Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Sorry I didn't introduce myself in the Intro thread, but since I discovered this forum, I am obsessed with reading almost everything in DIY and anti-aging section, doing other cross-references as well , and it only occur to me to register to the forum few weeks ago

I'm in my late 40's. I've got problems with aging skin, under-eye bags and puffiness, some age spots..I've read about suppliers and different products good for the skin etc.. read about different people's experience, and finally decided to produce my first vit.C serum and day anti-aging cream.
There's a lot of threads on Kassie's recipe for the C serum, which is the one I follow, but little on the moisturizers and day creams. I'd like also to point out that I made this cream for 2 other family members, which they all used for as long as I have, and every one is very satisfied with the feel, and the results. I'm really happy to announce that my horizontal forehead wrinkles are almost GONE!!! Never experienced any rash, or burning, and my skin feels smoother, the pores are smaller and those stubborn black heads are also diminishing. I have to say also that I'm using Retin-A 0.05% every other night.
So here's the recipe I'd like to share, I'm open for comments, add-ons and critiques. You can also post your own recipes if you decide to share

All the ingredients are from Skinactives and Lotioncrafters, recipe is for 4 oz cream.

Base: 50/50 base and european cream- total of 5 tbs
Ingredients:
Ferulic acid - 1%
Co-enzyme Q10 - 1%
Matrixyl- 3%
Resveratrol -2%
Anti-oxidant booster - 1%
ALA- 2%
Green Tea Extract- 2%
SesaFlash - 5%
NaPCa- 2%
Syn-Coll- 2%
Argilerine- 2%
Multifruit- 4%
Lactic Acid- 2%
Jojoba Oil- 2%
Vit.E - 2%
SKB - 4%
ELSerum - 1%
Hyaluronic Acid- 1%

Measurements(approximately)-
1%= 1.2gr= 1/4 tsp
2%= 2.4gr= 1/2 tsp
4%= 4.8gr= 1 tsp

It's a little bit thin as of now, but I'm thinking of adding some thickener in my next batch.But I like that it soaks right in as it is.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
By the way the C serum is thin but like you said it soaks right in which I like so no problems there!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the Canvas Base Cream From Skin Actives
www skinactives com/product/detail.aspx?prodID=20

Sorry I can not post links yet

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, LNL, I lost my chances to patent this formula, now that I've posted it here

But thank you, I value your professional opinion very much!

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
crikey thats a lot of ingredients damn i wish i culd get hold of all that easily and with minimum cost!!!

Ivet how much did all of that cost you if you dont mind me asking- save me going through them all with my calculator!!

*goes off to take out a loan!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As I've mentioned above I gave away to 4 family members & still have more for months ahead... so overall I have fresh cream with high % active ingredients at low price & I'm very happy about that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Angel Hair... I'm with you! What a fantastic recipe! But I am a newbie and am still learning, and boy do I have ALOT to learn!! So Ivet, I will also be waiting if you have an approx price...

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ivet how do you mix this? Do you heat it at any time and is there a certain order that you mix the ingredients?

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Will this work with oily skin, prone to blackheads?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Beautysleep it depends on your base cream. I am trying to find one that is better for oily skin. See my base cream thread I just posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Angel Hair... I'm with you! What a fantastic recipe! But I am a newbie and am still learning, and boy do I have ALOT to learn!! So Ivet, I will also be waiting if you have an approx price...
Wow ladies, my husband didnt aks me that question but the answer is simple - I've desided to make myself a nice Christmas present and I dont regret at all. I spent aroung $ 130 to buy the ingredients and so far I've made 5 vitamin C serums and 5 x almost 50 g of the cream (please do not forget it's not for me only) and still have bunch of stuff (in dark storage place & my fridge) for a year ahead... If you devide by 10 it is a pretty good price for C serum & cream combo. And it's not just a regular cream - it has more than 40% active ingredients. I just have to buy more Canvas Base Cream which is $ 6 only from SAS. So enough with the price.

re: my wrinkles - my mistake here... let's call them fine lines, I'm still 40 something... you know...please do not imagine 70 yrs wrinkles...

Also I'm not saying they are diminishing because of the cream only. It's a complex of using all the things I've learned here - retin A, vit C serum, masks, microdermabrasion cloth (btw I've bought it from ebay for $7 including shipping 14" x 14" & cut it in 4 pieces - so it's less than 2 bucks each)
And all this is because of this forum & the wonderful people here, so knowledgeable & experienced, and so patient to answer every question - Thank you all so much!!! I's been an awesome experience so far!

re: Mixing - there is no particular order except for the oil-based ones. Those I mix into SKB, when done I add them to the main base mix, please check the instruction from seller. This is just an experiment, you can use only Canvas base cream instead of 50/50 base & european, or you can use your over counter cream & enrich it with the ingredients you have.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Ivet's got the DIY bug!
Way to go!

Your formula only totals 39%, so I'm a little confused by the percentages. I see your table with tsps. Is that all the % represents?

Ahh, it's tough patenting any formula these days with reverse engineering!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes Eden, it's quite fun to mix all the things...

but you don't count the ingredients that are already in european cream and they are very good too...

here they are copied from theyr site:

Ingredients

Water, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Squalane, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitol.Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Cetyl Alcohol, C14-22 Alcohols, C12-20 Alkyl Glucoside, Stearyl Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Seed Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol

so no secret at all

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Right, I knew you were using a base cream, so I guess you're assuming the 4 oz container ingredients make up the 61%. That's not exactly how it should be done, but, hey, if it works for you, go for it!

1 - 20 of 131 Posts