Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this and trying to piece all the information together. Hopefully you seasoned pros don't mind helping me out with a few questions!

1. First of all, for the serum, is hyaluronic acid better for the skin than glycerin? or is the choice difference just due to how it dissolves the other ingredients?

2. I'm looking to make my first serum with l-ascorbic acid, vitamin e oil, and ferulic acid, along with either the hyaluronic acid or glycerin. Is there a reasonably-priced website that sells all of these things, so I can save on shipping costs?

3. I currently have a prescription for epiduo. It contains adapalene (a retinoid), but I believe that the tretinoin in retin-a is much more effective retinoid. I will ask my dermatologist to switch me at my next appointment (2 months away). Until then, should I keep with the epiduo, or try ordering tretinoin from a site like alldaychemist?

4. I plan to make my routine include the tretinoin at night before bedtime, and then use the serum in the morning. But what about a moisturizer? I normally don't wear makeup, but I like to moisturize before I head out for the day. And right now, I just use whatever spf-containing inexpensive drug store lotion I find. What sort of facial moisturizers do you recommend considering the rest of my routine?

Thanks in advance!! You have all already been a big help with all of the information I've read in these threads.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi and welcome!
1) hyaluronic acid would be my choice unless your skin is VERY dry. Glycerin is a bit greasy looking
2) no there is not a site where you can buy everything all at once.
Lotioncrafter.com, bulkactives.com and skinactives.com are the sites most often used.
3) use up the adapalene
4) any moisturizer that suits your skintype is good. the C+E+ferulic+jojoba is enough moisture for some. Use a high spf/high ppd sunscreen. If you use one that is moisturizing you can leave out the separate moisturizer - I like LaRoche-Posay, Bioderm, and Avene brands.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

The benzoyl peroxide in the epiduo is really drying me out, so I've decided to go with jojoba as the base for the serum. Hopefully it helps bring back some moisture.

I've only been using the epiduo for 3 weeks, and I've noticed that my pores are already smaller and my tone is better. But overall I think my skin looks worse, I suddenly have fine lines around my eyes and my skin seems less springy, I'm thinking it's because I'm overdry and in an adjustment period? Hope it comes back to life soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts