Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Injection used to relax muscles called Dysport has just gained approval. It is manufactured in UK by Ipson Biopharm and is touted to give results in two to three days as opposed to Botox 7-10 and it lasts 4-6 weeks longer and costs 25% less. The same black box warnings apply but this is surely going to overtake botox as the new injectable muscle relaxant of choice.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks Lexi to let us know what new in the market, I hope this one will have less side effects! I will wait at least 5 years to know what they are!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have yet to try Botox let alone this! I have mixed feelings about this. From early studies I read previous to when it was approved in USA it seems both are the same form of botulism but Dysport disperses more which makes it good for areas like forehead where there is a plate of muscle and botox is more localised making it safer for areas you do not want to have a lot of spread like the eyes. Johnson and Johnson is also coming out with yet another version of the same toxin.

I think when my time comes I will get the facelift and have them snip the muscles under there while they are at it! It is the most permanent way to do it and hopefully by the time I need the facelift or botox they will have come a lot further than they are now in topicals! (One can live in hope!)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes! "snip the muscles"!!! that sounds pretty permanent! You could end up like this gal, Lexi:
Attachment 320
LOL!! She is beautiful! I would have to go mate with an ape then--well then again half the guys I date are a bit ape-like!

Seriously though, it is relatively safe and often they do it by accident during facelifts anyway. I would be very cautious and only would do it if I needed it. I do not seem to have very intense muscles in any of the typical areas, I only have muscle induced lines right next to my mouth which are kind of like dimples but a bit too close to the mouth and I have had them forever. I suppose I am not worried because my face does not have great musculature on the brow or eye areas so losing the muscles would not change much for me. Hopefully this will mean no wrinkles will form there to begin with but who knows?!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have yet to try Botox let alone this! I have mixed feelings about this. From early studies I read previous to when it was approved in USA it seems both are the same form of botulism but Dysport disperses more which makes it good for areas like forehead where there is a plate of muscle and botox is more localised making it safer for areas you do not want to have a lot of spread like the eyes. Johnson and Johnson is also coming out with yet another version of the same toxin.

I think when my time comes I will get the facelift and have them snip the muscles under there while they are at it! It is the most permanent way to do it and hopefully by the time I need the facelift or botox they will have come a lot further than they are now in topicals! (One can live in hope!)
Yes Lexi thats what I heard too, the same form of botulism. So its still Botox.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I will stick to botox thanks-
Why change what you have been doing when it is working. I only make changes when I don't see results.

My doc said it is 5-10% cheaper. I don't know where the 25% difference is, but not here in CA.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
I LOVE those dogs!!! I would love to have one!! I just want to pinch their cheeks-

·
Registered
515 Posts
I will stick to botox thanks-
Why change what you have been doing when it is working. I only make changes when I don't see results.

My doc said it is 5-10% cheaper. I don't know where the 25% difference is, but not here in CA.
Thats because Dysport is marketed more radically , I think dysport gets its botulism from Botox anyway.

·
Registered
713 Posts
OMG!!! The pup should have tried Retin A and Vitamin C Serum!!!

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
Thats because Dysport is marketed more radically , I think dysport gets its botulism from Botox anyway.
Plus it takes more units to get the same results as botox. 75 units of Dysport is roughly equivalent to 25 units of Botox.

So I don't see what the fuss is all about.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Plus it takes more units to get the same results as botox. 75 units of Dysport is roughly equivalent to 25 units of Botox.

So I don't see what the fuss is all about.
Thats free enterprise for you. Everyone is thinking they are getting a safer new drug and its the same . People need to do their research.

·
Administrator
33,823 Posts
YA I don't get what the fuss is all about. It may cost less, but takes more to get the job done. So you do the math-

·
Registered
515 Posts
Here's a more detailed description..................
The differences between Botox and Dysport are actually very small. Both drugs contain the same main ingredient: the botulism toxin. Like Botox, Dysport temporarily immobilizes the muscles that cause facial wrinkles. The drug specifically targets the glabullar muscles of the forehead—the ones that create frowns. What itâ€2122s doing is really blocking the signal between the nerve and the muscle, so when you tell yourself to frown, the muscle really never gets that message.

Injected in small amounts, Dysport and Botox offer the same results with the same side effects, too, mostly bruising at the site, which rarely happens.

Dysport diffuses a bit farther than Botox from the injection point: one to three centimeters compared to Botoxâ€2122s one centimeter. This means that fewer injections are needed, but it also means that the health professional doing the injections must be very skilled to ensure that the drug does not spread to nearby muscles and cause eyelid and/or eyebrow drooping or other unwanted side effects.

There are other differences in the botulinum toxins as well. Dysportâ„¢ seems to have a faster onset, with results beginning to appear within one to seven days of treatment (day three being the median), while Botox takes between three and ten days to become effective (day five being the median).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts