Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just received my order of L-Ascorbic acid, glycerin and my ph strips. I purchased distilled water. Now I do not have a dark colored vial, so I went to my local health food store, no luck there, next I went to CVS (pharmacy/drugstore) I asked the pharmacist if they had or sold any, they did not. She did give me an empty medicine bottle you know those orange ones (one that would be used for liquid cough syrup etc.) would I be able to store the serum in that????also I need a little guidance, as I have never made any home made lotions or potions. PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just a note, I would of purchased one when I ordered my Vitamin C and other stuff but they only sold clear bottles and I did not think I should use the clear.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Mom. You can use any bottle at all, just wrap foil or anything opaque around it to keep light out. I like dropper bottles since I can dispense it without putting my fingers into the bottle.

Here is a simple recipe - from EssentialDaySpa.com -(CarrieKate's recipe)

"Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy†for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think Iâ€2122ve got a winner here!!

FYI - I ordered my propylene glycol from this website: The Personal Formulator - Your Ingredient Supplier for Handcrafted Personal Care Products and this is the link to the brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought at my local Whole Foods: http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=ca...19&_ccn_test=1.

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluble."

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hellloooooooo...where are all the chemists....this patient needs some help, I am looking for an assistant....the pay is not that great..LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased this from makingcosmetics.com it says putity 99.4% ph 3 (white powder) I already have oily skin, so this may make it a bit more oily?? Ok should I apply in the morning before GC (wait like 30minutes in between) or should I do at night?? I use GC 2X a day now (morning and night)...

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I purchased this from makingcosmetics.com it says putity 99.4% ph 3 (white powder) I already have oily skin, so this may make it a bit more oily?? Ok should I apply in the morning before GC (wait like 30minutes in between) or should I do at night?? I use GC 2X a day now (morning and night)...
I meant purity not putity

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Just take it one step at a time! LOL It's cheap so if you goof, just start over with a new batch!'

I like to add a couple drops of vit E oil (puncture the gel caps and squeeze it out) and a bit of lecithin to disperse the E oil. These are available at health food stores. The E helps to preserve the C and helps with the protective abilities of the serum too. Be sure the C powder is well dissolved before adding anything else tho.

The glycerin might be too oily for you. Did you see the part where she used propylene glycol instead? I used rosehip seed oil instead of either of these and got a nice serum. You could use hazelnut oil if your skin is oily.

Did I make it worse by saying that???

You can use it either time, but just once a day and wait 20 min after washing to apply the C serum. I would wait a little before applying the GC too.
It is labor intensive, but that the way it is.

Don't forget sunscreen and exercise/massage! It all works together! There is no one magic bullet!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No not at all...thank you....after I make the serum do I need to keep it refrigerated??? sorry for all the questions..just want to get it right

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...Thank you for all of your help...gymrat was also very helpful...she is the one who finally convinced me to try it for myself. You guys are so knowledgeable. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Mom i know im changing the topic here but if you not seeing results from lev 6 GC then personally i would move up to lev 9, i know i did not see enough myself on lev 3 and once i moved up to lev 6 my face instantly started getting better, for me i noticed that the spots i seemed to have (apparently these were caused from me having a fringe on me forehead all the time, went almost straight away) i even am hopping my fine lines i have around my eye area are begginning to fade too, is looking this way!

My point was this all happened within about a week of using lev 6, the only reason why im stepping down to lev 3 and using this now twice a day is cause my face got too dry for my liking around t zone area and under eyes!

Also the neck for me when applying GC is very sensative almost peeled straight away, when i spoke to kevin he suggested just using GC once a week around neck to start with and then may be building up to twice at most, you dont want to put too much GC on your neck area at least to start with is my opinion!

The Vit c is really easy to make once you get the hang of it and im crap at chemistry, personally i think it is better to use vit c in morning and then GC late afternoon and again before bed but this is just me!

Hope it works out for you, good luck with it

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks NY....I was just telling peri, I made the batch of C serum last nigh, wrapped it up stuck it in the refrig. When I checked the ph the strip did not change any color????? what did I do wrong?? how do I fix.

Yes I think I am going to move up to L9 thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts