it long enough to see the results myself.

In the morning I use a cleanser(Simple) and a toner(again Simple-soothing facial toner). At night I wash my face with soap and water then apply Panoxyl acengel 5. I've had some mild problems with acne before but in the past this cream has been effective. Recently I've noticed my acne coming back so I decided I should start using it again. Should probably mention that I have combination skin-the forehead and nose being the worst for greasiness.

Anybody have any thought on how to improve this etc?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site! First thing get rid of the SOAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! Use a facial cleanser for Combination skin. ( You never really know what is in that soap!!!!!! Then invest a little in a really good sunblock. Those are the best things I can recommend for you, as well as a moisturizer again for combination skin, but another for the eye area. Good luck hope this helps you out!

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Hi Jack, and welcome.

If you are having acne issues, try usinig a cleanser with salicylic acid. There are quite a few out now and you can find them at any drugstore. Walgreens, target, CVS, etc. Also, maybe try and exfoliate once or twice a week, with a mild exfoliator. Last but not least, wear sunscreen before heading out the door, and this will replace having to use a moisturizer-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Gymrat,

My morning/night regimes are:

Morning:
cleanse -> clinique #2(for combination) toner -> shuemura essence -> clinique moisturizer -> shuemura mist -> benefits primer -> start makeup

* Once or twice a week, I exfoliate my face before taking a shower. After shower, I apply a facial mask sheet to provide moisture and nutrition to my face after exfoliation. Then I follow my morning regime as mentioned above (when I use a facial mask sheet, I skip essence)

Night:
remove makeup and cleanse -> toner -> moisturizer -> sisley night cream -> shiseido eye cream

Hope this helps

VANYA

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Well.......it all looks good to me. But, if you are having acne issues, maybe try and go without the benefit primer and see if they start going away. I have used that before. I am extremely acne prone, and can't wear very many makeup primers for this reason.

Everything else looks fine. You can't go wrong with Clinique.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Well.......it all looks good to me. But, if you are having acne issues, maybe try and go without the benefit primer and see if they start going away. I have used that before. I am extremely acne prone, and can't wear very many makeup primers for this reason.

Everything else looks fine. You can't go wrong with Clinique.
Hi Gymrat,

Which face primers would you recommend for acne-prone skin? I am very acne-prone on top of having extremely oily skin!

Have you used clinique pore minimiser? How do you find it if you used it?
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Hi Gymrat,

Which face primers would you recommend for acne-prone skin? I am very acne-prone on top of having extremely oily skin!

Have you used clinique pore minimiser? How do you find it if you used it?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Pumi-

Yes, I have tried Clinique pore minimizer and love it. I use it over my foundation and have better luck with it that way. But you can use it either way, under/over. Somedays I will just use that and a little blush and be on my way.

If you have oily skin/acne prone skin finding a good face primer can be a challenge. Have you ever tried Bliss products before? They have some pretty good stuff for those with oily skin. I think this one would be worth a try for you. I would apply it before you apply your foundation.

Sephora: Bliss Steep Clean™ Mattifying Gel: Oil/Blemish Control

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am new as well and new to the taking care of your skin routine. I hope to learn pointers ans share pointers as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the great advice

Quote: Originally Posted by

In the morning I use a cleanser(Simple) and a toner(again Simple-soothing facial toner). At night I wash my face with soap and water then apply Panoxyl acengel 5.

Been doing this routine for awhile(i cut out the soap and just used my normal cleanser at night). However I'm noticing that particuarly around my nose and mouth I'm getting quite a lot of breakouts. I think the general health of my skin has improved a bit-it feels a bit better and tighter-but I seem to be getting more breakouts than I was before. Is this normal when trying out a new regime? I think I read somewhere on these forums about all the dirt etc coming to the top of your skin which is why you have give it some time but maybe I'm just imagining that:p

Also someone mentioned exfoliating above. Are there any products or different types(e.g. for skin types etc) in particular, which would be recommendable?

Thanks again for all your help, its really appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Heya, so you're using a normal cleanser and a toner, no soap.
Here's what solved my problem, and I'm a combo skin myself.
You need to get an acne fighting cleanser with salyclyic acid (o.o5% is the one I have from La Roche-Posay (Effaclar Gel)). Then you need to follow up with a toner like you are, to bring the pH back into your skin since you just cleansed. Then you need to MOISTURIZE. Moisturizing is very, very important. Find a fluide or lotion type moistuirzer that won't clog pores (non-comedogenic), they are much lighter for us combos that tend to get oily (if you do that is). Give that regimen a month.
As for exfoliating, another big key.
I exfoliate twice weekly, sometimes only once, no more than that. I use the Body Shop's Seaweed Pore Cleansing Facial Exfoliater (blah bla blah whatever) and then follow it up with a clay based masque, since that's the best for us combination skin types.
Get into the habit of cleansing, toning and moisturizing morning and evening.
And yes, sunscreen, yummy yummy sunscreen.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

Oops! Avoid ordinary soap when cleansing your face because it can strip the skin's acid mantle and cause over-dryness.

This is because, although soap does an effective job initially, the results do not last and soap's drying agents will encourage more oil to compensate. This has probably encouraged your acne.

Use a p.h-balanced cleanser in bar or liquid form instead of soap,

Hope this helps,

redrose

1 - 12 of 12 Posts