Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very interesting, actually.

He told me that I had a natural condition called keratosis pilaris but in mild form (goosebump like skin on the back of my arms). He says most people with dark skin have this.

Ive noticed that these 'goosebumps' lighten first before the other skin does. I didnt divulge that I had been using HQ as i knew all Id get was a slap on a wrist and a lecture about how dangerous it was, and he did when I mentioned 'lightening'.

I explained I just wanted something to even out the tone to see what he would say. He had no suggestions. Obviously I know how to achieve this already I just wanted to see what he would say.

I did tell him about retina and the sensitivity i was experiencing on the gentler parts of my skin/body and he presribed me differin. He said that while it is similar to retina, it is not has harsh and would help combat any 'acne' like breakouts.

He examined my face as I said i was worried about uneveness, but he said that he could hardly notice much difference, my skin tone was warm and that it looked ok. My thought was 'of course its look ok and even cause ive been using the bloody arbutin and HQ to even out my damn face!'

My skin tone was anything but warm before i started this.

After seeing the UK derm, this has helped me confirm that my face, while lighter is even and progressing well, and that I have a gentler substitute for retina which I will take on.

Coupled with my with glycolic acid cream which will help with renewal and lightening regimen, i think im on the right path.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I got a smile reading this.
I love going to the Dermatologist!

It is true, Differin is much easier on the skin than Retin A. I used it for acne as well. It isn't as drying as the Retin A can be.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I dont know about the doctors in other countries, but the doctors/dermatologists here in the U.S. are very insensitive and they almost seemed to not care about the patients and just blindly write prescriptions. I know my dermatologist, she just takes a quick glimpse and then writes a prescription, she has probably given me a total of 10 prescriptions in the past 8 months some of them contradicting each other. Thats why im compelled to do my own research and find whats best for me, although I shouldnt be doing that as Im paying a certified professional to treat my problems.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Thank You Gymrat, from reading your other posts, you probably had similar experiences
. I feel like we have done so much research and digging on skin conditions and how to treat them that we should all become dermatologists b/c we can genuinely empathize LOL. I probably should have gone to medical school for that but I'm more than half way down the road to becoming a civil engineer.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
From both sides of the pond, at least most American doctors actually know what medications are available. I would not wish a national health on USA or any country.

BTW I used differin when I was like 24 or so, my ex-husband had acne and his doctor gave it to him but he never used it so I did and started using it as it seemd to tighten my pores, later I also used it to treat around my eyes. At the time I was only vaguely familiar with it as it was quite new. It is very good and well worth using and like Gymrat said does not irritate as much if at all.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
Thank You Gymrat, from reading your other posts, you probably had similar experiences
. I feel like we have done so much research and digging on skin conditions and how to treat them that we should all become dermatologists b/c we can genuinely empathize LOL. I probably should have gone to medical school for that but I'm more than half way down the road to becoming a civil engineer.
Isn't that the truth. After going through all that I have gone through I feel like I have been through medical school and back!!
You definately have to be your own health care advocate. No one is going to do that job for you, so you have to step up and do it yourself.

Congrats to the civil engineer career, thats a great secure line of work.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I am glad that your research and skin care journey has secured and now you're stable and shall I say content? My acne has gotten better, but its not over so im still on the Retin-A road.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I am glad that your research and skin care journey has secured and now you're stable and shall I say content? My acne has gotten better, but its not over so im still on the Retin-A road.
What all have you tried for your acne? Is it mild, severe, or just a pain in the rear?

I tried just about everything for mine. It can be so frustrating. Do this, do that, and still have it. It was a constant battle for me for a long time. Didn't matter what I tried or what I took, still had it. I can honestly say, I went 10 years or more without having 1 clear face day.
That can be very disappointing. Finding what works for you is the hardest part. I ended up on Accutane, and knock on wood, I have been completely blimish free since January.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Yeah accutane is the last resort, big guns. It was mild but then around 18 I got the cystic ones right when I started the treatments with differin and all of that, then it went back down to normal and almost nothing for the whole winter and spring with a few here and there now its back in the summer. You are right, it was discouraging and it still is but what are you going to do?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
If you seem to be worse in the summer, maybe sweat could be the cause? Yep, had the cystic myself. Those hurt and most times will leave a scar. I had only a couple scars, but was able to get rid of them with peels.

You know Differin worked for me for awhile. Here are a few other topicals that might be worth trying. Benzaclin, Azelex and Klaron. If you haven't given those a try, it might just be the answer for you-

Best of luck!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience at the derm. The last time I went to see one, the guy said "You're obviously pending waaay too much time out in the sun."
*SIGH* . Your derm (while perhaps clueless about lightening) seemed to actually be interested in helping you as a patient! Great! Someone else was talking about differin too (Sandia1 over in anti-aging, I think). Funny how the very thing pne person mentions suddenly begins popping up all over the place. Please clue us in re differin & how it wors for you as compared to the RA. This may be a good option for some of the lighteners who are having trouble with RA.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys, will definitely keep you updated.

The derm was very helpful, but just not with the lightening part. such a taboo here. Any other aspect of nhs - ive always been grateful and pleased with it. Its just some doctors have different beliefs, one may support abortion for instance, another may not, so rather than it being nhs, i reckon its the individual doctor/practice.

I would love to have gone to med school, (i would have been a phlebotomist i reckon) but i would have loved to do dermatology.

Instead, its oh so exciting network engineering/comms! Oh well.

@lighten - best wishes for the civil engineering career x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts