Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have many small scars on my face, arms and legs, ranging from a few months to a few years old. I develop scars easily as my skin doesn't always recover effectively.
What are the most effective methods of reducing their appearence without harming the skin, (lasers, dermabrasion, peels)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Unfortunately this question isn't that simple. It depends on what type of skin you have, what the scars are like, what your budget is, and how your skin reacts to treatments.

If you provide more information, I can recommend something. Your skin is important to know because certain lasers can't be used on darker skin. Your age and the condition of the skin is also another factor to be considered. The type of the scars will also determine the correction path, as in, if they are raised scars, indented scars, or flat scars. Their color and thickness also play a role as well as their locations.

Sometimes, its even better to leave a scar alone since a correction attempt can make the whole situation worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Crystalz, Freddy is right, their is no "best" treatment of reducing scars, it depends on the individuals scars. Lasers, dermabrasions and peels are all effective options but are also very harsh options. I posted a link to an article which has a quick summary on different treatments like the ones you mentioned in another thread (http://www.skincaretalk.com/acne/1796-acne-scarring.htm). There are also some great creams available with ingredients such as Vitamin E, snail secretion, rose hip oil and regenerative herbal extracts. These less-invasive treatments are very gentle on the skin but will take longer to achieve results. Personally, I always go for the slower, more natural option!
Kathleen LeRoi

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for the posts + article. I've tried some natural treatments (rosehip, Bio-oil) but I found these ineffective at reducing scars after a few months trial. I have very fair skin (burns easily and sensitive, so prob best to use non-abrasive/harsh treatment) and a variety of different scars, but mainly flat ones from scratches and scabs which I used to pick when I was younger (ew, I shouldn't have I know). I also have acne scars on my face, up to 2yrs old. I am in my late teens and budget isn't really a problem, trying to plan course of action for scars for near future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also wondering if anyone knew anything about the use of stem cell therapy to eliminate scars?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Natural or pharmaceutical, what you need is a really gentle product, as your skin needs to stay away from chemicals and irritants. Strengthening your skin tissue will definitely help, so follow a healthy diet and drink plenty of water to ensure proper skin nutrition. Also, take a minute everyday to expose your skin to sunlight, and use a light moisturizer if you need it.

Stem cell therapy seems to be a promising yet expensive solution; the price is something you'll need to consider. You can never know if the right solution for you is actually a cheaper treatment!
Kathleen LeRoi

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think that's a good point. Another thing to remember is that scars are permanent, you can visibly reduce its appearance but that's pretty much where you stand. If you get a scar cut out there will be another scar from the surgical procedure and as I said earlier you may find that this is worse than the original abrasion.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I dont know too much about this but i used to have really bad, visible scars and i used Bio oil.
It helped a lot to fade them but obviously not get rid of them.
Dunno if you can get it over there in America or wherever you live but if you cant i should imagine you can get it on ebay or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have many small scars on my face, arms and legs, ranging from a few months to a few years old. I develop scars easily as my skin doesn't always recover effectively.
What are the most effective methods of reducing their appearence without harming the skin, (lasers, dermabrasion, peels)?

Thanks,
Like what has already been said, you can't completely get rid of scars but you can significantly reduce them by smoothing out the surface of the skin. Personally I have found snail gel to be absolutely brilliant and I know there have been clinical trials to prove that it's really effective when used regulally every day. You can get snail gel for the face and for the body - just google snail gel extract or snail gel and you can find out more about it there. Also another good tip I've found is to always put a few drops of good quality baby oil in your bath - it should contain vitamin E which is great at regenerating skin as well as sealing in moisture. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately this question isn't that simple. It depends on what type of skin you have, what the scars are like, what your budget is, and how your skin reacts to treatments.

If you provide more information, I can recommend something. Your skin is important to know because certain lasers can't be used on darker skin. Your age and the condition of the skin is also another factor to be considered. The type of the scars will also determine the correction path, as in, if they are raised scars, indented scars, or flat scars. Their color and thickness also play a role as well as their locations.

Sometimes, its even better to leave a scar alone since a correction attempt can make the whole situation worse.
Quote: from Virginia: : I have facial scars that occurred at age 3. I've been doing research on the "dermaroller". You can "Google" the word for links. I have ordered one and will be using it with Copper Peptides remodeling products. I havn't read of side effect to date, if anyone has knowledge of any, pls. let me know?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I used it on a leg scar, and it helped somewhat. But there's still a long way to go before I'm satisfied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote: from Virginia: : I have facial scars that occurred at age 3. I've been doing research on the "dermaroller". You can "Google" the word for links. I have ordered one and will be using it with Copper Peptides remodeling products. I havn't read of side effect to date, if anyone has knowledge of any, pls. let me know?
Jan 11/09. I've been using my derma roller now for 5 wks. I use it with Dr. Loren Pickard's copper peptides, "Super Cop." cream & vit. C serum. I havn't noticed a significant change to date, (if any) but will continue for the life of the roller(4 mos.) I have 3 mos. to go. I intend to double the treatments to every 3rd day to determine if thay my make a possitive difference. I also use emu oil to moisten my skin. I will never again put any product on my skin that has glycols of any kind. I'll keep you posted. Virginia

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the peptides...burn a little at first, but I really think they work over time...let us know how the roller works with it... (and yeah, i agree avoiding glycols is a good plan!)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have some scars and blocked pores and have been advised to use glycolics and try some peels just wondered why saying to avoid the glycolics?

thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts