Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Dr phil a few days ago and saw Robin talking about natural hormones, it seems like it's a magic lotion, no wrinkles, lot of energy, sex drive..............wow.......anyone tried this yet, is it available in Canada??

I emailed her to ask where i could get some, I'm waiting for a reply..........

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
If their refering to ones like Suzane Sommers uses and promotes, then they are usually prescribed by a doctor. One who believes in this. Not all do.
Although some hormones such as dhea, melatonin, etc. can be bought in your local health food store depending on what country you live in.
No wrinkles???? Sure they help when used along with other things like we use here.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If their refering to ones like Suzane Sommers uses and promotes, then they are usually prescribed by a doctor. One who believes in this. Not all do.
Although some hormones such as dhea, melatonin, etc. can be bought in your local health food store depending on what country you live in.
No wrinkles???? Sure they help when used along with other things like we use here.
I have tried natural hormones, the one that I am on now is better than the naturepaths that I was using .

Its called herbal enhancer it is nine herbs that have been used by women for centuries. It helps with skin, supports mammery glands the reproductive system libido
and cleansing of the bowel and energy. Herbal Enhancer - Love being a woman

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I was watching Dr phil a few days ago and saw Robin talking about natural hormones, it seems like it's a magic lotion, no wrinkles, lot of energy, sex drive..............wow.......anyone tried this yet, is it available in Canada??

Nope but I have an apt on Tueday with the Bio-identical Doc, and I am attending a seminar tomarrow night about it. I will let you know!! I watched the same Dr. Phil-great informative show. I love Robin, I would love to look as great as she does. Who wouldn't?

But I will keep you posted on my experiences with them!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts

I saw it too! And Robin was also at Oprah few months ago to promote her book and to talk about hormones. I was as surprised as you when I heard no wrinkles! I think the hardest is to find a pharmacy in Canada that will make this lotion just for your need. I live in Ottawa and I heard there is one at 192 Main Street but I have to call to make sure. But first I need to go check my level of hormones.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I am shamefully ignorant on this topic but am curious to know - exactly what hormones are responsible for hair loss that both men and women experience in mid-life? I would like to know which hormones are involved and how the balance is shifting - I assume some are increasing or decreasing relative to the levels of others.

I am taking all sorts of supplements and using special shampoos, which are eliminating breakage and improving the overall condition of my hair; but they are of limited use vs. hair loss which says to me, at least, that the problem is probably due to changes in hormones.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Here is some info on Bio-identicals.

Oprah and Bioidentical Hormones: FAQ

You do not need to get your hormone levels checked. The bio identical Doc's do all of that for you. Some are done through the blood test, but most are done through a saliva test. I am going to take my levels with me for the Seminar tonight, since they were just done last week. But they may need to do them over. I know the big important test is the saliva test.

I am so excited to learn more at the seminar, I couldn't sleep! But whats new, the no sleep is normal for me. Last night I had something to keep my mind busy while awake, rather than just tossing and turning!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Gymrat, thanks for the link! Your sleep deprivation is due to hormones, according to what I see on Dr. Phil. I often have lack of sleep when I'm too excited about something. That is also one of my concern, even when there is nothing new, I wake up many times! Another question I have, when you will get checked for the hormones level, the level must certainly fluctuate during a month? May result different numbers, isn't it? At your seminar can you ask for this question?

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Gymrat, thanks for the link! Your sleep deprivation is due to hormones, according to what I see on Dr. Phil. I often have lack of sleep when I'm too excited about something. That is also one of my concern, even when there is nothing new, I wake up many times! Another question I have, when you will get checked for the hormones level, the level must certainly fluctuate during a month? May result different numbers, isn't it? At your seminar can you ask for this question?
Yes your levels definately fluctuate through out different times of the month. But I will ask details on this for you. Believe me, I have my folder ready with a lot of questions. I will for sure let you know.

I just really want my hair to grow back
I am getting desperate. There are serums and such I can get for this, but why spend $ on more things, when I know the Bio-identicals are going to cost alot of $ and will help with my loss of hair, so I may as well wait for that.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going for my physical in June, I'm going to ask my doctor about it, and get the test done.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I'm going for my physical in June, I'm going to ask my doctor about it, and get the test done.
My apt is tuesday. I am excited. I already went to my Doc he didn't knock it, but he doesn't offer them. I am not going to an OB/GYN for bio-identicals. Your best bet is to find a Endocrinologist who specializes in the study of hormones/menopause, and andropause (male menopause). There are a few gynecologists and other doctors who have continued their studies and their interest in Bio-identicals. But they are hard to find.

Plus finding a compound pharmacy is the other tricky part. I have 1compound in my whole city, and only 1 Doc for the bio-I am traveling to another city to get an Endocrinologist but I can use my compound pharmacy in my city.

Do a google search on your city and see what you have available. I also know they have mail programs, I just don't know if I am that trusting.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I am shamefully ignorant on this topic but am curious to know - exactly what hormones are responsible for hair loss that both men and women experience in mid-life? I would like to know which hormones are involved and how the balance is shifting - I assume some are increasing or decreasing relative to the levels of others.

I am taking all sorts of supplements and using special shampoos, which are eliminating breakage and improving the overall condition of my hair; but they are of limited use vs. hair loss which says to me, at least, that the problem is probably due to changes in hormones.
Mireckca, if hair thinning is your concern, why not use something topical like Rogaine instead of systemic hormones?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Mireckca, if hair thinning is your concern, why not use something topical like Rogaine instead of systemic hormones?
I absolutely agree! I am not going to start taking hormones for anything, believe me! I have seen too many messed up cases of folks with confused endocrine systems!

My point was merely that I should not get too obsessive about these supplements and shampoos if the root of the problem is hormonal. There is only so much that these can too. But thanks for your suggestion re: Rogaine - at least a topical approach would be less invasive and may be an option for me.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Haha! I knew yu would agree!! Just checking.

It scares me too to start rearranging hormones. I think I am just going au naturale. Otherwise I'd feel like a lab rat. Of course, that's just my decision and others may differ and do quite well!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Gymrat, I forgot to ask: Is there a better time in a month to get check for the hormones level?

I did a google search for compound pharmacy Pharmacies | Anti-aging Naturally, there are lots in Toronto, none in Ottawa.

I googled Rogaine Side effects:
Increased hair loss
Dizziness
Burning of scalp
Inflammation at root of hair
Rash/reddened skin
Upset stomach/vomiting
Acne on scalp
Headaches
Breast tenderness
Increased growth/darker pigmentation of fine (vellus) body hair
and there are more, if you google it, the list gets longer!

·
Registered
515 Posts

I believe that a defeciency of selenium and zinc also causes hair loss.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts

Some causes of hair loss

Severe recent illness
Medication -- especially blood thinners, excessive use of Vit A, gout medication, or underlying diseases such as diabeties
Out of whack thyroid
Hormonal balance should be checked

Only a doctor can tell --- look after yourself mirecka.

·
Registered
102 Posts
They don't know the long term effects of of these hormones that Dr. Phil's wife was taking and as they explained on the show they aren't exactly "all Natural" they just are synthetic hormones like woman have been taking for years. They also explained on the show that they aren't FDA approved b/c they are said to be "more natural" so there are no regulations at all for these products. be careful!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Good point! I do recall, not Dr.Phil's wife but the other woman saying they weren't synthetic, they were all natural, but didn't elaborate what they were exactly!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Some causes of hair loss

Severe recent illness
Medication -- especially blood thinners, excessive use of Vit A, gout medication, or underlying diseases such as diabeties
Out of whack thyroid
Hormonal balance should be checked

Only a doctor can tell --- look after yourself mirecka.
Thanks Mari. Not to worry. I am coping with things as they are and have no plans to take hormones of any sort. Or prostaglandins. Period.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts