Skin Care Talk banner

MSM - Weight Gain

119291 Views 56 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  gymrat
I was wondering if anyone has noticed weight gain while using MSM supplement ? I started taking it 1000 mg twice daily about a couple months ago. I have noticed that my hair grows faster and has more body...not sure if I noticed a firmer skin. However, I have gained about 3 pounds and it's been quite difficult to lose. I do feel it is water weight since I tend to lose it if I drink a lot of green tea in a day. I also feel more hungry when I take MSM.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
I'm new to the forum, and I can understand why I do not have permission to view links, There is one on this thread about making an msm face cream, but it says I don't have permission to view it? Really not sure how it works so if anyone can advise? Thanks
Hi all, new here. Wanted to tell Noneya that there is a way to test if you all are getting Pure MSM. First take a clear glass, fill half way with water. Put in a small amount of your powder or break open a capsule and pour into water in glass. Look at you water through the glass. MSM is water soluble and should immediately dissolve, almost instantly. If there is crystals or sediment of ANY kind, floating on the water, throughout the water or settled at the bottom...you have a cheap MSM loaded with fillers. MSM dissolves instantly. When shopping for MSM look for OptiMSM on the label. This is supposed to be pure MSM. And there are other certifications for pure MSM. but I have found that manufacturers put natural and pure in bold print and the fillers in very fine print so we have to thoroughly read those labels. I sometimes have allergic reactions to fillers more so than with the actual active ingredient. I havent had any bloating that I noticed but am grateful that my asthma is being helps by MSM. To me, I will take the bloat over the pain and asthma attacks. Thanks for listening and I hope I have helped someone....Check those labels and test you MSM in the glass of water, even if the label claims it is 100% pure MSM, make sure NOTHING else is listed in the ingredients list.
See less See more
It's the opposite for me, i lost weight after taking msm for 2 weeks. My appetite and sweet cravings weren't as bad. Plus i had more energy. I guess msm really reacts differently to different body types.
I think thats happening to im less hungry
I think thats happening to im less hungry
I know it is msm because it is the only supplement i added when i started losing my appetite. But i'm not complaining though. I just don't think about food as much which is weird coz' i am always hungry. And when i eat i easily get full...
Lol yea I got to have a garage sale to get rid of some of this junk in the trunk. Lol
I have read you r post and found it really nice and most interesting post. I would like to say thanks to you that you share this post here with us. I think that you should sleep well and also try to eat well. Anyway i hope that you will continue to post here with us.

HCG Australia | The Story of Fast Effective Fat Loss
I take Vitamin C w/ Rosehips along with my MSM and I haven't experienced any weight gain. In fact it appears I have lost a few inches.
I feel so discouraged about taking msm now. I use to consume it before, I'm not sure if I notice weight gain but I sure do remember feeling bloated. It's such a shame because the benefits are amazing. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the risk of water retention? What other supplements is good for skin and bones. I experience mild joint pains at time and would really like something to help that. Msm helped alot but the boating is not ok. I'm thinking to just stick to small dosages, what ya'll think?
@ fawnie I'm a newbie & can't seem get permission to the link.pls how did u mix the MSM in ur cream. What are the benefits of this? Can I also use it for body cream? Pls help a sis. Anyone knows where I can get a good MSM in Lagos- Nigeria. Any good response will be appreciated. Tnx in advance to all SCT contributors.
Are you ladies that are experiencing bloating or weight gain taking vitamin c along with your msm? I didn't hear that mentioned and I'm wondering if that's a factor. Also we should be drinking lots of water when taking msm to help the detox along.
Oooh well...l was planning to start taking msm as part of my regime but now im a,bit scared. I guess il give it a try and see how it goes,hope if l gain wait it jus goes in tbe right areas..and please..l dnt want insomnia Has anyone experienced insomia..while taking msm?
Hi all, new here. Wanted to tell Noneya that there is a way to test if you all are getting Pure MSM. First take a clear glass, fill half way with water. Put in a small amount of your powder or break open a capsule and pour into water in glass. Look at you water through the glass. MSM is water soluble and should immediately dissolve, almost instantly. If there is crystals or sediment of ANY kind, floating on the water, throughout the water or settled at the bottom...you have a cheap MSM loaded with fillers. MSM dissolves instantly. When shopping for MSM look for OptiMSM on the label. This is supposed to be pure MSM. And there are other certifications for pure MSM. but I have found that manufacturers put natural and pure in bold print and the fillers in very fine print so we have to thoroughly read those labels. I sometimes have allergic reactions to fillers more so than with the actual active ingredient. I havent had any bloating that I noticed but am grateful that my asthma is being helps by MSM. To me, I will take the bloat over the pain and asthma attacks. Thanks for listening and I hope I have helped someone....Check those labels and test you MSM in the glass of water, even if the label claims it is 100% pure MSM, make sure NOTHING else is listed in the ingredients list.
thank you
Definitely caused weight gain for me. I started with 1000mg and gradually moved up to 4000mg. The first couple of days, I got horrible headaches but thankfully it was gone totally within a couple of days.
It however, increased my appetite a lot and in turn made it gain weight. So, for me the weight gain was because of increased appetite rather than water retention.
I stopped taking it and immediately noticed it was easier for me to control portions now.
I started taking it a couple weeks ago and already noticed water retention. So I came searching the internet to see if anyone else noticed the same I have been off about 4 days now and still have water retention. Hoping it goes down soon!
I noticed water retention after only a couple weeks of taking it😬
I noticed water retention after only a couple weeks of taking it😬
Stick with it, it should get better in time. But also be sure you drinking plenty of water daily. Headaches are usually another hidden side effect. They get better in time as well. With any new supplement it will take your body time to adapt.
41 - 57 of 57 Posts