Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
Vaseline/Petroleum jelly I suppose. what are you allergic too that is in neosporin, do you know?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Well you can try the old salt water trick! (sea salt and water). We go through tubes of Polysporin a month here, but sometimes I forget to pick more up, and that is what we do a little sea salt and warm water on a cloth for a minute or two, just to clean it up. It does work, but sometimes it can sting as bad as iodine!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Or even lavender oil or tea tree oil

·
Administrator
33,874 Posts
You should always dilute an essential oil (like tea tree or lavender) in a carrier oil (like jojoba) before applying or it will cause irritation and tissue damage.
Or.......you could put salt and lemon juice on that open wound and see if it feels close to straight tea tree oil!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I must have a strong pain threshold, because I use neat tea tree oil and lavender quite a bit - afterall, they are both antibacterial. Lavender is particularly good for burns or insect bites as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Coat the wound with sugar and bandage it.

Sugar will draw out the infection. A trip to the vet taught me this. A stake had impaled my dogs foot and this is how I was instructed to perform treatments until it healed. It worked.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
[quote from MountainRoseHerbs.com, a supplier of organic cold-pressed oils]
As with all essential oils, never use them undiluted. Do not take internally unless working with a qualified and expert practitioner. Keep away from children. If applying an essential oil to your skin always perform a small patch test to an insensitive part of the body (after you have properly diluted the oil in an appropriate carrier).
Essential Oils from Mountain Rose Herbs

I would always dilute an EO or at least do a patch test before applying it "neat"!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
909 Posts
It really does depend on what you google up doesn't it. I have read that tea tree oil and lavender oil are the only two oils that can be applied neat - say on spots, or bites, burns - you wouldn't use it over a large area. I always have both in my medicine cabinet and have never had any problem using them neat.

Lavender oil is brilliant for burns and if you have been bitten, there is nothing like it for taking the itch away.

Tea tree oil is often used to apply to the odd spot with a q-tip.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I am not 'getting at you' Fawnie - what I mean is, if you type 'Can you use Tea Tree Oil/Lavendar oil neat' - you get quite a few different websites come up (quite reputable ones as well), that say both these oils can be used neat. I agree that most essential oils should be used with a carrier oil but these two oils are antifungal and antibacterial and can be used neat (clearly, if you have sensitive skin, you should be quite careful).

I always take these oils with me on holiday as a 'first aid' security and don't have any problem using them neat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts