Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used "Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser" (and some Mederma on my forehead, but it wasn't that because my forehead is the only spot that's not hurting on my face) and after using Neutrogena, I now have stinging, dry, irritated red spots on both of sides of my face, around my lips and chin. It hurts a lot, and burns bad when I smile or laugh. It's been like this for around 2 days. Anytime I put lotion or anything other than cold water on it, it starts hurting even more. It goes away a bit when i go to sleep in a room full of cold air, and then coming back when I get up and up for a bit. I don't even leave the house that much, so it's not the sun or anything like that. I'm scared, will this go away on its own? Should I see a doctor?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It sounds like you may be having an allergic reaction to something in the product. I don't know the ingredients, but do you know if it has salicylic acid in it? That can be really harsh on some people's skin, but then again, so can a lot of other things. I would suggest a doctor visit if it hasn't improved, and stop using that product until you figure out what's going on with your skin. To sooth it, you can try a cortisone cream, jojoba oil, or emu oil. That may help.

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
I used "Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser" (and some Mederma on my forehead, but it wasn't that because my forehead is the only spot that's not hurting on my face) and after using Neutrogena, I now have stinging, dry, irritated red spots on both of sides of my face, around my lips and chin. It hurts a lot, and burns bad when I smile or laugh. It's been like this for around 2 days. Anytime I put lotion or anything other than cold water on it, it starts hurting even more. It goes away a bit when i go to sleep in a room full of cold air, and then coming back when I get up and up for a bit. I don't even leave the house that much, so it's not the sun or anything like that. I'm scared, will this go away on its own? Should I see a doctor?
Is this the cleanser or the scrub? The cleanser is orange. They have a Deep Clean scrub as well that is blue.

I would say you are having a reaction to some of the ingredients. Or you scrubbed it too hard and irritated your skin.

Try putting aloe vera gel on it to see if it helps. If it isn't clearing up in a few days, definately get in with your Dr.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There may be different ingredients in the one that isn't in the other, hence the lack of reaction. Or it could be that you've just over-abused your skin and it needs a rest. You could compare the ingredients of the two products, then do a google search on the ones that are different and see if others have had similar reactions. Is your skin still red?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
C'mon man, common sense dictates exactly what clabbergirl said, they'll use different ingredients for different products.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sounds like a chemical burn to me - ouch! I know, because I got one from using a Skinceuticals AHA serum that was too aggressive for me. I had angry red patches ALL over my face, and they burned and itched like crazy - it was all I could do to keep my hands off of my face. But what really helped me, aside from immediately discontinuing use of the serum(it took a full 2 weeks for this irritation/burn to catch up with me)was daily applications of a home-made mask of ground-up oatmeal, honey and aloe vera gel, left on for a half-hour and then rinsed off. I was reduced to only being able to use Cetaphil cleanser, and my own home-made shea butter and coconut oil combo that has some lavender essential oil.
Anyhow, you're going to have to keep things very simple and soothing for a good while, because skin that has been compromised in this manner can look perfectly OK, but still be very reactive. It's nearly a year later, and I still cannot wear sunblocks. I was however able to step up to using Cetaphil Cream during the day, and the Neutrogena Pore Refining Cleanser, as my skin is the sort that NEEDS some daily exfoliation - otherwise it just looks dull. Having to go extremely simple for quite awhile healed up my skin, but it got dull from not exfoliating.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Neutrogena cleansers have always irritated my skin. They strip the natural oils from it and dry it out very badly. Also, I don't like the idea of have salicylic in my cleanser because: A. I use my cleanser to wash off eye makeup and that stuff should not go near eyes and; B. Cleansers aren't left on the skin long enough for the exfoliant to be effective, you are washing the ingredient right down the drain before it can do anything.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Try applying aloe vera gel on your face like Gymrat suggested. It will help in soothing and healing your skin. Wash your face with organic neem soap or face wash containing neem oil. Neem has numerous skin benefits and it will help dry and heal your spots.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts