Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm suprised to have not read a post about this ingredient here. I've been using it for many years. Strange it's often overlooked considering it's said to be the skins most important natural moisturizer.
It sure is cheap enough. Anyone know how to make it yourself?
I'm spraying my face with it after I apply my vitamin c serum.

Twinlab Na-PCA -- 8 fl oz - Vitacost

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
We don't care about secksay products - we just want products that MAKE us secksay!

Yes I've heard of NaPCA - it's in a lot of products that I've seen. It does help with the moisture factor! It sounds like it does the things that HA and glycerin do, right? Pull moisture out of the air and attract it to the skin???

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't care about secksay products - we just want products that MAKE us secksay!

Yes I've heard of NaPCA - it's in a lot of products that I've seen. It does help with the moisture factor! It sounds like it does the things that HA and glycerin do, right? Pull moisture out of the air and attract it to the skin???
Yep similar to HA and glycerin.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hyaluronic acid & NaPCA

Aging skin needs to be replenished with its natural moisturizer complex to attract and retain water. Hyaluronic acid [HA] is a natural component of healthy skin. The network of collagen fibers below the skin is filled with a composition of water, protein complexes and hyaluronic acid. This jelly-like mixture is necessary for transportation of essential nutrients from the bloodstream, via the capillary network, to the living cells of the skin.

Hyaluronic acid is found in a great abundance in young skin, but overtime, free radical production destroys our hyaluronic acid reserves. By the time we reach our 50th birthday, weâ€2122ve already lost close to half of the hyaluronic acid that we had in our youth. Replenishing the skin with hyaluronic acid can help facilitate healing, repair and antioxidant capacity.

Without proper moisture, nutrients canâ€2122t be delivered to the skin, compromising the entire process of cell renewal. One of the natural humectants (agents that attract and hold water) in young skin is NaPCA (the sodium salt of pyrollidone carboxylic acid). The ability of the skin to hold moisture is directly related to its NaPCA content. Aged skin is depleted of the compound, as well as other humectants, needed to retain water, NaPCA, which is manufactured in human skin by an amino acid conversion, functions to naturally draw moisture and hold it in place within the skin. It is the most powerful, non-toxic humectant known and the most important humectant in the skin.

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
I'm suprised to have not read a post about this ingredient here. I've been using it for many years. Strange it's often overlooked considering it's said to be the skins most important natural moisturizer.
It sure is cheap enough. Anyone know how to make it yourself?
I'm spraying my face with it after I apply my vitamin c serum.

Twinlab Na-PCA -- 8 fl oz - Vitacost
Funny you made this post. I just saw this in Whole Foods, yesterday. What drew my attention to it, was it's simple packaging. White bottle with your basic blue letters on it. I picked it up and read the back, but had never heard of it. Looks like I will be going back to get this. So you apply this after your Vit C? Then I am going to give it a try too periwinkle!! It might be that cheap miracle in a bottle-

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny you made this post. I just saw this in Whole Foods, yesterday. What drew my attention to it, was it's simple packaging. White bottle with your basic blue letters on it. I picked it up and read the back, but had never heard of it. Looks like I will be going back to get this. So you apply this after your Vit C? Then I am going to give it a try too periwinkle!! It might be that cheap miracle in a bottle-
I first read about NaPCA way back in the late 80's when it was highly talked about in the book "Life Extension". I dont believe there would be a problem applying it with your C serum but in case your a little worried it might interfere with the serum, you could wait and apply it right before your sunscreen.
It's so cheap I will probably buy a bottle everytime I order the supplements I buy from Vitacost.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked the ph level with my strips. It is around a ph 7
I will wait my usual 20 minutes after applying my C serum before using the NaPCA
just to be safe.

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Ok sounds great, thanks periwinkle
thought I was the only crazy one so late tonight-lol waiting for my son to get home from the Prom!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Peri do you use then the HA, gyclerin and the NaPCA!

Wasn someone saying on here a few days that the gyclerin can dry out dry skin though? Or maybe im mistaking this one, so long ago now, i forget!

Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Peri do you use then the HA, gyclerin and the NaPCA!

Wasn someone saying on here a few days that the gyclerin can dry out dry skin though? Or maybe im mistaking this one, so long ago now, i forget!

Thanks for the info though.
Yes I'm using HA but not glycerin. Not sure about the glycerin being drying. Seems it would be just the opposite.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
They are all humectants, which means if not diluted properly they can draw moisture OUT of your skin instead of TO your skin. Never use straight glycerin right out of the bottle! HA has to be diluted somehow also. I don't know if yur NaPCA comes already properly diluted or not Peri.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well i have the HA that i use in serum form bnut was just wondering about the NaPCA cause may be if it is good for dry skin i should see if it is available in Uk, anything to help the old dry skin really!

·
Administrator
33,771 Posts
Yes I'm using HA but not glycerin. Not sure about the glycerin being drying. Seems it would be just the opposite.
I am using glycerin in my Vit C serum and it is very moisturizing. Using HA in a very dry climate isn't recommended. As it can actually draw moisture out of the skin. I live in a dry climate, and don't use HA in the middle of summer.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am using glycerin in my Vit C serum and it is very moisturizing. Using HA in a very dry climate isn't recommended. As it can actually draw moisture out of the skin. I live in a dry climate, and don't use HA in the middle of summer.
I've thought of adding glycerin to my serum. Dry is hardly a problem around here in the summer. It's humid as %#@* around here.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts