Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
My skin is extremely dry and it gets really bad, specially in the winter. My personal experience - I exfoliate daily for a week and use simple nivea cream mixed with my prescribed oitment( I have dermatytis) for this area, and I'm happy with the fast healing results. I've tried using natural honey mixed with egg yolk, but it just iritated my skin, caused an allergic reaction, while on healthy skin it works magic.
Take care!

· Registered
154 Posts
Does 2 or 3 drops really do it for you people? I have big-*** hands so it takes a few globs just to 'prime' my hands whenever I use a product. I use so much stuff it's not even funny. I don't dab the dots on my face either. I do it the man's old fashion way and just slather product on the face and scrub it in. HA!
If you use too much oil it can cause you to break out the trick is to use the oil on a wet/damp face and just a few drops will work. You are not trying to make your skin feel greasy just moisturised.

· Registered
16 Posts
My skin is extremely dry and it gets really bad, specially in the winter. My personal experience - I exfoliate daily for a week and use simple nivea cream mixed with my prescribed oitment( I have dermatytis) for this area, and I'm happy with the fast healing results. I've tried using natural honey mixed with egg yolk, but it just iritated my skin, caused an allergic reaction, while on healthy skin it works magic.
Take care!
Be careful with exfoliating daily, you maybe damaging your acid mantle. Your acid mantle is the protective layer of sebum (oil) that wards off infection, bacteria and reaction. That maybe why you had an allergic reaction, although, honey and eggs are very high allergens, Im not surprised you reacted. It may seem like the exfoliation is working for now, but you may see some damage down the road. I suggest cutting back to 3 times a week. Also, nivea is ok, but there are more nourishing products available. See a good, experienced beauty therapist and let them do a skin analysis and make some suggestions.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Oh my goodness

noooo.

If you rub your face hard like that youll end up with wrinkles a lot earlier. Especially around your eyes.
Well perhaps I exagerated a bit, I don't exactly beat my skin to hell either. I was rather emphasizing the fact that I can't do the little dots in upright motion thing. I use product and lots of it. Heh heh

· Registered
21 Posts
Very interesting Mayo. I will give it a shot and let everyone know if it works. So what do I do? Do I put it on like a moisturizer and leave it on all day or do I wash it off? A little more info would be helpful. Thanks!

Ivy what kind of oils do you use? where can I buy it.
Ya you leave it on all day and at the end of the day your face feels smoothe as a babys bottom

· Registered
23 Posts
I just thought of another thing to try. At night after washing your face put on a thin layer of Vaseline. If your hands are really dry, go out an buy some of those cheap stretchy gloves for Winter, before bed, put some Vaseline on your hands and then put the gloves on so you don't get Vaseline on everything. Vaseline works great for dryness.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
I'd avoid using vaseline, specially for the face. It's a petroleum product to begin with, not exactly the best foundation for a facial cream. Moreover, it's too thick and greasy even when applied lightly. There are better alternative if you want to go extreme such as cocoa butter, but even that I'd think twice about before using.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
I would suggest trying Camellia,Almond and perhaps Jojoba oils to start with. Just 2-3 drops on damp skin, either spray your face or use it when you get out of the shower. The water helps to spread the oil and it just soaks right in, don't use too much though. Coconut Oil is another one you might try although some people find this a bit drying although I never have, Argan Oil is a bit heavier but you can just experiment and even mix a drop or two of each. You can find most of these oils at Whole Foods or buy online I get most of mine from Garden of Wisdom but you may also be able to find them at health food stores. All of these oils are inexpensive so you can try several. Hope this helps.
Try rubbing almond oil or jojoba oil on wet skin. They are good skin moisturisers.

· Registered
38 Posts
Well I have read all the helpful hints that you were given but I noticed that knowbody suggested using Aloe Vera. Aloe is very healing, moisturizing and it is Antibacterial, Antifungal, soothing and very good for you in many ways. Now the trick with Aloe is that there are about 327 different types of Aloe. Although they are all good, you want to find one that is 100% pure. 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel is great to use and I use it and it is wonderful. I suffer from severe dry skin and exzema. I actully found this Aloe based cream calles Infinate Aloe, that I am trying, it is 60 bucks for 8oz. So I really hope that it works. It is 100% money back gaurantee if I am not happy so, I am not to worried about the cost. I would seriously try ALOE and see if that helps you!!

· Registered
2 Posts
Hey! I used to have the same problem. My skin was really dry, especially in winter. First I thought that it was connected with weather somehow (I used to live in Russia, but we moved to States 1/2 year ago)... But the state of my skin didn't change! I was desperate, because I tried so many moisturising lotions (I'm mentioning Curel, Neutrogena, well you know all these oily stuff) and they didn't help my skin a lot, except that I had a feeling of something artificial put on my face all the time. And then I was advised to go to dermatologist and he explained me that the reason was in my food regimen. So I start looking for a special diet (because I don't want to gain any extra weight) and found a website that changed my idea about food. (beautifulonraw.com) I have just submitted this concept of life, but I've noticed that I don't have as many problems with my skin as I used to have!!! Tonya's books really helped me with this! I advise you to start with "Your Right To Be Beautiful". It's my favorite one!

· Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hey! I used to have the same problem. My skin was really dry, especially in winter. First I thought that it was connected with weather somehow (I used to live in Russia, but we moved to States 1/2 year ago)... But the state of my skin didn't change! I was desperate, because I tried so many moisturising lotions (I'm mentioning Curel, Neutrogena, well you know all these oily stuff) and they didn't help my skin a lot, except that I had a feeling of something artificial put on my face all the time. And then I was advised to go to dermatologist and he explained me that the reason was in my food regimen. So I start looking for a special diet (because I don't want to gain any extra weight) and found a website that changed my idea about food. (beautifulonraw.com) I have just submitted this concept of life, but I've noticed that I don't have as many problems with my skin as I used to have!!! Tonya's books really helped me with this! I advise you to start with "Your Right To Be Beautiful". It's my favorite one!
I definitely want to read that book has anyone else read it that it has worked for?

My face is no longer as dry like it was before yay!
I mean it is still dry without moisturizer but once I put moisturizer on now it works. I think it is all the products I use for my face that was recommended by my dermatologist for acne. Now my face is soft, less dry, and acne getting better.

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Here's another suggestion: from the Cellex-C line the product called Hydra B-5 Complex; your need only 2 drops to do your entire face; the product soaks in almost immediately; it works beneath the surface of the skin to hydrate it. You do need to apply a moisturizer on top if your skin is very dry. Because my skin tends to be oily, in the summer I use this product in place of a moisturizer, it hydrates yet once applied you don't even know the product is there.

· Registered
28 Posts
I know that it sounds as though putting oil on would clog pores but it does not.
I have to agree with Ivy. We have been programed by skincare and cosmetics companies that oil is not good for your skin. But nature intended our skin to be hydrated by oil (sebum), for many it is just a matter of regulating it (we either have too much or too little)

There are some really great commercial skin oils...

Dr. Hauschka
Decleor
Sundari

If you have oily skin, ylang ylang oil is an excellent oil normalizer.

You can also mix your own oils very easily. A lot of these places charge and outrageous amount for something that costs a couple bucks to make. It is as simple as finding a formula that you like, looking at the ingrediants (which are usually minimal) and mixing it up. You can find most of your ingredients at whole foods. Many major brands are also offering face oils now...brands such as laura mercier and bobbi brown to name a few.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.