Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum, but have been reading about skin lightening for months now. Gee where do I start??

I am 46 years old, and although I look much younger, my face has for as long as I can remember been about ten shades darker than the rest of my ivory white body. Years of being in the sun in my childhood with no sun protection back in the 70s has ruined it for life it seems. For as long as I can remember, I have wanted my face pale to match the rest of my body. It looks like I have brown foundation on. I HATE it so much I can't even begin to tell you.

Anyway, I have been using Meladerm for almost three months now and have seen improvements. What I am confused about is that I have days where I see parts of my face a gorgeous english rose ivory colour, like the rest of my body and I get so excited, like yesterday for example. Then today it looks dirty again. What am I doing wrong???

My routine is a salicylic acid cleanser every morning and night followed by my Meladerm, wait ten minutes and then apply sunscreen. I totally avoid the sun, looking like an crazy woman puting my arm/hand up even to dive from my car to a shop for a three metre walk. I can't bear the sun touching my skin, I've become so paranoid.

I have a theory that maybe the darkness that keeps coming is my skin purging itself of pigment or something. Does anyone know? I am hoping that gradually it will be completely purged and then stay pale. I am really counting on that at the moment.

Oh also I take a heaped teaspoon of MSM and 2000mg of Vitamin C, morning and night. Does anyone have any advice. Today my skin looks dirty again, when yesterday it looked pretty pale in most places.

Sorry this is so long!

Karen

·
Registered
356 Posts
"I totally avoid the sun, looking like an crazy woman puting my arm/hand up even to dive from my car to a shop for a three metre walk. I can't bear the sun touching my skin, I've become so paranoid."

LOL
I do the same. I am not sure what causes this. I am dealing with something similar. I wish I had more helpful info to give you. Hopefully someone will advise you soon.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Karenannev.

We are very close in age as I turn 45 in Nov. The sun really did a number on you! This happened to a lot of people here (me included). I didn't realize how much of my darkness was due to sun damage until my Dr told me so. Since I am from a multi ethnic bkgd, I just thought I was natrually that dark!
My initial rapid lightening was due, in a large part, to the well documented increased effect of certain lightening agents on hyperpigmented skin.

I can see where that dull masked look would be unflattering on a white body. Mt step daughter is white & I insist she wear a strong sunblock & NOT lie out in the sun. I've shown her that a pretty suntan now can lead to an elephant hide complexion filled with blotches & wrinkles later. Since she loves the look of a tan, she can use a good sunless tanner BUT no tanning beds.

Meladerm is not the most effective thing for what you are trying to achieve. Please go to the thread "Hey I'm a newbie & I could really use your help" by prtybrn . In that thread, I describe a routine that includes alternating between generic (Hydroquinone) HQ4% & (Retin A aka Tretinoin) RA in varying strengths. The RA will speed the cell turnover & exfoliation of that perma-tanned skin. It also boosts collagen production for an overall younger looking skin.

My avatar photo was taken a few days ago. I am completely un made-up. I credit the RA for the smooth poreless finish on my skin. It is doing the same for my 72 yr old mother whose skin is looking better now than it did 20 yrs ago so there's plenty of hope for you yet!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, Goldenfireempress, I'm glad I'm not the only one
. And thanks Ondina, I will have a look at that thread. Sorry if my replies are hours later, but I'm in Australia so wrote these while you guys were probably asleep.

I actually did use Retin A for years and loved the results on lines/wrinkles, but still had the dark face. And I used Hydroquinone 2% for about a year, moved up to 4% for about six months with no results at all!!! So incredibly disheartening. I never combined them, though. Meladerm has given me light patches I've never had before, even on 4% hydroquinone, so I'm a bit scared to stop and try something else. Maybe the natural ingredients are what work for my skin better. I will have a good look at the link though. Maybe I should be trying Retin-A with Meladerm? I hate the thought of my face getting red again, though
. Do you think there is any chance that if I keep doing what I'm doing, that eventually all the darkness will stop coming through? Today I look paler than yesterday. Grrr, so confusing!!!

Anyway, thanks again and I'll go and have a look at that thread now

1 - 4 of 4 Posts