Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this 15% TCA peel from MuAC for more than 2 weeks now. I'm gonna try it right now. Am so scared. Plz pray for me that it all tuns out fine and i get same gr8 results as many others here. Last night did patch testing on my neck n jawline all's fine so far. So decided to try whole face n neck now. didn't know i was such a chicken at heart

One question if no frosting appears for 5 mins should i put it a lil longer or strictly follow the instructions?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi mab001, Good luck!! I've been wanting to do a TCA for a long time but am chicken, plus I work with the public and wouldn't want to scare anyone when I start to peel.
I'm curious how the 15% peel does. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That percent should not do too much nor cause too much pain. I am not sure your pain threshhold though. I did full body with two layers Jessner and two layer 30% TCA yesterday and felt like I was on fire. (I mean torso front and back). I have previously done arms and hands with 30% and legs with 30% which are still peeling. Arms have peeled and are MUCH younger looking with almost no discolouration, and much tighter. I can use one more double layer 30% to get them where I want them but I may actually hold off as the whole process is really time consuming and I just have done my body and legs are still peeling so I have a good two weeks in reality before I am 100% presentable (I live in the tropics it is harder to hide leprosy looking skin). I do want to do my hands once more though which I may do today with the little 30% I have left.

The pain is awful and for the first times you do think (even after the first times) you must be singing yourself and you are going to end up in the burn unit of the local hospital, but it is actually a self-limiting peel. I was more worried that the Jessner was going too deep actually (it is not self-limiting and I can assure you it adds to the pain).

In reality you would need 50% to really screw up and cause permanent scarring so I have been advised. I did burn myself bad but made the mistake of peeling. Any areas you go deep on leave the skin intact, do not peel it prematurely, it is acting as a bandage. You will see as it will be a deep maroon/purple colour. Even so it has healed where I did that.

Just take a deep breath and relax and realise it will pass. The pain is intense but goes away after 5-10 minutes once it is deactivated. The big issue for me is effectiveness and unfortunately because we are all so worried about it what I have learned, and some of the more seasoned peelers like Goatlady know, is that without the frost you are not getting the benefits of TCA. Unless you see a frost you really are just getting the same as you could get with a glycolic, which is a deep superficial peel. The frost (whiteness) is actually the separation of the entire epidermis from the papillary dermis and when you see that you can actually allow it to sit even a but longer (eventhough it kills) and then neutralise. With anything under 30 I do not neutralise at all, I will only neutralise when it is more than one layer of 30% and turning white and stinging and/or I have Jessners underneath. The more "damage" you do to the dermal layer the more remodelling of the skin.

I have also learned that if you turn "brown" enough and look wrinkled and can get just a bit of skin, peeling actually helps. It seems weird because it is so advised against, but there is a look at which point the skin is actually ready to come off. When it can be taken off in a sheet it will not only leave a wet, white almost sensitive skin underneath, but rather than conforming to the wrinkles which are actually your original wrinkling just exaggerated it will bounce into a new form quicker as it is younger tissue and less formed. The longer you leave the skin the more the under skin will grow extra layers of dead epidermis before sloughing off. This can be remedied by continuing some light glycolic peels afterward. You will continue to slough and the skin will continue long after the initial peeling to peel (that is why I say it is at least a two week process).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just finished washing it off n putting antibacterial ointment. well no frosting anywhere except my cheeks where i applied two times in a row. stinking yes but not really bad. does it mean i might hav to re-apply again after few weeks n i didn't do it right this time?
I use no retin-a but was using apple cider vinegar with youghurt everyday for last 2 weeks. So may b that's y this 15% didn't stink me too bad. but lets see. yes will keep u updated Oldgoat. I'm also scared to go outside like this coz i do hav to go out a lot too

PS: after applying the peel i started to jog n dance to distract myself. told ya a chicken

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mab your cheeks will get the best result. Frosting is usually what signs you got down deep. With that level peel you will probably have little issues but for the cheeks. Most will start to brown in two days, peel in three to five days and be done in 7 or so. It is not the first day or two, it is like 3-7 that is awful. I have been largely stuck indoors since I embarked in this entire body go which was because I was going to be stuck indoors due to some oral surgery, it is now 3 weeks and I am stir crazy. I can only go out minimally and that is why I am opting to wait and hit everything again in a few months rather than now though I am tempted to do it now while I know the skin is thinner and the frosting will happen faster with less and reach deeper.

It is really something that could use a "retreat" like a 6 week full body tca peel retreat where you go with a group of friends and there are activities, excercises, feel good stuff etc. It is very isolating otherwise. I mean I seriously look like a lepor on my legs. They are horrible and my arms were too and now soon my body will be just as my legs start to look normal. I have skin droppings around my house, looks like snake people live here!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I recently put 18% in 2 layers on my mom's face on some of her darker brown spots. I also did her chest with 30%. On the first layer of 30% NO frosting she said it stung but not bad, then I put on the 2nd layer and it frosted some and she did say the stinging was more intense but tolerable. I had to leave after doing it on a short vacation and I am still away but she told me the spots on her face peeled and the brown areas are now PINK new skin she wanted to do it again on her other spots! After a couple of days she did say her chest was a bit red and stung some. Her chest was HEAVILY sun damaged and very wrinkled. I really should have done a before pic on her. Can't wait to hear how the peeling goes on her chest. She seemed happy with her face. I agree with everything Lexi said, the frosting is where you are going to get the "best peel" and I have found the same experiences she described. When I get back from vacation I will start doing my arms and hands with the 30%

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lexi u r really bold to use that %. i might use 2 layers next time but since this was 1st time so i tried hard to b patient and careful. Although i do hav temptation to reapply as i too guess my skin will not peel off at the level i wanted it to. but even if cheeks giv me good results that will b worth the hassle. My large pores and scars on cheeks r my biggest flaw. Other places i might reapply are my neck n my chin. My chin is quite darker as compared to rest of my face and stands out while my neck has developed lots of skintags and two very deep round rings. Do u think Neck area is more stubborn? Also Lexi although the instructions advised not to use near eyes but has anyone here applied it for under eyes wrinkles n crowfeet with success?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now I'm wishing i should hav applied two layers n not followed the instructions

but no prob its just 2 more weeks n i'll do it again or may b sooner if i heal within a week

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
try to wait at least 3 weeks mab give your skin plenty of time to rebuild and heal then do it again.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3 weeks r a lot but i think i can do it. fingers crossed. when u wanna get beautiful don't u wanna do it in a blink

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I recently put 18% in 2 layers on my mom's face on some of her darker brown spots. I also did her chest with 30%. On the first layer of 30% NO frosting she said it stung but not bad, then I put on the 2nd layer and it frosted some and she did say the stinging was more intense but tolerable. I had to leave after doing it on a short vacation and I am still away but she told me the spots on her face peeled and the brown areas are now PINK new skin she wanted to do it again on her other spots! After a couple of days she did say her chest was a bit red and stung some. Her chest was HEAVILY sun damaged and very wrinkled. I really should have done a before pic on her. Can't wait to hear how the peeling goes on her chest. She seemed happy with her face. I agree with everything Lexi said, the frosting is where you are going to get the "best peel" and I have found the same experiences she described. When I get back from vacation I will start doing my arms and hands with the 30%
Your mother gave me the courage to do the double layer 30% on my chest (the girls included). They are purple, a deep peel that means, but the freckles are black which means they will be gone. I will not lie, as I did the whole body one side at a time, there were times I was on the verge of tears. I also did a Jessner underneath and it definitely stings more. The one thing that I have done, is photos as you saw. So my after will be able to be documented. Your mother is a tough cookie, I was jumping around the bathroom it was awful. Today, day two after peel, I am in pain more an uncomfortable sunburn like pain. The skin is red and it hurts. I do want to use the rest of this batch to do the upper arms and the hands if I have enough. My hands are so much younger and literally need just one more deep enough go to look like a 20 somethings.

I now believe you can resurface and you can do it at home and save 10's of thousands (I am sure it would have cost me multiple treatments and thousands per treatment to do all that I have wanted). I must admit, I may have to enlist help for the back, it is very uneven with some red patches, some white areas that look untouched, there is just no feasible way and I trust so few people without experience to do it.

So far arms and hands have the most profound effect but these are also the only areas completely peeled already. I am very excited.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
i just finished washing it off n putting antibacterial ointment. well no frosting anywhere except my cheeks where i applied two times in a row. stinking yes but not really bad. does it mean i might hav to re-apply again after few weeks n i didn't do it right this time?
I use no retin-a but was using apple cider vinegar with youghurt everyday for last 2 weeks. So may b that's y this 15% didn't stink me too bad. but lets see. yes will keep u updated Oldgoat. I'm also scared to go outside like this coz i do hav to go out a lot too

PS: after applying the peel i started to jog n dance to distract myself. told ya a chicken
That is nothing, I know what to expect and each time I still panic that I am singing my skin and will end up with third degree burns in a burn unit. It is an irrational reaction to pain. I was jumping in and out of a shower contemplating turning the cold water on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Now I'm wishing i should hav applied two layers n not followed the instructions

but no prob its just 2 more weeks n i'll do it again or may b sooner if i heal within a week
I have been so tempted too - but then I think what happens if something goes terribly wrong???

Soon, you will know how much and how often! Better to be safe than sorry.

Sounds like you are doing great!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update: its day 4 today. Although i seem like withered n wrinkled. i don't see any flaking so far. God its taking ages. am using no moisturizer at all just my sun screen which makes me enuf greasy.
this 15% did nothing for my neck n chin. now i ordered 21% last nite. should i try it on neck n chin only while use 15% for rest of face? i'm also thinking abt my dark elbows n knees now.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I don't normally peel by day four unless I have Retin A to put on it and it helps. But you are close if you are crinkly give it a good 2 more days. If you have some oil rub some on your face before you shower and take a warm cloth and lay it the area then shower and use your cleanser. You may peel when you are drying if it is ready. Again slow and steady it will happen especially if you frosted any.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yes GoatLady slow n steady.... i like this phrase too n keep repeating it myself. wat will oil/warm cloth combo does? does it moiturize. i'm purposely not using any moisturizer so it dries up fast n comes off. or should i?
i'll try it tonite b4 shower...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
yes GoatLady slow n steady.... i like this phrase too n keep repeating it myself. wat will oil/warm cloth combo does? does it moiturize. i'm purposely not using any moisturizer so it dries up fast n comes off. or should i?
i'll try it tonite b4 shower...
If it was real superficial a week and a half is enough and may even be good (less outer layer to break through). The warm can help slought off skin.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
After 4 days you can do this and it should as Lexi said slough off the dead layer that is crinkly. It worked for me after using RA for a couple of days. I just don't do anything except the ointment the first 24 hours. when I get dry and crinkly I start the RA then by day 4 the oil/warm compressing to make it slough off.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts