Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've been exfoliating and lightening my very dark neck for the past 2 weeks. There were some points where I thought I had PIH but it didn't last long because the moment I felt any stinging discomfort, I applied hydrocortisone and neosporin, let the spot rest for a day and then go back exfoliating and lightening. I'm not sure I really know what PIH looks like though.
Yesterday I did a lite kojic acid scrub down with a loofa in the shower. Afterwards, I grabed a towel to dry off and noticed some dead skin rub off my neck. It wasn't peeling, it felt like it was chemically something i could just wipe off, so I did. I felt a stinging sensation, stopped, and the applied the hydrocortisone.
Base on these pics, do you think I have PIH? I am OK with the current discoloration on my neck because I feel eventually it'll even out, but I don't want to continue applying my lightners or trying to scrub away the darkness if I have PIH. I feel that a lot of the current darkness on my neck is something I could carefully scrub off with a KIT in a day or two.

· Registered
406 Posts
Hi. I've been exfoliating and lightening my very dark neck for the past 2 weeks. There were some points where I thought I had PIH but it didn't last long because the moment I felt any stinging discomfort, I applied hydrocortisone and neosporin, let the spot rest for a day and then go back exfoliating and lightening. I'm not sure I really know what PIH looks like though.
Yesterday I did a lite kojic acid scrub down with a loofa in the shower. Afterwards, I grabed a towel to dry off and noticed some dead skin rub off my neck. It wasn't peeling, it felt like it was chemically something i could just wipe off, so I did. I felt a stinging sensation, stopped, and the applied the hydrocortisone.
Base on these pics, do you think I have PIH? I am OK with the current discoloration on my neck because I feel eventually it'll even out, but I don't want to continue applying my lightners or trying to scrub away the darkness if I have PIH. I feel that a lot of the current darkness on my neck is something I could carefully scrub off with a KIT in a day or two.

I think you should stop all exfoliating for now. Moisturize a lot. It looks a bit raw and that can turn dark when it heals.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you should stop all exfoliating for now. Moisturize a lot. It looks a bit raw and that can turn dark when it heals.
Give it a break but moisturize to keep the area soft
Thanks. This is what I ended up doing, except, in the meantime, I decided to try and remove some skin tags ,from the back my neck, with apple cider vinegar...big mistake. I didn't consider how acidic vinegar is and it ended up burning the spots on and around the skin tags because the skin was already sensitive. Now I have to wait for those spots to heal before I do anything else. :censored: I feel like this could take a full week or 2 to heal. I'm not too bummed since I have other body parts to work on . My hands are starting to peel for the first time and I'm testing some lightening mixtures on my other darkest body part (buttocks). Its day 2 on the butt I already see lightening.

· Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. This is what I ended up doing, except, in the meantime, I decided to try and remove some skin tags ,from the back my neck, with apple cider vinegar...big mistake. I didn't consider how acidic vinegar is and it ended up burning the spots on and around the skin tags because the skin was already sensitive. Now I have to wait for those spots to heal before I do anything else. :censored: I feel like this could take a full week or 2 to heal. I'm not too bummed since I have other body parts to work on . My hands are starting to peel for the first time and I'm testing some lightening mixtures on my other darkest body part (buttocks). Its day 2 on the butt I already see lightening.

What are the products you are using on your neck? Also amazon sells a electric skin tag remover thats works excellent.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What are the products you are using on your neck? Also amazon sells a electric skin tag remover thats works excellent.
I bought an electric skin tag remover from Amazon yesterday. It'll be here Saturday. I am really looking forward to using it.
I'm still pretty new to skin lightening so I threw everything I had at my neck for those 10 days. :ROFLMAO:
I keep detailed notes but it was mainly Amlactin 15% lactic acid lotion and Kojie san soap for most days. I made some mistakes that ended up irritating my neck but I think the Extra Strong Peeling Oil gave me my first real peel and then I occluded with caro white + retain-a mix for 2hours. It left a pale white residue on my neck. 8 hours later when I went to shower thats when I noticed that the darkness on my neck could be washed/ scrubbed off( final pic results).

9 to10 days after the peel/ occlusion, I feel like my neck is still peeling without me having to do anything the darkness is still coming off. My neck , which was once the darkest part of my body is now my lightest ; that means it is lighter and brighter than my face( which is OK because my face lightens easily when I make an effort). I'm still trying to lighten my entire body and kinda wish that my neck wasn't so light because it really makes my overall look to be lighter even though its just the neck that has drastically become lighter. A coworker has already commented twice on my skin since I've started lightening my neck. I think other people see it too but haven't said anything. I've noticed people gaze at me longer even though they've known me for years. lol Maybe they are trying to figure out what has changed. I also lost a crap ton of weight in the past 2 months( 45lbs). I plan on using that as an excuse ,and my new diet, in case someone asks.lol

Here is my neck today . I've used cocobutter to wipe away the darkness and its really helped to even out the discoloration that was so obvious in the first set. Because I am dark-skinned, I like to take pictures in different light settings to get a more realistic idea of people see when they look at me. We dark-skinned black people can change tones very quickly depending on the light.lol

· Registered
8 Posts
Ok, great. The electric remover does hurt, some areas worse than others, so a numbing cream can help with that.
I’m gonna use a few of your solutions🤞🏾, hopefully i will have the same great results. Where did you buy the peeling oil?
Yea, people will notice your transformation, especially if done within a short period of time. It looks great though, good job!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, great. The electric remover does hurt, some areas worse than others, so a numbing cream can help with that.
I’m gonna use a few of your solutions🤞🏾, hopefully i will have the same great results. Where did you buy the peeling oil?
Yea, people will notice your transformation, especially if done within a short period of time. It looks great though, good job!
Thanks. I’m glad the neck is becoming more even. If I can get the rest of my body to lighten, I’ll do a facial peel. I got it from Amazon. Its called extra strong peeling oil. The instructions said to use it 3 times a day for 3 consecutive days but I only used it twice and it was days apart. To be honest , I’m not entirely sure if the oil is the reason for my peeling because I used so much stuff on my neck before and after the peel. At one point I tried a lactic acid peel 50% but it started burning on the previously irritated part. So I wiped it off and used the extra strong oil for 3 minutes until it too started burning. I also once used athletes foot cream as a suggestion from here, switched Kojic soap brands, did a sea salt bath, applied a caro white + retina mix and then switched to a dodo + Caro oil x2 mix.
I really think the Kojic soap exfoliations , amlactin, peels and occlusion days after the peel are what made the most impact.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I feel like I've made a mistake by being overly zealous with lightening my neck during those first 2 weeks. My neck is so much lighter than my face and its now causing me to feel self conscious. The fix would be to just lighten my face to match but I'm hesitant to do so because: 1) the color of my neck is so light that if my facial skin became that light it would be a drastic contrast to my old skin tone.It would be expected for people to question WTF I was doing with my skin. yet still none of their business. 2) I'm really not sure exactly what caused my neck to lighten so much so fast. I know what products I used, when I used them, how I used them, how much I exfoliated etc. I documented everything. But I used so many products and did so many things ,in such a short amount of time, that I can't say for sure what caused it. I don't want to repeat the skin irritations I had during my neck lightening process while trying to lighten my face.

I've decided to start lightening my face but I don't want it to be as light as my neck. I'd prefer it to be a shade or two darker. These past 3 days I've used the Extra Strength Peeling Oil 4 times and did a 50% lactic acid peel on my face this morning, using Essence Maxitone, Skin Light, RetinA, cocobutter, and hydrocortisone to moisture. The peeling started yesterday and, though I've read a lot about not doing manual exfoliation while peeling, its something I did with my neck and got me results despite a little irritation, which was due to scrubbing too hard because I didn't know wtf all the black stuff that came off my neck was. I will not scrub hard this time, I will be very gentle.🤥

I know my face will eventually lighten by just following the safe skin lightening guidelines I've read here, but I'm kinda rushing to lighten it because the contrast between my face and neck are severe. I feel like I need to even it out ASAP even though I could take my time because I don't have anything major coming up except work; which I've found work arounds to hiding my neck.😓

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
I feel like I've made a mistake by being overly zealous with lightening my neck during those first 2 weeks. My neck is so much lighter than my face and its now causing me to feel self conscious. The fix would be to just lighten my face to match but I'm hesitant to do so because: 1) the color of my neck is so light that if my facial skin was to became this light it would be a drastic comparison to my old skin tone.It would be expected for people to question WTF I was doing with my skin. yet still none of their business. 2) I'm really not sure exactly what caused my neck to lighten so much so fast. I know what products I used, when I used them, how I used them, how much I exfoliated etc. I documented everything. But I used so many products and did so many things ,in such a short amount of time, that I can't say for sure what caused it. I don't want to repeat the skin irritations I had during my neck lightening process while trying to lighten my face.

I've decided to start lightening my face but I don't want it to be as light as my neck. I'd prefer it to be a shade or two darker. These past 3 days I've used the Extra Strength Peeling Oil 4 times and did a 50% lactic acid peel on my face this morning, using Essence Maxitone, Skin Light, RetinA, cocobutter, and hydrocortisone to moisture. The peeling started yesterday and, though I've read a lot about not doing manual exfoliation while peeling, its something I did with my neck and got me results despite a little irritation, which was due to scrubbing too hard because I didn't know wtf all the black stuff that came off my neck was. I will not scrub hard this time, I will be very gentle.🤥

I know my face will eventually lighten by just following the safe skin lightening guidelines I've read here, but I'm kinda rushing to lighten it because the contrast between my face and neck are severe. I feel like I need to even it out ASAP even though I could take my time because I don't have anything major coming up exect work; which I've found work arounds to hiding my neck.😓
Awwh @tartryer this happens to more people then you realize......majority would NEVER admit it, but believe me, SO many do exactly what you did. Remember, this is why I always say, tred lightly, don't be in a hurry, and start with 1 product before moving onto others. For this exact reason, you have no idea what worked and what didn't. Now, its up to product elimination. It sounds like you kept good notes, which will truly help you right now!

Stop using so many products, this doesn't help you. This will only complicate things. Go back to exfoliating. Once you've done that for several weeks, then toss in a peel. Be consistent with it, but not overly zealous. Once you've used that for 4/6 wks, then move onto something else, if you are not seeing a noticeable difference. Be careful, the white residue your talking about is probably "frosting". Which happens when you use TCA, and different levels will determine how mild or deep the peel is. My guess is the residue was around areas that were sensitive prior to applying the peeling oil. If you exfoliated really well or peeled previously, this will definately cause your skin to frost. Be careful, because you can actually scar your face peeling too deep and not caring for it properly. Get yourself some neosporin to be on the safe side.

TAKE PICTURES from day 1, then you have something to fall back on. Most times there is a difference but your not seeing it because you see yourself daily.

Don't feel like you have to explain yourself to anyone. If someone asks questions, tell them you had a facial, and they applied a chemical peel. Nothing wrong with that........the minute you say "chemical" they will be wowed and start asking questions!! You don't have to say YOU applied a chemical peel ;).

I will never forget when I applied a peel to my hands. I was so afraid people were going to question me.......those that did, felt pretty foolish, as I explained I had a peel done. When people hear that, they want the 411. Don't give it to them, that's the pay off for all your hardwork!!

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Awwh @tartryer this happens to more people then you realize......majority would NEVER admit it, but believe me, SO many do exactly what you did. Remember, this is why I always say, tred lightly, don't be in a hurry, and start with 1 product before moving onto others. For this exact reason, you have no idea what worked and what didn't. Now, its up to product elimination. It sounds like you kept good notes, which will truly help you right now!

Stop using so many products, this doesn't help you. This will only complicate things. Go back to exfoliating. Once you've done that for several weeks, then toss in a peel. Be consistent with it, but not overly zealous. Once you've used that for 4/6 wks, then move onto something else, if you are not seeing a noticeable difference. Be careful, the white residue your talking about is probably "frosting". Which happens when you use TCA, and different levels will determine how mild or deep the peel is. My guess is the residue was around areas that were sensitive prior to applying the peeling oil. If you exfoliated really well or peeled previously, this will definately cause your skin to frost. Be careful, because you can actually scar your face peeling too deep and not caring for it properly. Get yourself some neosporin to be on the safe side.

TAKE PICTURES from day 1, then you have something to fall back on. Most times there is a difference but your not seeing it because you see yourself daily.

Don't feel like you have to explain yourself to anyone. If someone asks questions, tell them you had a facial, and they applied a chemical peel. Nothing wrong with that........the minute you say "chemical" they will be wowed and start asking questions!! You don't have to say YOU applied a chemical peel ;).

I will never forget when I applied a peel to my hands. I was so afraid people were going to question me.......those that did, felt pretty foolish, as I explained I had a peel done. When people hear that, they want the 411. Don't give it to them, that's the pay off for all your hardwork!!
Thank you so much for that. I've always kept neosporin on hand as a quick-fix healing solution, even before skin lightening. I use it for cuts, sores, bruises, burns from direct heat, and ,now, chemical burns. Its like magic. Yes, the frosting was on my already irritated neck and the worst of it was on my leftside which ended up becoming slightly lighter than the rest.

I won't lie, I am still throwing on diffrent products and mixtures on my body that I made last month. I'm going to tone it down. I keep making notes to do so but I always end up using another product/ mix when I don't see instant changes; which I know does not usually happen. Right now, I'm telling myself that if I can get my facial shade down a few tones to somewhat match my neck then I will just stop everything and exfoliate for 3 weeks before doing anything else to my skin.

I remember a month ago I was feeling just as hopeless when nothing seemed to be really working for my neck. I even stopped exfoliating my face and neck together because it would make my face look too light with a super dark neck. Now its almost the opposite. I started this thinking it wouldn't bother me what people thought but now that I know how quick and extreme the changes can be, I'm questioning if I'm mentally prepared to deal with the people in my life commenting on these changes. I've lost 50lbs in the last 2 months and plan to lose another 30 to 40. People are have already started telling me not to lose anymore, even though I'm technically still 'overweight' , they questioned me on how much I plan to lose. I'm dieting with Keto while on a caloric restriction, also fasting for a day after I eat non Keto friendly meals.I also exercise 3 to 4 times a week (not day.lol) for 20+ minutes. All healthy, but people will still comment on my new changes and I know I can't avoid it. I don't plan on explaining anything to anyone but my niece recently got her cosmotology degree and I'll just tell non-family that shes helping me take care of my skin.lol

· Administrator
34,227 Posts
Thank you so much for that. I've always kept neosporin on hand as a quick-fix healing solution, even before skin lightening. I use it for cuts, sores, bruises, burns from direct heat, and ,now, chemical burns. Its like magic. Yes, the frosting was on my already irritated neck and the worst of it was on my leftside which ended up becoming slightly lighter than the rest.

I won't lie, I am still throwing on diffrent products and mixtures on my body that I made last month. I'm going to tone it down. I keep making notes to do so but I always end up using another product/ mix when I don't see instant changes; which I know does not usually happen. Right now, I'm telling myself that if I can get my facial shade down a few tones to somewhat match my neck then I will just stop everything and exfoliate for 3 weeks before doing anything else to my skin.

I remember a month ago I was feeling just as hopeless when nothing seemed to be really working for my neck. I even stopped exfoliating my face and neck together because it would make my face look too light with a super dark neck. Now its almost the opposite. I started this thinking it wouldn't bother me what people thought but now that I know how quick and extreme the changes can be, I'm questioning if I'm mentally prepared to deal with the people in my life commenting on these changes. I've lost 50lbs in the last 2 months and plan to lose another 30 to 40. People are have already started telling me not to lose anymore, even though I'm technically still 'overweight' , they questioned me on how much I plan to lose. I'm dieting with Keto while on a caloric restriction, also fasting for a day after I eat non Keto friendly meals.I also exercise 3 to 4 times a week (not day.lol) for 20+ minutes. All healthy, but people will still comment on my new changes and I know I can't avoid it. I don't plan on explaining anything to anyone but my niece recently got her cosmotology degree and I'll just tell non-family that shes helping me take care of my skin.lol
Congrats to you on the weight loss, that alone is a huge accomplishment. Sounds like your determined and motivated to make changes. If you've lost weight plus lightened you will really throw them off. Keep up the great work, just go easy on the products ;)

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: My face is now more even with my neck. I didn't intend to lighten up this soon but the first cut(my neck) was the deepest so, for my sanity, my face had to lighten.
As excepted, people quickly noticed and I was not ready for the questions, compliments, and concerns. I rambled about sugar scrubs, medication ,retin-a... I even said something about a 'doctor' LOL I don't remember. Its OK though. I've started shutting people down with " I just turned <AGE> and this is the year I'm going to focus on my skin. New me.". Again, I know I've had some major changes in the past 3 months( 55lbs weight loss; new haircut) but people are acting like I've gone 'light-skinned' when really I've all I've done is become a lighter shade of brown.

I'm now doing YPO and lactic acid body peels so that all of my skin will become a more even shade. I've paused all facial and neck lightening because the skin is brighter than I intended it to be at this point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts