Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had acne for years.... ugh... so i used products that promised to clear up my skin - i tried scrubs, cleansers, toners - everything...

someone recently suggested getting a facial or microderm... what are your thoughts?!?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have had acne for years.... ugh... so i used products that promised to clear up my skin - i tried scrubs, cleansers, toners - everything...

someone recently suggested getting a facial or microderm... what are your thoughts?!?
Hi Lauren T,

I had very bad cystic acne as a teenager, and into my early twenties. I found that scrubs, and cleansers with "beads" in them, only aggrevated the condition. Have you considered Accutane? It is the only thing that helped clear up my condition. In one of the threads I remember reading that accutane has been taken off the market, but generic brands are still available.
Maybe this will be your answer...look into it.

Cheers,
g

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think you should go to a derm to get a diagnosis. It can be a start in the right direction to supressing your acne. I have been diagnosed with hormonal acne even though my face has no acne. It goes from being clear, then I get a few bumps,lol. But the thing that has me is consistancy in a good regimen with focus on being effective yet gentle. Also, try to use a anti-bacterial cleanser and/or lotion that contains Benzoyl Peroxide/Azealic Acid/Tea Tree oil and so forth. And If you have active acne, a scrub can just encourage more breakouts by inducing inflammation on the skin. If you have scarring or want exfoliation, try a chemical method.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts

No microderm if your acne is severe. A microderm will only make matters worse. You want to try and clear the acne first before doing a microderm.

You can try using a cleanser with salicylic acid. Salicylic works great for those that suffer from acne. If you apply a moisturizer, just make sure it is oil free. Having regular facial's is a great thing to do as well. These will sometimes help with the healing process.

You could also make an appt with a dermatologist. I know someone else mentioned Accutane. It isn't off of the market, it is still very much available. I took it. I wouldn't jump to that conclusion though. There are so many other medications, topicals, etc a derm can prescribe for you. Accutane is for those that have tried all other sources and had no such luck.

Do not give up, you will find what works for you, it just might take a little time-

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you have a big moster of a spot, I just put a green tea or better, white tea bag on the spot and it reduces the size and stops hurting within a 30 minutes, usually half the size :) ALso I rub a used tea bag over my face, it seems to be quite effective.

Also drinking green smoothies helps a lot. Trype in green smoothie acne on google

1 - 6 of 6 Posts