Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh I am so depressed today. I wish some of the luck all of you are having would rub off on me. I had my shower this morning and VERY gently rolled off a lot of dead skin, and now my face is bright red, and even brownish. It just looks worse than ever
. I hope this is just a temporary setback. I need to look nice today because it is my sister's birthday party. Maybe I should just use HQ4% and forget about the RA for a while. I don't know. I used HQ4% alone for a few months a couple of years ago and it did nothing
. I'm actually crying right now because I don't know what to do. Sorry everyone, just a bad day. I feel like I'm just not supposed to have my lovely clean, clear face, fair face. I HATE what years of the sun has done to me. I look after my face to the extreme, and never even let the sun touch it, wear a stupid had inside under the lights, eat right, and it looks like I work outdoors and don't use any sun protection or anything. Why????? I HATE IT SO MUCH.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I'm so sorry to read about yr experience! You might be too sensitive for the Hq/RA blend OR you may have to use it less often & rely more on the HQ. Then again...something siilar happened to me too at first. As the RA exfoliated the upper layers of dead skin, the more sun- damaged browner layers became even more visible (as they neared the surface). I even posted about that somewhere here saying that I never realized just how much sun damage I was carrying around! This may be what is happening to you: if so, it is a good thing as those damaged layers will begin to shed off over time too.

You absolutely CAN have the gorgeous skin you want. Think of how long it took for you to get that sun damage; now compare how much less time it'll take to get rid of it. It won't happen overnight (just like the damage took time to set in) but if you're gentle & careful, you'll get there. For the RA redness, just wait a few days until it goes B4 applying the RA again. It is strong stuff. Don't give up on yourself yet!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Karenannev, sweetie dont be depressed, you have been using the 0.1 REtin A, the strongest percentage right? start using the 0.5% retin-A cream, as it can be a very tolerable and less drying/irritation, go to the store and get some vitamin E oil and rub it over, and use an essential oil cleanser to wash your face as its be extra moisturizing, and along with the HQ 4% use a good antioxidant moisturizer and forget the likas for now since its a soap and i can be DRYING, u dont need that much dryness, yeah in the beginning stages you will be look very RAW its because its trying to adjust to the whole REtin-A and HQ process but once you get over that, it takes like a month or two even to get over it then you'll be looking great.

MY ADVICE ON TOP OF THE ABOVE: bear with it for at least 3 months and WHEN you have to go to special events and such order something from the internet called DERMABLEND, its a special camoflauge./makeup that are used to even out skin tone for people like us who are going through this process, people with vitiligo, and if you wanna cover up scars and tattoos.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
LNL. you sure give a lot of good advice! Dermablend is great stuff. You can now get it at many regular pharmacies so you can try it out to make an exact match. If you get the powder to apply over the concealer, it is waterproof & you can swim in it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
When I had a bad morning and was sensitive to the RA I did as LnL suggested and used Vit E oil or sweet almond oil even Emu whatever I had within reach. It is SOOOO soothing and it feels good to just let your skin rest a couple of days. Just let it take a breather and try again in a couple of days. That is what I did and I felt better. You will to just a bad start but it was that way for me to!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much you two, I mean three
. I'm feeling a little better now. Housework is done, face is toned down a bit with my sunblock and my good old standby, Johnson's pure cornstarch powder. It is very soothing and always tones everything down. Still not great but not as bad as this morning. At least my HQ doesn't sting. I just said to my 4 year old 'sorry mommy is a bit sad today, I'm just sick of my spots' and he says, 'are you using your new creams' and I said 'yes' and he says 'are they working' and I said 'not yet, it will probably take a long time'. I should just listen to myself
. He is so clever, though. What a lucky mom I am. Anyway, got diverted a bit. LNL I already only use 0.05%. I really think it's just my overcleansing/getting rid of the flakes so I can look nice that is doing it. I just CAN'T go to work etc, looking flaky. I wonder if maybe I only use RA every two nights but also only put something like 4 parts HQ to 1 part RA or something? There has just got to be a magic formula for me.

Thanks for the advice on the Dermablend. I'll keep it in mind for sure. I prefer not to have to wear foundation lately, though as I was a slave to heavy makeup for years and just think I look better without it. I just so want to get my skin looking so good that it looks like I have foundation on but I don't. But I'll keep it in mind.

Anyway, again thanks so much for the advice and for caring. Right now ever the optimist that I am, I'm consoling myself with the thought that once the redness wears away, it might look OK again, and hopefully tonight if I just keep the cornstarch powder packed on today, by tonight at the party it will look OK. And I'll probably skip the whole routine tonight to give my face a night off.

Ondine I soooo hope you're right about the old skin coming to the surface. What's frustrating is I KNOW there is some nice skin under there. After about two months of Meladerm I got so excited because there were a lot of really gorgeous pale sections, but they just seemed to be temporary and then I plateaud. It's just so confusing! I just want that colour so badly!! Like you said in another really good post of yours 'what nature gave me'. And like my gorgeous little boy's facial colour which should be my colour.

Gee this has gotten long. Sorry to rave on but it is so good to have someone to talk to about all of this. NOBODY else in my life understands and I can't talk to my husband. He just gets frustrated and completely doesn't understand.

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Your magic formula is: patience, time & a gentle hand.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ondine, can you put my mind at ease. I probably shouldn't be looking at other negative info out there but maybe I'm one of the unlucky ones. I just read this from someone with melasma:

'I had also used a conjuction of Retin-A and HQ in the past - I don't remember seeing much lightening, but I sure did rebound after I stopped using it!'

Let's hope she just didn't do it right or went in the sun or something. I can't help but feel there's no hope for me. If it inhibits melanin production it HAS to work for me, right? I so need some more hope and reassurance. I just want to get on here and say 'OMG everyone, my face is lightening!!'.

·
Registered
258 Posts
karenanne , i feel for you so badly cuz i can def relate to ur situation, like i said before plz stop with the retin a for now , its only going to make the situation worse, and try not to wash your face so much that will only irritate it more, wash ur face no more then twice a day in the morn when u wake up , and at night before u go to sleep, keep ur face moisturized, i apply a line layer of vit e oil before i go to sleep, it soaks in really well and keeps it hydrated all night, good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
karenanne , i feel for you so badly cuz i can def relate to ur situation, like i said before plz stop with the retin a for now , its only going to make the situation worse, and try not to wash your face so much that will only irritate it more, wash ur face no more then twice a day in the morn when u wake up , and at night before u go to sleep, keep ur face moisturized, i apply a line layer of vit e oil before i go to sleep, it soaks in really well and keeps it hydrated all night, good luck!!!
Thanks Krazycee, I will definitely get some oil to put on at night. I do only wash my face twice a day, but too vigorously I think, just to get the flakes off. I'm thinking of using perhaps a 1/4 of the retin A to the HQ and only every other night and hopefully that will settle things down, but still work. I hope so, anyway.

·
Registered
258 Posts
ya i used to vigourously wash my face, but it only irritated my skin more, you have to let the flakes shed off on its on, the oil should get it to come off. oh and plz give up the retin a for a while, your skin needs a break, you can always start back when your skin heals up, and next time u start use it every other day or every third day.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Its ok hun, i know the exact feeling, I believed I posted something earlier about the Redness and the RA. I gave up on RA for a few days and all the flakes came off and the redness subsided. Sometimes you just need to give it a break. Trust me my face was the mess as well. It healed in a day or two. Quit the RA for a while and replace it with the Moisturizer like we talked about. Everyone is here to help, and the advice from LNL and ondine is great too. So dont worry, ditch RA for 2days and replace with moisturizer and your skin will DEFINITELY look amazing.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
So sorry Karenannev, I know how it feels to put so much effort for your skin to look a certain way and then everything falls a part. Reminds me how my skin had a bad reaction and had swollen with a bad breakout, I was so upset. I hope your skin improves and that it is only temporary and that underneath will be glowing bright skin. If you still see it isnt improving, then possibly sut back a bit and moisturize more.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You always look worse before you get better with this stuff. x

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Never worry about long posts: people here are, for the most part, avid readers. Most of us can also empathize with your bad experiences in one way or another & the accompanying anxiety. You post as much as you like as often as you feel like it.

The person whose negative response you quoted is someone with melasma: an ACTIVE hyperpigmentation disorder often hormonally related. YOU have old sun damage. NOT the same thing. Many melasma patients treat the symptom (the hyperpigmentation) BUT not the cause (some hormone imbalance) so as soon as they stop using the cream & step out into the sun, the condition returns with a vengeance.

Ninasky is correct that with RA you typically look worse B4 you look better. Remember: you have an accumulation of dead skin cells that have been sitting there for years. When we see those flakes, we tend to think of them as a single layer of skin. This is not the case: the flake represents many many layers of skin. Think of it: 90% o/t sun damage you see on the face of a 50 yr old woman occurred B4 she turned 18! This gives you an idea of how deep the damage is & how, as the RA strips layers away, the bad skin will become more visible B4 it too sheds away. This is not theory, but fact. The RA brand's product monograph mentions this as well as the fact that acne sufferers will seem to see their acne get worse B4 it gets better. THis is because the acne lesions beneath the skin (those ugly pinkish bumps acne sufferers get) are now being revealed in their scarlet glory because of exfoliation. Some call this the purging stage. I looked like a LEPER at first with my dark (at that time) red skin & all that grey ashy shedding. Asleep, I must've looked like a corpse that was past its prime!

Please resist the temptation to pick at or rub at the flakes. Grit yr teeth, apply the oil & be extra gentle. If you are too red or sore, buffer the RA by applying yr oil or an extra gentle moisturizing cream first.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
Ondine, so I made the HQ cream last night and its only fofr hte face and neck , I think it will last me more than a week, do you think itll turn born after a week or can I push it to two weeks?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
This is my 1st batch of 10% too so I can't tell you for sure! We may get lucky & discover that it lasts longer than we thought B4 going brown on us...WE'll keep our fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts