Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

So i have been using hydroquinone 4% and retin a-0.025% for 6 weeks now...

My skin has improved so much in this 6 weeks than 5 months of using other
stuff tht didnt work at all..

my question is tht just yesterday my skin has started to look really dull...
i dont get it... i may have lightened a shade... But no glow ,,, my skin just looks
so blah... and its really upsettin me... i dont want to get discouraged....

my question is tht is this normal? or am i reacting negatively to the hydraquinone? im afraid im going to get darker...

i have been avoiding the sun and wearing sunscreen...

I have darkness around my mouth area and it sometimes is present and at other times it goes away....

any suggestions would help... i was making good progress

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Sometimes that dull look (this happens to me too) is the RA having loosened a layer of dead skin that is about to exfoliate off. RA works beneath the skin by dissolving the 'glue' that holds the dead skin in place. When this happens, I usually have dead skin rolling off my face in the shower. Give it a little time.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I have the same problem, ive been using the 0.1 for almost two months- 7 weeks, and I cant for the life of me belive that I have THAT much dead skin cell to be having dull skin since I started, its been well over 2 skin cycles already, also the only time my skin glows and shows the real lightening is when I wash my face and manually exofliate after the shower but then when I put the retin-A and strong HQ on it goes back to the dull mode.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
r u sure? Cause i dont have any flakiness or dry skin...
my skin is the softest it has ever been... n the texture has improved alot...
I havent lightened drastically at all.. but like you said using this method gives you gradual lightening....before my skin would look really bad without make up.... now it doesnt... so i know i have lightened up a bit...
that is why i dont want to be discouraged... cause i really see hope in this methind...

onidine are my results normal tough? am i supposed to get really light after 6 weeks or will it take some time... i know you have answered this before... but rite now im jst a bit confused...

and lastly i just wanted to thnk u ... alot of my scars due to makari are gradually fading away... My friend even commented that my skin looks so much better... So thnk u so much... May god bless u... I have recieved the best advice frm this forum.,,

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Try some AHA's or a micro fiber cloth. I have to with the flakes I get from RA.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Try a 50% Lactic peel ( leave on for 5-6 minutes) and/or a microdermabrasion treatment. You'll see great results! Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Lactic or Glycolic peels are great. LnL all I can tell you is when I gently rub my face with this cloth then rinse I feel tons of dead skin. It glows when I am done and is VERY smooth. It is great to use really.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Lactic or Glycolic peels are great. LnL all I can tell you is when I gently rub my face with this cloth then rinse I feel tons of dead skin. It glows when I am done and is VERY smooth. It is great to use really.
Goatlady, does it get ALL the flakes off? I thought I had gotten all mine off this morning by using my salicylic cleanser and my Likas soap, and gently rolling some off in the shower. My skin felt incredibly smooth, but then today I was STILL flaky! Is there any real way to get all the flakes off each day? Any hints from you or anyone would be great!

Also, when you get them off with the cloth, does your face feel really sore or sensitive?

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Goatlady, does it get ALL the flakes off? I thought I had gotten all mine off this morning by using my salicylic cleanser and my Likas soap, and gently rolling some off in the shower. My skin felt incredibly smooth, but then today I was STILL flaky! Is there any real way to get all the flakes off each day? Any hints from you or anyone would be great!

Also, when you get them off with the cloth, does your face feel really sore or sensitive?
Hi Karenannev-

I can't say my cloth gets EVERY flake off, but pretty darn close.

My face isn't ever sore from using the cloth. Red, definately, but not always, just depends on what products I have been using. You do not want to apply too much pressure when you use this cloth. I also wring mine out pretty well, and achieve a better glow by doing so.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
What gymrat said! Gently use this cloth. I always cleanse first, then use the cloth damp after rinsing. It gets a lot of my flakes for sure, but I suppose with using the products like RA we are constantly shedding. If I feel my skin can tolerate it I use it morning and night, but you have to be careful do it gently.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll have to get myself one. What about the redness? Any tips or tricks for toning it down. I had to take an anti-inflammatory yesterday because my face felt really hot at about midday. And it was so red!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Further to my last post, I really don't want to wear foundation as it sort of defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to achieve. I was thinking along the lines of maybe a sunblock which soothes or maybe a mild hydrocortisone cream or something. Could I use that daily to tone down redness?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
OMG I just had an idea! I might try the Invisible Zinc sunblock someone talked about on the sunblock thread! It's meant to be great for rosacea sufferers. And isn't zinc good for your skin? And I used zinc cream on my son's nappy/diaper rash to soothe! Do you think this would work?

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
OMG I just had an idea! I might try the Invisible Zinc sunblock someone talked about on the sunblock thread! It's meant to be great for rosacea sufferers. And isn't zinc good for your skin? And I used zinc cream on my son's nappy/diaper rash to soothe! Do you think this would work?
I think this sunblock would be fine to use. As long as it isn't too white for your likings.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I don't think it is white. I had a look at the site and it is supposed to be totally invisible. Hopefully it is, anyway!

BTW I used some Emu Oil between my HQ and sunblock and the redness was nowhere near as bad today! Hopefully I've found my solution

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I used to use a zinc ointment on my son too. Very soothing. It did leave a white colour on his skin, though. Let's hope the one on the site really is invisible.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I don't think it is white. I had a look at the site and it is supposed to be totally invisible. Hopefully it is, anyway!

BTW I used some Emu Oil between my HQ and sunblock and the redness was nowhere near as bad today! Hopefully I've found my solution
the day i find the perfect sunblock ill be so happy. I wish they came in big pump bottles cause where i used to used them only when going to the beach, im now wearing them everyday .. Do you only use it on exposed areas or do you use it everywhere (sunblock)?

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I used to use a zinc ointment on my son too. Very soothing. It did leave a white colour on his skin, though. Let's hope the one on the site really is invisible.
Yes, I hope so. It looks like it is.

The Facial Company: Dermalogica, bareMinerals, Alpha-H, Priori & more - Shop by brand - Invisible Zinc

There are more informative sites but this one mentions the invisibility. I still haven't bought it but will let you know how it is tomorrow or the next day when I get it. I like the idea of it not breaking down in the sun.

Although it is supposed to be SPF 30+, I don't know what the real SPF is. In Australia by law, labels are not allowed to state anything more than SPF 30+. Like in France where it is 50+. It is such a stupid law!

Gee, sorry to get so off your topic, Nurse24! I should have put this in the sunblock thread. How are you going with the dullness? Hopefully it was just a temporary thing. Maybe try some Vitamin C serum? I haven't tried it myself yet but it's supposed to be great for giving a glow!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts