Skin Care Talk banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just want to suggest you consider the addition of a preservative to the recipe.. The amount in the 'base' cream isn't near enough to support all those actives.. One of the EDTA's would go well in there at .5% (Do you know what the pH is of the finished cream?

Isn't it great to be able to actually have the ability to use the actives available to us at an optimum percentage, rather than the *dusting* that's in the majority of retail products?

I'm totally addicted to DIY..

In case it helps, for anyone who has the lovely ml dosing syringes, here are a few easy calculations to have on hand...

Based on 1oz (30 ml) volume... (Technically it's 28.35 ml, but nothing gets that technical that I've come across.)

.5% = .15 ml
1% = .3 ml
2% = .6 ml
3% = .89 ml
4% = 1.2 ml
5% = 1.5 ml
6% = 1.8 ml
7% = 2.1 ml
8% = 2.4 ml
10% = 3. ml

1 ml = 1/5th tsp
5 ml = 1 tsp
15 ml = 1 TBS
30 ml = 2 TBS = 1oz

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
What's an EDTA???? I'm such a PITA, I know!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Ahhhh, thanks, Gymrat!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Kassy would it be best to leave the green tea extract out of this recipe since there are acids in it ( lactic and ala )? I was reading something about that in the EDS forum. Is there anything else in this recipe you see should not go together? Or will cancel each other out?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I don't know that much about all the synergism of chemicals and all that, but I will tell you this, Goatlady. I LOOOOOOOOVE this cream. Man, does it make my skin feel soft and hydrated and it just looks dewy and fresh. I'm hooked on this stuff! I put in everything just as the OP listed and in the same quantities she listed. it's great just as it is, I think.

·
Administrator
33,762 Posts
I don't know that much about all the synergism of chemicals and all that, but I will tell you this, Goatlady. I LOOOOOOOOVE this cream. Man, does it make my skin feel soft and hydrated and it just looks dewy and fresh. I'm hooked on this stuff! I put in everything just as the OP listed and in the same quantities she listed. it's great just as it is, I think.
What cream are you using fancy?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Thanks Fancy sounds great. Did you buy a base cream or make your own from the 3 ingredient list?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I was always told not 2 put more than 5 or 6 actives into a diy recpie, don't know if this is wrong info, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth anyway.

sounds like a great cream anyway

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I was always told not 2 put more than 5 or 6 actives into a diy recpie, don't know if this is wrong info, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents worth anyway.

sounds like a great cream anyway
Told by whom? Do you/they have any studies to verify this? I'm asking, because, if true, it would also pertain to carrier oil and essential oils, which have actives components in them.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
edensong when I first got into the whole diy thing myself I asked a lot of questions on here and other diy sites and I also went to someone who has been diying formulas and selling them to the public and he told me to stick to 5 or 6 actives per cream.

but Kassy has been diying for far longer than me, so I don't know she may disagree with me, I am just passing on what I have been told.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I appreciate your response, IluvNY. I've been professionally formulating organic skin care for years and DIYing for over 30 years, so it's always important for me to know the source of such statements.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thanks Fancy sounds great. Did you buy a base cream or make your own from the 3 ingredient list?
I used 1/2 and 1/2, the European base and Canvas base. It's so luxurious! LOL!

I don't know about all the actives but I too would be interested to see some science behind that. I haven't been able to find anything to support that theory. But if anyone has it, please share!!

·
Administrator
33,762 Posts
I used 1/2 and 1/2, the European base and Canvas base. It's so luxurious! LOL!

I don't know about all the actives but I too would be interested to see some science behind that. I haven't been able to find anything to support that theory. But if anyone has it, please share!!
I don't think I would really worry so much about it. Look at all the ingred Mad Hippie has in their cream. If it works for you, and you have good results, thats what matters-

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi there.
have been havin fun making kassys c serum for my buddies at work (they love it so far!) , Last week i took the plunge and bought nearly all the stuff for this cream(forgot the reservatrol but i ll get it next time)?? Can it be used after the c serum as long as i wait 30 minutes before applying it ? Also as i have so many ingredients can anyone suggest some other lotions or serums to make-- maybe something more for the eye area ??? Thanks

101 - 120 of 131 Posts